CES 2004: Nikon has today announced the new Coolpix 3200 and 2200. These two cameras are based around the same body (which is similar to the Coolpix 3100) and have a three and two megapixel CCD sensor respectively. Both have the same three times optical zoom lens which has a close 4 cm macro focus capability. This pair of entry level Coolpix digital cameras also feature 14.5 MB of built-in flash memory for storage without the optional SD card or for instance in an emergency when the SD card is full. They are powered by two EN-MH1 NiMH batteries which are included along with the charger. Nikon has also introduced a waterproof case for these cameras (although this won't be available in the US).
Press Release (Nikon Europe):
Two New Digital Cameras from Nikon
COOLPIX 2200 and COOLPIX 3200
Amsterdam, January 8, 2004 - Nikon, a world leader in film and digital cameras, today announced the introduction of two new compact digital cameras COOLPIX2200 and COOLPIX3200 (www.europe-nikon.com) to its COOLPIX consumer line-up.
Following the success of the current popular COOLPIX2100 and COOLPIX3100, the two new models are designed not only for the first time digital camera buyers, but also for the more experienced users looking for a digital camera with comfortable handling and easy operation.
The COOLPIX 2200 offers 2.0 effective megapixels while the COOLPIX 3200 incorporates a 3.2 effective Megapixel CCD, each with Nikon's well-known Nikkor lens. Both models features enhanced image-processing technology to ensure accurate color reproduction, sharp contrast and achieve consistently high image quality.
Compact and lightweight, both cameras are easy to hold with a steady grip. The Graphic User Interface (GUI) displays easy-to-see menus on a bright and large 1.6-in. TFT LCD monitor for instant review of images. All controls are placed on the back of the camera for convenient access.
Digital Simplicity: Like all other models in the COOLPIX series, the COOLPIX 2200 and the COOLPIX 3200 have been designed to make picture taking easy and fast. In line with this it features 15 handy Scene Modes range from sunsets to fireworks and the 4 new Scene Assistant function makes it easier for beginners to capture any moment at a turn of the dial.
Both cameras have a large internal storage memory allowing immediate pictures taking without SD memory card inserted. Two-way copying of stored images between the internal memory and SD cards is easy and fast.
A range of other features make shooting more fun. Five color options comprising Standard color, Vivid color, Black-and-white, Sepia, and Cyanotype can be used to achieve creative results. A useful Blur Warning function alerts users if a picture needs another attempt.
Offering more convenience, both cameras are compatible with a wide range of rechargeable and disposable batteries, including alkaline batteries.
As an optional accessory, the newly developed waterproof case is available allowing the user taking pictures during holidays on the beach, in the rain, or even underwater while scuba diving to 40m depths.
Both models including the waterproof case are expected to be available in Spring, 2004.
Note: Specifications, design, product name and standard accessories may
differ by country or area.
Nikon COOLPIX 2200 and COOLPIX 3200 Major Features
- COOLPIX 2200: 2.0 effective megapixels
- COOLPIX 3200: 3.2 effective megapixles
- 3x optical Zoom-Nikkor lens with 4.7-14.1mm coverage (equivalent to 36-108mm in 35mm  camera format) for COOLPIX2200; with 5.8-17.4mm coverage (equivalent to 38-115mm in 35mm  camera format) for COOLPIX 3200
- Digital zoom up to 4x magnification (for a total of 12x when combined with optical zoom)
- Red-eye reduction makes use of the LED lamp prior to the firing of the flash
- Macro shooting capability as close as 4cm (1.6 in.)
- Simple buttons and easy-to-see user interface enable easy operation, even for first time digital users.
