Pre-PMA 2007: Pentax has announced two new digital camera compacts today. First up we have the 10 million pixel Optio A30, replacement to the A20 launched last August. The A30 has a larger 1/1.8" CCD and adds sensitivity to ISO 1600. It sports the same CCD-shift shake reduction, 2.5-inch LCD and 3x zoom.
PENTAX Optio A30
A compact digital camera in PENTAX’s top class, with 10.0 effective megapixels and enhanced anti-shake functions, making high-quality images possible
PENTAX Corporation is pleased to announce the launch of the new PENTAX Optio A30, a compact digital camera featuring 10.0 effective megepixels, enabling for photography of fine, high-quality images. The Optio A30, which is a camera in PENTAX’s top class, also has enhanced anti-shake functions.
1. High-quality images The Optio A30 achieves one of the highest image qualities as a compact digital camera, thanks to features such as 10.0 effective megapixels that enable for high-resolution images, a 1/1.8-inch CCD with a wide light-sensitive area for superior tone reproduction, an smc PENTAX zoom lens, renowned for its high resolving power, an image processing engine that makes a rich color reproduction possible, and three different types of anti-shake functions.
2. Enhancement of anti-shake functions
- SR (Shake Reduction) The shake detection accuracy of the Optio A30 has been further enhanced, by incorporating a new, high-accuracy gyro sensor and a control algorithm used for shake correction technology in our digital SLR cameras into the shake reduction mechanism, which consists of a shifting CCD system developed exclusively by PENTAX. When photographing still images, highly corrective effects, equivalent to shutter speeds of approximately 2.5 to 3.5 steps can be achieved.
- Digital SR (Shake Reduction)*1 The Digital SR mode automatically changes sensitivity according to the brightness of the subject, and effectively reduces camera shakes and subject blurring. For the Optio A30, the maximum sensitivity has been improved to ISO 3200. With faster shutter speeds, photography with reduced blurring is now possible.
*1: The image recording size is fixed to 5 M (2592 x 1944 pixels) when the Digital SR mode is selected.
- Movie SR (Shake Reduction)*2 An electronic shake reduction function exclusively for capturing movies, which effectively corrects distortions in images due to camera shakes through software.
*2 When using “Movie SR,” the field of view is narrower than that during normal video recording.
3. New LCD monitor that is bright and easily viewable The Optio A30 is newly equipped with a high-intensity LCD monitor with an LCD booster function that makes it possible to improve the brightness of the screen as necessary. The monitor is now even easier to view outdoors, where there is strong sunlight. With a 2.5-inch screen size and a high resolution of 232,000 pixels, it is easy to confirm picture compositions and the focus. Due to its wide viewing angle, the screen can also be easily viewed, since there is little change in brightness and colors even when looking at the monitor diagonally.
4. “Face Recognition AF & AE” function that is convenient when photographing people The Optio A30 is equipped with a “Face Recognition AF & AE” function*3 that automatically detects and focuses on faces, regardless of where the people appear in the photo frame. In addition, optimal exposure settings are automatically conducted so that the areas with faces are not darkened even if there is backlighting. *3 Available when the photography mode is “Portrait” or “Kid” and the camera is directed at people from the front.
*3 This camera’s Face Recognition AF & AE function uses the Face Tracker face-recognition technology from FotoNation.
5. Swift operation speeds Various operation speeds for photography and playback have been increased, making it possible to use the camera more swiftly. In addition to a 0.02-second release time lag, the time it takes for the camera to focus and to start up has been speeded up.
6. “Intelligent zoom” function The Optio A30 is newly equipped with an “intelligent zoom” function, which is an evolved form of digital zoom, enabling for images to be magnified even larger and stored, all while maintaining the image quality of optical zoom.
7. Video recording function enabling high-quality recording for long periods of time The Optio A30 smoothly captures movies at 30 fps (frames per second) at sizes up to 640 x 480 pixels with image quality rivaling camcorders. Since it employs the DivX® (MPEG-4 compliant) movie format,*4 the Optio A30 can record longer, high-quality movies.
*4 The Optio A30 is DivX® certified. Movie playback is not supported on Macintosh operating systems.
