Pre-PMA 2007: Pentax has announced two new digital camera compacts today. First up we have the 10 million pixel Optio A30, replacement to the A20 launched last August. The A30 has a larger 1/1.8" CCD and adds sensitivity to ISO 1600. It sports the same CCD-shift shake reduction, 2.5-inch LCD and 3x zoom.
PENTAX Optio A30
A compact digital camera in PENTAX’s top class, with 10.0 effective megapixels and enhanced anti-shake functions, making high-quality images possible
PENTAX Corporation is pleased to announce the launch of the new PENTAX Optio A30, a compact digital camera featuring 10.0 effective megepixels, enabling for photography of fine, high-quality images. The Optio A30, which is a camera in PENTAX’s top class, also has enhanced anti-shake functions.
1. High-quality images The Optio A30 achieves one of the highest image qualities as a compact digital camera, thanks to features such as 10.0 effective megapixels that enable for high-resolution images, a 1/1.8-inch CCD with a wide light-sensitive area for superior tone reproduction, an smc PENTAX zoom lens, renowned for its high resolving power, an image processing engine that makes a rich color reproduction possible, and three different types of anti-shake functions.
2. Enhancement of anti-shake functions
- SR (Shake Reduction) The shake detection accuracy of the Optio A30 has been further enhanced, by incorporating a new, high-accuracy gyro sensor and a control algorithm used for shake correction technology in our digital SLR cameras into the shake reduction mechanism, which consists of a shifting CCD system developed exclusively by PENTAX. When photographing still images, highly corrective effects, equivalent to shutter speeds of approximately 2.5 to 3.5 steps can be achieved.
- Digital SR (Shake Reduction)*1 The Digital SR mode automatically changes sensitivity according to the brightness of the subject, and effectively reduces camera shakes and subject blurring. For the Optio A30, the maximum sensitivity has been improved to ISO 3200. With faster shutter speeds, photography with reduced blurring is now possible.
*1: The image recording size is fixed to 5 M (2592 x 1944 pixels) when the Digital SR mode is selected.
- Movie SR (Shake Reduction)*2 An electronic shake reduction function exclusively for capturing movies, which effectively corrects distortions in images due to camera shakes through software.
*2 When using “Movie SR,” the field of view is narrower than that during normal video recording.
3. New LCD monitor that is bright and easily viewable The Optio A30 is newly equipped with a high-intensity LCD monitor with an LCD booster function that makes it possible to improve the brightness of the screen as necessary. The monitor is now even easier to view outdoors, where there is strong sunlight. With a 2.5-inch screen size and a high resolution of 232,000 pixels, it is easy to confirm picture compositions and the focus. Due to its wide viewing angle, the screen can also be easily viewed, since there is little change in brightness and colors even when looking at the monitor diagonally.
4. “Face Recognition AF & AE” function that is convenient when photographing people The Optio A30 is equipped with a “Face Recognition AF & AE” function*3 that automatically detects and focuses on faces, regardless of where the people appear in the photo frame. In addition, optimal exposure settings are automatically conducted so that the areas with faces are not darkened even if there is backlighting. *3 Available when the photography mode is “Portrait” or “Kid” and the camera is directed at people from the front.
*3 This camera’s Face Recognition AF & AE function uses the Face Tracker face-recognition technology from FotoNation.
5. Swift operation speeds Various operation speeds for photography and playback have been increased, making it possible to use the camera more swiftly. In addition to a 0.02-second release time lag, the time it takes for the camera to focus and to start up has been speeded up.
6. “Intelligent zoom” function The Optio A30 is newly equipped with an “intelligent zoom” function, which is an evolved form of digital zoom, enabling for images to be magnified even larger and stored, all while maintaining the image quality of optical zoom.
7. Video recording function enabling high-quality recording for long periods of time The Optio A30 smoothly captures movies at 30 fps (frames per second) at sizes up to 640 x 480 pixels with image quality rivaling camcorders. Since it employs the DivX® (MPEG-4 compliant) movie format,*4 the Optio A30 can record longer, high-quality movies.
*4 The Optio A30 is DivX® certified. Movie playback is not supported on Macintosh operating systems.
8. A wide range of exposure setting modes In Programmed Exposure mode, the camera automatically determines the shutter speed and aperture. The camera also includes “Shutter-Priority AE” mode and “Manual Exposure” mode, which the user can set freely depending on the effect they are aiming to achieve.