- Inherits the comfortable grip of the E2100/E3100 and is designed to weigh less and appear slim
- 14.5MB of internal memory enables the storage of images without a memory card, while two-way copying of stored images can be done between SD memory cards and the internal memory
- Nikon�s Best Shot Selector (BSS) takes a series of shots, then automatically picks and records the clearest one
- 15 Scene Modes including four with Scene Assistance function � Scene Modes with Scene Assistance function (Portrait, Night portrait, Landscape, Sports); Other Scene Modes (Sunset, Close up, Museum, Panorama assist, Beach/Snow, Fireworks show, Back light, Party/Indoor, Copy, Dusk/Dawn, and Night landscape)
- Three Movie Modes, including TV movie (640) at 15fps, Small size (320) at 15fps, and Smaller size (160) at 15fps � recordable until SD memory card is full
- Playback options include Full frame playback, Zoom to 10x maximum with photo trimming, and a Small picture function
- Noise Reduction automatically reduces noise to ensure faithful color reproduction in some scene modes
- Plug-and-play USB interface for smooth connection to a computer
- Date Counter imprints the number of days to, or time since a specified occasion
- 5 Color Options, including Standard color, Vivid color, Black-and-white, Sepia, and Cyanotype
- Blur Warning alerts the user of shots compromised by camera shake, gives a warning if a picture needs another attempt
- 1.6-in., 80,000-dot TFT LCD monitor with brightness adjustment
- Powered by two rechargeable Nikon EN-MH1 NiMH batteries, One CRV3 lithium battery, two LR6 (AA) alkaline batteries, two ZR6 (AA) nickel manganese batteries, two FR6/L91 (AA) lithium batteries, and an EH-62B AC adapter
- Long battery life of approx. 350 shots for COOLPIX 2200 and 320 shots for COOLPIX 3200 per charge with two EN-MH1 batteries when using the LCD monitor
- Sleep mode activates when no change in brightness is detected for an extended period, saving energy sooner than the Auto Power Off function
- Language menu allows selection of English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, or Korean for menu displays
- Time zone function can be easily set, ideal for travelling
- Comes with Strap, USB cable, Audio Video cable, Rechargeable battery (EN-MH1)*, Battery charger*, Nikon View CD-ROM and Fotoshare software, Quick start Guide, and Instruction manual
- Optional accessories include the Rechargeable battery and Charger kit, Ni-MH Rechargeable battery EN-MH1-B2, Battery charger, AC adapter EH-62B, Soft case, SD memory card, and Waterproof case**
- Offers direct print capability through support of PictBridge ***
* Ships with two LR6 (AA) alkaline batteries in some countries and areas.
** Not available in some countries and areas.
*** When used with PictBridge compatible printers.
Nikon Coolpix 3200 and 2200 Specifications
Nikon Coolpix 3200
Nikon Coolpix 2200
|Sensor||1/2.7" Type CCD, 3.34 million pixels total||1/3.2" Type CCD, 2.14 million pixels total|
|Effective pixels||3.2 million||2.0 million|
|Image sizes||2048 x 1536, 1600 x 1200, 1024 x 768, 640 x 480||1600 x 1200, 1024 x 768, 640 x 480|
|Lens||3x optical zoom
38 - 115 mm equiv.
F2.8 - F4.9
|3x optical zoom
36 - 108 mm equiv.
F2.6 - F4.7
|LCD monitor||1.6", 80,000 pixels|
|Storage||Internal memory: approx.
Secure Digital (SD) card
|AF assist||Yes, automatic|
|Shooting modes||Auto, Scene|
|Scene modes||Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Night portrait, Party/Indoor, Beach/Snow, Sunset, Dusk/Dawn, Night landscape, Close up, Museum, Fireworks show, Copy, Back light, Panorama assist|
|Capture modes||Single, Continuous, Multi-shot 16|
|Color options||Standard, Vivid, B&W, Sepia, Cyanotype|
|Movies||640 x 480 / 15 fps, 320 x 240 / 15 fps, 160 x 120 / 15 fps. All with audio. Limited only by storage (streaming).|
Range: 0.4 - 3.4 m (1.3 - 11.2 ft)
Modes: Auto, Red-Eye reduction, On, Off, Slow sync
Range: 0.4 - 3.7 m (1.3 - 12.1 ft)
Modes: Auto, Red-Eye reduction, On, Off, Slow sync
|Power||2 x EN-MH1 NiMH batteries
or 1 x CRV3 Lithium
or 2 x AA batteries
|Connectivity||USB, DC-IN, A/V out|
|Dimensions||88 x 65 x 38 mm (3.5 x 2.6 x 1.5 in)|
|140 g (4.9 oz)|
|Supplied accessories||Strap, USB cable, Audio Video cable, Rechargeable battery (EN-MH1)*, Battery charger*, Nikon View CD-ROM and Fotoshare software, Quick start Guide, and Instruction manual|
* Two LR6 (AA) alkaline batteries supplied instead in some countries and areas.
|Special Special 2 Pack Battery Kit For The Nikon Coolpix S100,S3100,S3200,S4100,S5200,S6500||$19.99|
|_F0A5334-Edit_small by Dester Wallaboo|
from Open Air Fashion Photography
|Feed me, me, me, me, me by Denjw|
from Attention-Seekers in Nature