Pre-PMA 2007: Pentax has announced two new digital camera compacts today. First up we have the 10 million pixel Optio A30, replacement to the A20 launched last August. The A30 has a larger 1/1.8" CCD and adds sensitivity to ISO 1600. It sports the same CCD-shift shake reduction, 2.5-inch LCD and 3x zoom.
PENTAX Optio A30
A compact digital camera in PENTAX’s top class, with 10.0 effective megapixels and enhanced anti-shake functions, making high-quality images possible
PENTAX Corporation is pleased to announce the launch of the new PENTAX Optio A30, a compact digital camera featuring 10.0 effective megepixels, enabling for photography of fine, high-quality images. The Optio A30, which is a camera in PENTAX’s top class, also has enhanced anti-shake functions.
1. High-quality images The Optio A30 achieves one of the highest image qualities as a compact digital camera, thanks to features such as 10.0 effective megapixels that enable for high-resolution images, a 1/1.8-inch CCD with a wide light-sensitive area for superior tone reproduction, an smc PENTAX zoom lens, renowned for its high resolving power, an image processing engine that makes a rich color reproduction possible, and three different types of anti-shake functions.
2. Enhancement of anti-shake functions
- SR (Shake Reduction) The shake detection accuracy of the Optio A30 has been further enhanced, by incorporating a new, high-accuracy gyro sensor and a control algorithm used for shake correction technology in our digital SLR cameras into the shake reduction mechanism, which consists of a shifting CCD system developed exclusively by PENTAX. When photographing still images, highly corrective effects, equivalent to shutter speeds of approximately 2.5 to 3.5 steps can be achieved.
- Digital SR (Shake Reduction)*1 The Digital SR mode automatically changes sensitivity according to the brightness of the subject, and effectively reduces camera shakes and subject blurring. For the Optio A30, the maximum sensitivity has been improved to ISO 3200. With faster shutter speeds, photography with reduced blurring is now possible.
*1: The image recording size is fixed to 5 M (2592 x 1944 pixels) when the Digital SR mode is selected.
- Movie SR (Shake Reduction)*2 An electronic shake reduction function exclusively for capturing movies, which effectively corrects distortions in images due to camera shakes through software.
*2 When using “Movie SR,” the field of view is narrower than that during normal video recording.
3. New LCD monitor that is bright and easily viewable The Optio A30 is newly equipped with a high-intensity LCD monitor with an LCD booster function that makes it possible to improve the brightness of the screen as necessary. The monitor is now even easier to view outdoors, where there is strong sunlight. With a 2.5-inch screen size and a high resolution of 232,000 pixels, it is easy to confirm picture compositions and the focus. Due to its wide viewing angle, the screen can also be easily viewed, since there is little change in brightness and colors even when looking at the monitor diagonally.
4. “Face Recognition AF & AE” function that is convenient when photographing people The Optio A30 is equipped with a “Face Recognition AF & AE” function*3 that automatically detects and focuses on faces, regardless of where the people appear in the photo frame. In addition, optimal exposure settings are automatically conducted so that the areas with faces are not darkened even if there is backlighting. *3 Available when the photography mode is “Portrait” or “Kid” and the camera is directed at people from the front.
*3 This camera’s Face Recognition AF & AE function uses the Face Tracker face-recognition technology from FotoNation.
5. Swift operation speeds Various operation speeds for photography and playback have been increased, making it possible to use the camera more swiftly. In addition to a 0.02-second release time lag, the time it takes for the camera to focus and to start up has been speeded up.
6. “Intelligent zoom” function The Optio A30 is newly equipped with an “intelligent zoom” function, which is an evolved form of digital zoom, enabling for images to be magnified even larger and stored, all while maintaining the image quality of optical zoom.
7. Video recording function enabling high-quality recording for long periods of time The Optio A30 smoothly captures movies at 30 fps (frames per second) at sizes up to 640 x 480 pixels with image quality rivaling camcorders. Since it employs the DivX® (MPEG-4 compliant) movie format,*4 the Optio A30 can record longer, high-quality movies.