9. Compact and lightweight body Despite incorporating a large CCD, the SR system and a 3X optical zoom lens with a focal range covering angles of view equivalent to those of a 38-114mm lens in 35mm format, we managed to create a slimmer and lighter body by using our unique Sliding Lens System*5 together with high-density mounting technology.
*5 PENTAX’s proprietary lens system: The central lens group slides upward from the optical axis and the front and back lens groups slip under them. Housing the lens in two steps in the lens cylinder reduces overall lens thickness, thereby minimizing body depth.
10. Other Features
- Auto-tracking AF continuously focusing on a moving subject
- Compatible with new SDHC memory cards, in addition to conventional SD memory cards
- Mode Palette provides quick access to 15 shooting modes and 15 playback modes
- A “Green button” that enables you to assign functions that are frequently used, and recall them in just one touch
- Approximately 22MB of built-in memory
- Calendar Display function allows image retrieval based on the capture date
- Easy searching and organizing of images on a PC using the Date Folder function
- FotoNation’s red-eye correction function for correcting red eye after shooting, which occurs easily when photographing with flash
- Includes the ACDSee for PENTAX image viewer/image management software
- Supports PictBridge, DPOF functions, Exif Print, and PRINT Image Matching III
1/1.8 " Type CCD
|Image sizes|| 3648 x 2736
3072 x 2304
2592 x 1944
2048 x 1536
1600 x 1200
1024 x 768
640 x 480
|Movie clips|| 640 x 480 @ 30fps
320 x 240 @ 30fps
|File formats|| JPEG Exif v2.2
PRINT Image Matching III
AVI MPEG-4 with sound
|Lens|| 38-114mm (35mm equiv)
F2.8 - 5.4
3x optical zoom
|Image stabilization||CCD-Shift-Type SR Mechanism|
|Digital zoom||up to 5.4x|
|Focus||TTL contrast detection auto focus system|
|AF area modes|| 5-point AF
|AF assist lamp||Yes|
|Focus distance|| Normal: 0.35m - infinity
Macro: 0.12m - 0.4m (wide)
SuperMacro: 0.06m - 0.15m (wide)
|Metering||TTL metering: Choice of Multi-segment metering, Center-weighted metering, Spot metering|
|ISO sensitivity|| Auto
|Exposure compensation||+/- 2EV in 1/3EV steps|
|Shuttter speed||1/2000 - 4sec|
|Aperture||F2.8 - 5.4|
Face Priority AE (auto selected at Portrait and Kids mode)
|Scene modes|| Auto Picture: Nomal, Night Scene, Landscape, Portrait
Program / Shutter-priority / Manual: Night Scene, Movie, Voice Recording, Landscape, Flower, Portrait / Kids, Digital SR, Surf&Snow, Sport, Pet, Text, Food, Frame Composite
|White balance|| Auto
|Self timer||10 or 2 sec|
|Image parameters|| Color Filter: B&W, Sepia, Color Filter (8 colors), Color extract (B&W with Red, B&W with Green, B&W with Blue)
Digital Filter: Soft, Illustration, Special Effect1,Special Effect2, Slim
Brightness Filter: Brightness
Flash On / Off
Range: 0.06 - 7.1m (wide) 0.35 - 3.5m (tele)
|LCD monitor|| 2.5-inch TFT
|Connectivity|| USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
NTSC / PAL
|Storage|| SD / SDHC card compatible
22 MB internal memory
|Power|| Rechargeable D-L18 Lithium-ion battery
OPtional AC adapter kit
|Weight (no batt)||130 g|
|Dimensions||89.5 x 57.5 x 23.5 mm|
"With only a few hundred of these lenses still in existence, and the inability to get them serviced and repaired if damaged, one can only assume that finding one of these will only become more and more difficult as time goes on..."
Google's Pixel 2 might have the 'world's highest rated smartphone camera', but the phone's display is causing serious headaches for the company. From 'dull' colors to reports of burn-in and blue tint, some troubling reports are haunting the tech giant this week.
The WiBotic PowerPad is a three-foot by three-foot landing pad that, according to its makers, is capable of charging almost any drone wirelessly.
Hear what Adobe director of product management Tom Hogarty and Lightroom product manager Sharad Mangalick have to say about the new Lightroom CC, and the future of Lightroom Classic CC.
