Pre-PMA 2007: Pentax has announced two new digital camera compacts today. First up we have the 10 million pixel Optio A30, replacement to the A20 launched last August. The A30 has a larger 1/1.8" CCD and adds sensitivity to ISO 1600. It sports the same CCD-shift shake reduction, 2.5-inch LCD and 3x zoom.
PENTAX Optio A30
A compact digital camera in PENTAX’s top class, with 10.0 effective megapixels and enhanced anti-shake functions, making high-quality images possible
PENTAX Corporation is pleased to announce the launch of the new PENTAX Optio A30, a compact digital camera featuring 10.0 effective megepixels, enabling for photography of fine, high-quality images. The Optio A30, which is a camera in PENTAX’s top class, also has enhanced anti-shake functions.
1. High-quality images The Optio A30 achieves one of the highest image qualities as a compact digital camera, thanks to features such as 10.0 effective megapixels that enable for high-resolution images, a 1/1.8-inch CCD with a wide light-sensitive area for superior tone reproduction, an smc PENTAX zoom lens, renowned for its high resolving power, an image processing engine that makes a rich color reproduction possible, and three different types of anti-shake functions.
2. Enhancement of anti-shake functions
- SR (Shake Reduction) The shake detection accuracy of the Optio A30 has been further enhanced, by incorporating a new, high-accuracy gyro sensor and a control algorithm used for shake correction technology in our digital SLR cameras into the shake reduction mechanism, which consists of a shifting CCD system developed exclusively by PENTAX. When photographing still images, highly corrective effects, equivalent to shutter speeds of approximately 2.5 to 3.5 steps can be achieved.
- Digital SR (Shake Reduction)*1 The Digital SR mode automatically changes sensitivity according to the brightness of the subject, and effectively reduces camera shakes and subject blurring. For the Optio A30, the maximum sensitivity has been improved to ISO 3200. With faster shutter speeds, photography with reduced blurring is now possible.
*1: The image recording size is fixed to 5 M (2592 x 1944 pixels) when the Digital SR mode is selected.
- Movie SR (Shake Reduction)*2 An electronic shake reduction function exclusively for capturing movies, which effectively corrects distortions in images due to camera shakes through software.
*2 When using “Movie SR,” the field of view is narrower than that during normal video recording.
3. New LCD monitor that is bright and easily viewable The Optio A30 is newly equipped with a high-intensity LCD monitor with an LCD booster function that makes it possible to improve the brightness of the screen as necessary. The monitor is now even easier to view outdoors, where there is strong sunlight. With a 2.5-inch screen size and a high resolution of 232,000 pixels, it is easy to confirm picture compositions and the focus. Due to its wide viewing angle, the screen can also be easily viewed, since there is little change in brightness and colors even when looking at the monitor diagonally.
4. “Face Recognition AF & AE” function that is convenient when photographing people The Optio A30 is equipped with a “Face Recognition AF & AE” function*3 that automatically detects and focuses on faces, regardless of where the people appear in the photo frame. In addition, optimal exposure settings are automatically conducted so that the areas with faces are not darkened even if there is backlighting. *3 Available when the photography mode is “Portrait” or “Kid” and the camera is directed at people from the front.
*3 This camera’s Face Recognition AF & AE function uses the Face Tracker face-recognition technology from FotoNation.
5. Swift operation speeds Various operation speeds for photography and playback have been increased, making it possible to use the camera more swiftly. In addition to a 0.02-second release time lag, the time it takes for the camera to focus and to start up has been speeded up.
6. “Intelligent zoom” function The Optio A30 is newly equipped with an “intelligent zoom” function, which is an evolved form of digital zoom, enabling for images to be magnified even larger and stored, all while maintaining the image quality of optical zoom.
7. Video recording function enabling high-quality recording for long periods of time The Optio A30 smoothly captures movies at 30 fps (frames per second) at sizes up to 640 x 480 pixels with image quality rivaling camcorders. Since it employs the DivX® (MPEG-4 compliant) movie format,*4 the Optio A30 can record longer, high-quality movies.