8. A wide range of exposure setting modes In Programmed Exposure mode, the camera automatically determines the shutter speed and aperture. The camera also includes “Shutter-Priority AE” mode and “Manual Exposure” mode, which the user can set freely depending on the effect they are aiming to achieve.
9. Compact and lightweight body Despite incorporating a large CCD, the SR system and a 3X optical zoom lens with a focal range covering angles of view equivalent to those of a 38-114mm lens in 35mm format, we managed to create a slimmer and lighter body by using our unique Sliding Lens System*5 together with high-density mounting technology.
*5 PENTAX’s proprietary lens system: The central lens group slides upward from the optical axis and the front and back lens groups slip under them. Housing the lens in two steps in the lens cylinder reduces overall lens thickness, thereby minimizing body depth.
10. Other Features
- Auto-tracking AF continuously focusing on a moving subject
- Compatible with new SDHC memory cards, in addition to conventional SD memory cards
- Mode Palette provides quick access to 15 shooting modes and 15 playback modes
- A “Green button” that enables you to assign functions that are frequently used, and recall them in just one touch
- Approximately 22MB of built-in memory
- Calendar Display function allows image retrieval based on the capture date
- Easy searching and organizing of images on a PC using the Date Folder function
- FotoNation’s red-eye correction function for correcting red eye after shooting, which occurs easily when photographing with flash
- Includes the ACDSee for PENTAX image viewer/image management software
- Supports PictBridge, DPOF functions, Exif Print, and PRINT Image Matching III
1/1.8 " Type CCD
|Image sizes|| 3648 x 2736
3072 x 2304
2592 x 1944
2048 x 1536
1600 x 1200
1024 x 768
640 x 480
|Movie clips|| 640 x 480 @ 30fps
320 x 240 @ 30fps
|File formats|| JPEG Exif v2.2
PRINT Image Matching III
AVI MPEG-4 with sound
|Lens|| 38-114mm (35mm equiv)
F2.8 - 5.4
3x optical zoom
|Image stabilization||CCD-Shift-Type SR Mechanism|
|Digital zoom||up to 5.4x|
|Focus||TTL contrast detection auto focus system|
|AF area modes|| 5-point AF
|AF assist lamp||Yes|
|Focus distance|| Normal: 0.35m - infinity
Macro: 0.12m - 0.4m (wide)
SuperMacro: 0.06m - 0.15m (wide)
|Metering||TTL metering: Choice of Multi-segment metering, Center-weighted metering, Spot metering|
|ISO sensitivity|| Auto
|Exposure compensation||+/- 2EV in 1/3EV steps|
|Shuttter speed||1/2000 - 4sec|
|Aperture||F2.8 - 5.4|
Face Priority AE (auto selected at Portrait and Kids mode)
|Scene modes|| Auto Picture: Nomal, Night Scene, Landscape, Portrait
Program / Shutter-priority / Manual: Night Scene, Movie, Voice Recording, Landscape, Flower, Portrait / Kids, Digital SR, Surf&Snow, Sport, Pet, Text, Food, Frame Composite
|White balance|| Auto
|Self timer||10 or 2 sec|
|Image parameters|| Color Filter: B&W, Sepia, Color Filter (8 colors), Color extract (B&W with Red, B&W with Green, B&W with Blue)
Digital Filter: Soft, Illustration, Special Effect1,Special Effect2, Slim
Brightness Filter: Brightness
Flash On / Off
Range: 0.06 - 7.1m (wide) 0.35 - 3.5m (tele)
|LCD monitor|| 2.5-inch TFT
|Connectivity|| USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
NTSC / PAL
|Storage|| SD / SDHC card compatible
22 MB internal memory
|Power|| Rechargeable D-L18 Lithium-ion battery
OPtional AC adapter kit
|Weight (no batt)||130 g|
|Dimensions||89.5 x 57.5 x 23.5 mm|
|Douaumont Ossuary by Eric 54-BNF|
from Armistice Day
|Silhouette at sunset by Jill Hancock|
from Portrait Lens (around 80mm or equivalent - please check the full rules)
Sigma is discounting 13 different high-performance 'Art' series lenses from today until November 30th. The company is calling it an 'unprecedented' sale.
See DJI's 'AeroScope' drone-tracking technology in action. This is the system that DJI says can help law enforcement and airport (among others) track and identify rogue drones.
iPhone X owners can already accessorize their new phone with high-quality smartphone photography lenses courtesy of Moment's new lineup.
