Ricoh has announced a 6 megapixel compact digicam with a 28-160mm lens packed into a slim 26mm thick black finish body. The Caplio R40 is a more affordable version of the Caplio R4 camera (announced in February) and sports a 5.7x zoom, 2.5-inch LCD and a skew correction function.
RICOH Caplio R40
Ricoh Unveils the Caplio R40, a Compact Digital Camera with a 5.7x Optical Zoom (28-160 mm) in a Sleek, Pocket-sized Body
May 12, 2006, Tokyo – Ricoh Co., Ltd. (president: Masamitsu Sakurai) today announced the release of the new Caplio R40 compact digital camera, featuring a 5.7x optical wide zoom (equivalent to 28-160 mm in 35-mm camera format) in a slim body only 26-mm deep.
Available in black, the new Caplio R40 is a more affordable version of the highly successful Caplio R4 (released on March 17, 2006), which featured a 7.1x (28-200 mm) optical wide zoom lens. Inheriting the Caplio R4‘s unique Double Retracting Lens System*, the R40 houses a 5.7x (28-160 mm) wide-angle, high-powered zoom lens in its compact, 26-mm deep body.
* Designed to have part of the lens assembly inside the camera’s body during lens storage, the wide-angle, high-powered zoom lens is more compact.
Ricoh takes pride in manufacturing products based on the concept of Expandability. In addition to its highly versatile wide zoom lens, the new R40 caters for every photographic situation. Thanks to the R40’s enhanced macro capabilities – a specialty of Ricoh – and ultra-quick response, this is a camera that gets results anywhere, anytime. No longer will users miss shooting opportunities as they wait for their camera to power up or the Auto Focus to lock.
Main Features of the Caplio R40:
The newly developed Double Retracting Lens System makes it possible to ﬁt a 5.7x (28-160mm in 35mm) wide zoom lens into the R40’s slim body, which is at a mere 26mm deep ﬁts comfortable into the pocket.
- Ricoh’s innovative Double Retracting Lens System, newly developed from the original Retracting Lens System, allows the lens assembly to be stored in the camera body during lens storage. This enables the 26 mm body to hold a 5.7x wide zoom lens (28-160 mm in 35-mm equivalent).
- The highly versatile Caplio R40 delivers outstanding results in practically any photographic situation. These vary from sweeping landscapes to indoor shots needing a wide-angle 28mm lens to capture close-ups using 160mm telephoto.
The macro function, a Ricoh hallmark, has been further enhanced.
- The R40 features a top-of-its-class macro mode, enabling users to photograph an object from as close as just 1 cm and opening up a whole new world of photographic opportunity.
- The Zoom Macro Function automatically sets the focal distance of the lens at the optimum distance for capturing an object as large and close-up as possible.
- If AF Target Selection is used, it is even possible to focus on different objects without moving the camera.
Rapid response for stress-free shooting.
Release time lag (the time from the instant the shutter button is fully pressed – without engaging pre-focus – until exposure actually starts) is as fast as approximately 0.09 seconds. Quick response is essential in order to capture those brief, picture-perfect moments of which memories are made, such as the smile of a small child or the playfulness of a pet. The R40’s near-instantaneous reactions mean such shots are now within easy reach.
- Time calculated from the instant the focus is locked (half-press) until exposure actually starts is an astonishing 0.007 seconds.
- Shooting interval and start-up time (approx. 1.1 seconds) are both rapid (measured while the ﬂ ash is off).
Long-life rechargeable battery and charger let you shoot approximately 350 pictures on a single charge.
- The power-saving capability of the R40’s internal circuitry means it is possible to capture up to 350 separate images under CIPA standards using the long-life rechargeable battery and charger (included with the camera), even while using the large, high-resolution 2.5-inch LCD display.
High-deﬁnition pictures thanks to a 6-megapixel CCD coupled with Ricoh’s original image processing engine.
- The 6-megapixel CCD combined with Ricoh’s Smooth Imaging Engine enables high-speed processing and noise reduction, resulting in clear, high-deﬁnition images with faithful colour reproduction.
- Users can select an aspect ratio (the horizontal to vertical ratio of the image) of 3:2. This is the same as standard 35-mm photo prints, so there is no need to crop and lose part of the original image.
The skew correction function.
- An original algorithm, which automatically detects trapezoids in images and corrects them to rectangles makes the R40 highly effective in business environments where blackboards, overhead projectors, schedules, signboards, etc. cannot be shot from the front.
Large 2.5-inch LCD makes for easy composition and increased efﬁciency.
- The Caplio R40 sports a crystal clear, large 2.5-inch LCD monitor.
- During playback, 12 pictures can be displayed simultaneously on the large screen. While checking pictures, the screen can be divided into three parts to allow fast forwarding and rewinding.
- The brightness of the LCD can be increased to maximum with a single touch, and visibility can be adjusted for well-lit environments.
Includes rechargeable Lithium-ion battery, AV cable, USB cable, software (on CD-ROM), and wrist strap.
Caplio R40 Optional Accessories:
Rechargeable Battery: DB-60
Battery Charger: BJ-6
AC Adapter : AC-4c
Soft Camera Case: SC-60
Available: June 2006
Colours available: black
1/2.5 " Type CCD
|Image sizes|| 2816 X 2112
2784 X 1856
2048 X 1536
1280 X 960
640 X 480
|Movie clips|| 320 X 240
160 X 120
AVI Motion JPEG with WAV audio
|File formats|| JPEG Exif 2.21
|Lens|| 28-160mm equiv
5.7x optical zoom
|Digital zoom||up to 3.6x|
|Focus|| Auto Focus
|AF assist lamp||Yes|
|Focus distance|| Normal: 0.3m - infinity (wide) / 0.84m - infinity (tele)
Macro: 0.01m - infinity (wide) / 0.08 - infinity (tele)
|Metering|| TTL-CCD method photometric system
256 Multi segment
|ISO sensitivity|| Auto
|Exposure compensation|| +/- 2.0 EV
in 1/3 EV steps
|Exposure bracketing||-0.5 EV. +/- 0. +0.5 EV|
|Shuttter speed||8, 4, 2, 1-1/2000 sec|
|Aperture||F3.3 - 4.8|
|White balance|| Auto
Fixed (Outdoors, Cloudy, Tungsten Light 1 & 2, Fluorescent, Manual)
|Self timer||2 or 10 sec|
Range: 0.2 - 2.4m (wide) / 0.14 - 1.85m (tele)
|LCD monitor|| 2.5-inch Translucent Amorphous Silicon TFT
|Connectivity|| USB 1.1
NTSC / PAL
|Storage|| SD card compatible
26MB internal memory
|Power|| Rechargeable battery DB-60 included
Optional AC adapter
|Weight (no batt)||135 g|
|Dimensions||95 x 26 x 53 mm (excluding projections)|
May 15, 2009
May 1, 2009
Apr 22, 2009
Feb 20, 2009
|Orange-tip Butterfly by anisah|
from Nature's Colour Palette
|Windswept juniper by Kreber|
from Wind power