*4 The Optio A30 is DivX® certified. Movie playback is not supported on Macintosh operating systems.
8. A wide range of exposure setting modes In Programmed Exposure mode, the camera automatically determines the shutter speed and aperture. The camera also includes “Shutter-Priority AE” mode and “Manual Exposure” mode, which the user can set freely depending on the effect they are aiming to achieve.
9. Compact and lightweight body Despite incorporating a large CCD, the SR system and a 3X optical zoom lens with a focal range covering angles of view equivalent to those of a 38-114mm lens in 35mm format, we managed to create a slimmer and lighter body by using our unique Sliding Lens System*5 together with high-density mounting technology.
*5 PENTAX’s proprietary lens system: The central lens group slides upward from the optical axis and the front and back lens groups slip under them. Housing the lens in two steps in the lens cylinder reduces overall lens thickness, thereby minimizing body depth.
10. Other Features
- Auto-tracking AF continuously focusing on a moving subject
- Compatible with new SDHC memory cards, in addition to conventional SD memory cards
- Mode Palette provides quick access to 15 shooting modes and 15 playback modes
- A “Green button” that enables you to assign functions that are frequently used, and recall them in just one touch
- Approximately 22MB of built-in memory
- Calendar Display function allows image retrieval based on the capture date
- Easy searching and organizing of images on a PC using the Date Folder function
- FotoNation’s red-eye correction function for correcting red eye after shooting, which occurs easily when photographing with flash
- Includes the ACDSee for PENTAX image viewer/image management software
- Supports PictBridge, DPOF functions, Exif Print, and PRINT Image Matching III
1/1.8 " Type CCD
|Image sizes|| 3648 x 2736
3072 x 2304
2592 x 1944
2048 x 1536
1600 x 1200
1024 x 768
640 x 480
|Movie clips|| 640 x 480 @ 30fps
320 x 240 @ 30fps
|File formats|| JPEG Exif v2.2
PRINT Image Matching III
AVI MPEG-4 with sound
|Lens|| 38-114mm (35mm equiv)
F2.8 - 5.4
3x optical zoom
|Image stabilization||CCD-Shift-Type SR Mechanism|
|Digital zoom||up to 5.4x|
|Focus||TTL contrast detection auto focus system|
|AF area modes|| 5-point AF
|AF assist lamp||Yes|
|Focus distance|| Normal: 0.35m - infinity
Macro: 0.12m - 0.4m (wide)
SuperMacro: 0.06m - 0.15m (wide)
|Metering||TTL metering: Choice of Multi-segment metering, Center-weighted metering, Spot metering|
|ISO sensitivity|| Auto
|Exposure compensation||+/- 2EV in 1/3EV steps|
|Shuttter speed||1/2000 - 4sec|
|Aperture||F2.8 - 5.4|
Face Priority AE (auto selected at Portrait and Kids mode)
|Scene modes|| Auto Picture: Nomal, Night Scene, Landscape, Portrait
Program / Shutter-priority / Manual: Night Scene, Movie, Voice Recording, Landscape, Flower, Portrait / Kids, Digital SR, Surf&Snow, Sport, Pet, Text, Food, Frame Composite
|White balance|| Auto
|Self timer||10 or 2 sec|
|Image parameters|| Color Filter: B&W, Sepia, Color Filter (8 colors), Color extract (B&W with Red, B&W with Green, B&W with Blue)
Digital Filter: Soft, Illustration, Special Effect1,Special Effect2, Slim
Brightness Filter: Brightness
Flash On / Off
Range: 0.06 - 7.1m (wide) 0.35 - 3.5m (tele)
|LCD monitor|| 2.5-inch TFT
|Connectivity|| USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
NTSC / PAL
|Storage|| SD / SDHC card compatible
22 MB internal memory
|Power|| Rechargeable D-L18 Lithium-ion battery
OPtional AC adapter kit
|Weight (no batt)||130 g|
|Dimensions||89.5 x 57.5 x 23.5 mm|
|Owens Valley Milky Way by ed rader|
from Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..
|Break by Hank3152|
from Motion blur
|Camp by T bird|
from A Big Year - birds
|The Maasai Shepherd by cgravel|
from - African Man - (Portrait in Black and White + A Border)
Boundary's Prima 'fully modular' backpack is expandable to 30L and has a removable camera case and tablet sleeve. Early Kickstarter backers can get one for $189.