Considering buying Sigma's exciting new 16mm F1.4 DC DN Contemporary lens for crop-sensor E-Mount and M43? Check out these official full-res samples first!
Vimeo has just added support for 8K HDR 10-bit content, making it possible to show up to 75% of the colors the human eye can perceive vs the usual 35%. Take THAT YouTube.
The holidays are coming, but your gear isn't cutting it? It's time to treat yourself!
We're counting down our top 10 most popular sample galleries of 2017, and sitting pretty at #5 is the Fujifilm X-T20.
See some of the most iconic black-and-white photographs throughout history brought to life by a community of colorization enthusiasts and professional retouchers in the new book Retrographic.
Shopping for a photographer? Whether you are one yourself or not, chances are you could use some ideas. From stocking stuffers on up, we've got some photography gift suggestions for every budget.
We're counting down our top 10 most popular sample galleries of 2017. Drum roll please... the #6 spot belongs to none other than the Sigma 85mm F1.4 DH HSM Art.
Read the story behind this gorgeous wedding photo captured at Trolltunga in Norway by husband and wife duo Priscila Valentina Photography. The 14 hour hike in the rain that preceded this shot was TOTALLY worth it.
Go behind the scenes with filmmaker Nick Arcivos, who recently created a beautiful cinematic short film in Paris using only the iPhone X, a couple of gimbals, and a few lights. The results are very impressive.
A Bay Area startup offering a pay-by-the-photo camera service cleverly addresses the pain points photographers experience when they pick up their first DSLR. But can it survive the smartphone?
It's been a big year for software innovations, dual cameras and huge displays. Take a look at our picks for the top smartphone cameras and why we think they stand out.
We're counting down our top 10 most popular sample galleries of 2017. At the #7 spot is the ready-for-any-weather Olympus Tough TG-5.
By combining his skills as a time-lapse filmmaker and an engineer, Julian Tryba created this out-of-this-world creative 'layer-lapse' of New York City that alternates between night and day in time with the music.
Canon Japan's new lineup of novelty camera-themed gifts was just revealed online, including a lens mug and lens thermos, two retro camera-themed USB drives, and a picnic mat.
The Profoto A1 most certainly isn’t for everyone [...] But for those who are used to using the Profoto systems, and want something that pairs seamlessly with the strobes you already have, there is no better companion.
Fujifilm has asked a US district court to clear it of any wrongdoing, after allegedly being threatened with trademark litigation by Polaroid.
While a couple of our reviewers are out testing the Sony a7R III in Arizona, back in Seattle we slapped the camera in front of our studio scene to get a close look at its image quality. See how it stacks up against the competition.
We're counting down our top 10 most popular sample galleries of 2017, and the #8 ranking belongs to the Nikon D7500.
B+W has announced a new aluminum filter holder that offers three slots so users can use multiple filters at the same time. The holder goes with the 2mm thick 100mm square filters it launched earlier this year.
8K video is coming a lot faster than you think, and Blackmagic is ready for it. Meet the DeckLink 8K Pro, a new high performance PCI-E capture and playback card built to handle 'real time high resolution 8K workflows.'
"Glass is everywhere in photography. From Eugène Atget’s reflective vitrines to Lee Friedlander’s sly self-portraiture, photographers have long been in thrall to the visual complications glass can inject into a composition."
Former Apple Aperture lead developer Nik Bhatt has designed an iOS app called RAW Power that lets you edit raw photos from your professional camera using your phone and tablet.... color us intrigued.
Advertising photographer Blair Bunting got his hands on the new Microsoft Surface Book 2, and it blew him away. Bye bye MacBook Pro...
The OnePlus 5T retains many of the 5's features and specs, but comes with an edge-to-edge display and a dual-camera that is optimized for low light.
Sony's recently announced IMX461 backside illuminated medium format sensor will bring 100MP resolution and almost 2x the speed to the next-gen Fuji GFX and Hasselblad X1D.
With the ‘Rent a Hasselblad’ camera equipment renting program, the camera makers is aiming to give enthusiast and professional photographers easier access to its medium-format photography products.
They say seeing is believing, and that's exactly what happened when one DPR staffer took the Google Pixel 2 out for an afternoon shooting under challenging conditions.