Canon has announced the production of its 50 millionth EF lens. The specific lens was one of the newly released EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USMs. EF mount lens production started in 1987. In September 2009, Nikon announced the 50 millionth lens for its F mount, launched in 1959.
Canon tells us: 'EF lens production started in March 1987. In Aug. 1995, we reached 10 million units. In Feb. 2001, 20 million in Jan. 2006, 30 million, and in Apr. 2008, 40 million. And after only 1 years and 8 months, we reached 50 million.'
Canon announces the production of its 50 millionth
EF lens: another EOS milestone
London, UK, 29th January 2010: Canon today announces a significant milestone by celebrating the production of its 50 millionth EF lens for its renowned EOS range of cameras, marking over 20 years of innovative technology and drive to provide photographers with the best quality products.
This landmark was achieved during the manufacture of the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM and illustrates the incredible story that has seen Canon achieve the production of over 10 million lenses in just under two years.
The story began in 1987 with the birth of the first camera in the EOS system, the EOS 650, and has since seen many groundbreaking advances in technology, including:
- 1987 saw the first lens with an Ultrasonic Motor – EF 300mm f/2.8L USM for professional sports and wildlife photographers
- In 1995 Canon introduced the worlds first interchangeable lens with Image Stabilizer – EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM for sports and wildlife enthusiasts
- In 2001 the first lens to incorporate Canon’s multi layered diffractive optics elements – EF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM for professional sports and wildlife photographers on the move
- 2008 saw the first lens to use Canon’s SWC (Subwavelength Structure Coating) – EF 24 mm F/1.4L II USM for professional landscape photographers
- Then in 2009 the worlds first lens with Hybrid IS – EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM for close ups was launched
- Most recently in 2010 Canon has launched the new high-quality, telephoto zoom lens the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM for all types of professional photography.
“Today’s announcement shows an immense achievement in our ability to grow and adapt to reach this impressive target in such a short space of time,” said Kazuyuki Suzuki, General Manager,Lens Products Marketing Management Div. Canon inc. “We are proud to support so many photographers of all abilities through our extensive range of DSLRs, including the recently launched 7D designed to create a whole new photographic experience.”
Canon currently offers the world’s most extensive range of D-SLR lenses with over 60 models currently available across the globe. In the coming years, Canon will continue to promote technical innovation, from optical design to electronics and production engineering, with the aim of further contributing to the creation of a new photo culture.
Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013
Jan 17, 2013
Jan 16, 2013