*4 The Optio A30 is DivX® certified. Movie playback is not supported on Macintosh operating systems.
8. A wide range of exposure setting modes In Programmed Exposure mode, the camera automatically determines the shutter speed and aperture. The camera also includes “Shutter-Priority AE” mode and “Manual Exposure” mode, which the user can set freely depending on the effect they are aiming to achieve.
9. Compact and lightweight body Despite incorporating a large CCD, the SR system and a 3X optical zoom lens with a focal range covering angles of view equivalent to those of a 38-114mm lens in 35mm format, we managed to create a slimmer and lighter body by using our unique Sliding Lens System*5 together with high-density mounting technology.
*5 PENTAX’s proprietary lens system: The central lens group slides upward from the optical axis and the front and back lens groups slip under them. Housing the lens in two steps in the lens cylinder reduces overall lens thickness, thereby minimizing body depth.
10. Other Features
- Auto-tracking AF continuously focusing on a moving subject
- Compatible with new SDHC memory cards, in addition to conventional SD memory cards
- Mode Palette provides quick access to 15 shooting modes and 15 playback modes
- A “Green button” that enables you to assign functions that are frequently used, and recall them in just one touch
- Approximately 22MB of built-in memory
- Calendar Display function allows image retrieval based on the capture date
- Easy searching and organizing of images on a PC using the Date Folder function
- FotoNation’s red-eye correction function for correcting red eye after shooting, which occurs easily when photographing with flash
- Includes the ACDSee for PENTAX image viewer/image management software
- Supports PictBridge, DPOF functions, Exif Print, and PRINT Image Matching III
1/1.8 " Type CCD
|Image sizes|| 3648 x 2736
3072 x 2304
2592 x 1944
2048 x 1536
1600 x 1200
1024 x 768
640 x 480
|Movie clips|| 640 x 480 @ 30fps
320 x 240 @ 30fps
|File formats|| JPEG Exif v2.2
PRINT Image Matching III
AVI MPEG-4 with sound
|Lens|| 38-114mm (35mm equiv)
F2.8 - 5.4
3x optical zoom
|Image stabilization||CCD-Shift-Type SR Mechanism|
|Digital zoom||up to 5.4x|
|Focus||TTL contrast detection auto focus system|
|AF area modes|| 5-point AF
|AF assist lamp||Yes|
|Focus distance|| Normal: 0.35m - infinity
Macro: 0.12m - 0.4m (wide)
SuperMacro: 0.06m - 0.15m (wide)
|Metering||TTL metering: Choice of Multi-segment metering, Center-weighted metering, Spot metering|
|ISO sensitivity|| Auto
|Exposure compensation||+/- 2EV in 1/3EV steps|
|Shuttter speed||1/2000 - 4sec|
|Aperture||F2.8 - 5.4|
Face Priority AE (auto selected at Portrait and Kids mode)
|Scene modes|| Auto Picture: Nomal, Night Scene, Landscape, Portrait
Program / Shutter-priority / Manual: Night Scene, Movie, Voice Recording, Landscape, Flower, Portrait / Kids, Digital SR, Surf&Snow, Sport, Pet, Text, Food, Frame Composite
|White balance|| Auto
|Self timer||10 or 2 sec|
|Image parameters|| Color Filter: B&W, Sepia, Color Filter (8 colors), Color extract (B&W with Red, B&W with Green, B&W with Blue)
Digital Filter: Soft, Illustration, Special Effect1,Special Effect2, Slim
Brightness Filter: Brightness
Flash On / Off
Range: 0.06 - 7.1m (wide) 0.35 - 3.5m (tele)
|LCD monitor|| 2.5-inch TFT
|Connectivity|| USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
NTSC / PAL
|Storage|| SD / SDHC card compatible
22 MB internal memory
|Power|| Rechargeable D-L18 Lithium-ion battery
OPtional AC adapter kit
|Weight (no batt)||130 g|
|Dimensions||89.5 x 57.5 x 23.5 mm|
|Dirt Hose by poppyjk|
|European bee-eaters by drvanger|
from A Big Year - birds
|Fat Is Beautiful Guinea 2008 DP by MarioSS|
from - Fat is Beautiful - (Woman's Portrait n Black and White+ A Border)
The Ukrainian Parliament banned statues of Lenin in 2015. Two years later, the monuments no longer adorn public buildings or stand watch over town squares, but they're still there.