Stanley Greene captured 'brutally honest' photographs in the war zones of the Middle East, Chechnya and Georgia. He was also one of the few African-American photographers working internationally.
Owners of Leica M cameras that suffer from peeling CCDs will be able to claim a free repair in the future so long as the camera was purchased within five years of the fault becoming apparent, the company has announced. Read more
No mic socket? No problem. In this video, Daniel Peters at Photo Gear News shows you how to make a lapel microphone using just a smartphone and a pair of earbuds.
The Carl Zeiss Jena BIOTAR 75mm F1.5 Red T lens is very rare and priced accordingly. It can be yours today for the low, low price of $15,000.
The MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) has developed a drone that does not require any human control for recording tracking shots. Read more
In this terrifying video, Iraqi journalist Ammar Alwaely narrowly misses a sniper's bullet, which takes out his chest-mounted GoPro. Warning: strong language. Watch the video
A new report expects action camera growth to increase about 15% by 2021, with Ultra HD cameras driving demand. Read more
Profiles for Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom have been released for Irix's ultra-wide 11mm and 15mm primes. Like all profiles, these correct for distortion and vignetting.
An upcoming firmware update from DJI will cripple its drones unless they are 'activated' on the company's website. Live streaming will be turned off and flight radius/altitude will be limited.
Brent from ShareGrid rounds up the 10 most common products filmmakers are renting from one another for productions; chances are good you own one or more of them.
DaVinci Resolve is making strong moves to compete with Premiere and Final Cut Pro, including affordable control panels for colorists. According to Premium Beat, they're really good.
If you are not planning to fly your drone commercially you are not required to register it with the FAA anymore. This decision was handed down by a federal court in Washington, D.C.
Whether you're syncing a flash, wondering why banding is appearing in your image or getting strange images from your camera's silent shutter mode, the way your shutter works has a role to play. Here's what happens when you press the shutter button. Read more
William Vazquez travels all over the world documenting humanitarian work. He spoke to us about the challenges of his work, the importance of research and why a multitool and duct tape are your best friends in the field. Read more
These ten film cameras stand the test of time. They are easy to find, affordable and capable of excellent results. Read more
Photographer Aydın Büyüktaş uses a drone, 3-D rendering and Photoshop to create mind-bending landscapes.
They're offering tips for composing selfies and converting to black and white.
Whether you're seeking ultra-high resolution, first-rate autofocus or 4K video capture, there are some supremely capable 'semi-pro' cameras available. Find out which models we liked best in our updated semi-pro camera roundup. Read more
With composition specified by the director, drones may one day be able to navigate a movie set on their own.
Canon has made the previous version, 1.1.0 available for download again.
Impossible? Not if you have a fast lens and 5 stops of stabilization.
This 'strictly limited edition' is a refurbished original Polaroid 600 redesigned with a custom two-tone paint job.
Nikon today announced a reorganization of its corporate structure which will see several divisions and business units closed or merged. Read more
High school students from New York got he chance to shoot along with award-winning photojournalist Ron Haviv in Morocco.
VentureBeat reports that Monday's Surface Pro announcement will bring evolutionary updates to Microsoft's high-end Windows 10 tablet.
The Japanese Camera Journal Press Club has awarded Olympus three out of its four annual prizes after voting by photographic magazine editors and readers.
The photos are great, but whether drones should have been flying in a couple of these places is debatable.
It's not dead yet! A few years ago several high profile filmmakers convinced Kodak to keep making motion picture film. Now they need more facilities to process it.