Phase One has released a new, 15-preset Film Styles Pack for Capture One users that gives you a total of 45 different analog 'Styles' to choose from—33 in color and 12 in black & white.
"Everyone was wearing essentially the same outfits, doing the same poses, and felt like they needed 37 versions of each pose. As irritated as I was by this, it wasn’t what annoyed me the most."
With features like full-sensor-width 4K recording, Nikon has made its most video-friendly DSLR to date in the D850. That said, there's a difference between offering a feature and implementing it well.
If you're set on investing in a seriously capable compact, no doubt these two cameras will be on your list. Here's how they square up.
Adobe's experimental Project 'Deep Fill' is an incredibly powerful and impressive, AI-powered version of Content Aware Fill. Watch the demo to see this amazing tool in action.
LEE has released a new series of Reverse ND filters that are most opaque in the middle and become progressively clearer towards the top. This makes them ideal for capturing scenes where the sun is close to the horizon.
A former New York Times photographer is suing both the newspaper and its photography director Michele McNally for over $500,000 for age discrimination and unfair classification as a freelancer for nearly a decade.
"CPS Platinum members will now enjoy next-day service, with equipment serviced and shipped the business day after an estimate is approved. For repairs that will take longer, Canon will offer next-day loaner equipment."
Irix is introducing a new filter system called the Irix Edge 100. The ultra-light, ultra-thin system is build specifically for wide angle lenses like Irix's own 15mm F2.4.
After conducting a series of safety tests, the FAA is recommending that all airlines ban cameras and other electronics with Lithium Ion batteries from checked baggage. The agency believe the risk of a catastrophic fire and explosion is too great.
The Pixentu jackets keep you and your gear warm and dry, offering useful features like lens and tripod pockets, in addition to some quirky ones like an extended hood to protect your camera from the rain.
Adobe gave the audience at MAX a sneak peek at some exciting new technology its developing. It's called Adobe Cloak: a highly capable Content Aware Fill-like feature for video editors.
Earlier today, Flickr moved its photo book printing service over to a third party services, and stopped offering any wall art options entirely.
The patent details a flipping rear LCD screen so large, Canon has had to hide the rear dial and several buttons underneath.
We've added a selection of extra images to our Nikon D850 gallery. As part of the process of rounding off the review we made sure a number of us had shot the camera in a variety of situations, we've added those shots to the gallery to give a broad cross section of how the camera performs.
Wiral LITE is an affordable, easy-to-use cable cam system that can do things a portable slider simply can't do, and go places no slider would dare go.
Not happy with the recent demise of Lightroom as a stand-alone, subscription free service? Macphun's got your back... or they will in 2018.
Once connected to a PC, Mac, tablet or smartphone, Pholio automatically searches through the device storage and backs up all images and videos—complete with auto-tagging and intelligent search capabilities.
The 360 Round uses eight horizontally positioned camera pairs and one upward-pointing single lens to capture and livestream panoramic 4K 3D content.
Introduced just three years ago, the Samsung NX1 was both a technological tour-de-force and a great camera to use, earning one of the highest scores we've ever awarded and winning our 2015 Innovation Award. But its short-lived run in the photo world leaves us wondering what could have been.
The Fujifilm X-E3 is styled like a classic rangefinder, but features a built-in touchscreen, AF joystick, and electronic viewfinder – truly an old school meets new type of camera. Lay some eyes on our sample gallery to see how it performs in the real world.
Like it or not, Adobe is embracing a cloud-centric, AI-rich future with the introduction of Lightroom CC. And that's a great thing, though you may not see it now, argues Rishi Sanyal.
The announcement of a more cloud-integrated Lightroom product sees the death of the company's standalone version. This need to make payments in perpetuity (whether you choose Lightroom Classic or CC), chips away at the idea that your Lightroom library is a long-term solution, argues Richard Butler.
The XPro-C 2.4GHz wireless flash trigger that Godox released for Canon users last month now has a Nikon equivalent—the aptly named XPro-N. Sony, Fujifilm and MFT versions are in the works.
In the aftermath of hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria, camera and lens maker Sigma is extending its standard product warranty to cover damage caused by these three natural disasters.
The F4 Plus can can capture 360° stills, videos and broadcast livestream footage at 8K resolution... that's 7680 x 3840 pixels!