If you had to choose one camera to bring along for the ultimate West coast road trip, what would it be? DPR's Sam Spencer choose the X100F. Read more
The a9 boasts impressive capability. As more examples of it in practice pour in, Sony's claims hold up. Watch the a9 track and maintain focus on a rapidly approaching basketball.
Last week, more than a million tonnes of Californian coastline slid into the ocean, taking part of Highway 1 with it. Check out the remodeling in photos taken before and after the landslide.
Even after eighteen months of reviewing the latest, greatest, shiniest and must-buy-me-est new gear, DPReview staffer Carey Rose has continued to use older DSLR cameras for his freelance work. But now, that might be changing. Read more
Sony is the world's leading mirrorless camera brand but remains third for ILCs overall, it's said in a presentation to investors. A focus on high value cameras and lenses should boost operating income, it says. Read more
It's nicknamed the 'Cycloptic Mustard Monster,' and is a 3D printed medium format camera. Read more
The new NanGuang LED lights are battery powered and come with accessories including filters and diffusers.
Have you been telling yourself, "Hey, I really need one of those 8K displays?" A video about Dell's new 8K monitor shows you what to expect. Is it really that much better?
Tamara Lackey, a Nikon ambassador USA and pro shooter, discusses embracing self-consciousness as a means of connecting with subjects.
There's a new Spiderman movie coming out and the poster been generating a lot of online chatter. Mostly about how it looks like the creation of a fevered teenager that just discovered Photoshop.
An honest defense of the system's merits, with photos as proof.
Copyright disputes are no fun at all. 'Binded' is a new startup that aims to simplify the process of registering - and enforcing - copyright for photographers. Read more
Not everyone wants to pay a premium for a long zoom camera. Thankfully, there are many reasonably priced cameras available, though they won't offer the same image quality as enthusiast models. In this updated roundup we look at big zoom cameras with more consumer-friendly price tags. Read more
Think Tank Photo has updated two of its popular bag lines with improvements to functionality. Read more
We’ve all seen Bob Jackson’s Pulitzer Prize winning photo, but there's another.
The sample footage looks good.
It will automatically pick the best camera settings depending on shooting conditions. It even promises enhanced functionality for your camera, like exposure and focus stacking. It already supports many cameras from Canon, Fuji, Nikon and Sony. Read more
As if $13,950 wasn’t enough to pay for a special edition lens, the Leica Store in San Francisco is offering a prototype of said lens for $24,995. Read more
Make those old photos disappear without deleting them forever.
Firmware updates enable 10 fps shooting with adapted A-mount lenses, and faster startup times and better compatibility for 20 fps shooting when using native lenses on the a9.
Fujifilm has released firmware updates for its camera models X-T2, X-Pro2, GFX 50s, X-T20, X100F and X-T1 and updates to three of its software products.
A 22 year-old Romanian photographer uses his DJI Phantom 4 drone to capture unique perspectives of the city where he now lives.
What's it like to ride the waves with champion surfer Kelly Slater? This VR video from Teton Gravity Research gives you a taste.
When Nikon released the full-frame D3 in 2007, it changed the professional photography industry. In this week's Throwback Thursday, Barney remembers a legend. Read more
The new stuff should have better red hues, improved sensitivity and finer grain - but don't worry - will still shift blues to green, greens to purple and yellows to pink.
Ricoh has introduced a new rugged compact camera with a 16MP CMOS sensor, 28-140mm lens, 2.7" LCD and built-in LED macro lights. Read more
This compact drone can shoot HD video using a 2-axis stabilized 12MP camera. Read more
The new Prynt Pocket can print a photo directly from their iPhone simply by inserting the phone into the printer, then snapping a photo. Each print will cost about 50 cents. Read more
Updates for Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom CC bring support for the Sony A9 and Panasonic ZS70/TZ90, along with bug fixes.