Pre-PMA 2007: Pentax has announced two new digital camera compacts today. First up we have the 10 million pixel Optio A30, replacement to the A20 launched last August. The A30 has a larger 1/1.8" CCD and adds sensitivity to ISO 1600. It sports the same CCD-shift shake reduction, 2.5-inch LCD and 3x zoom.
PENTAX Optio A30
A compact digital camera in PENTAX’s top class, with 10.0 effective megapixels and enhanced anti-shake functions, making high-quality images possible
PENTAX Corporation is pleased to announce the launch of the new PENTAX Optio A30, a compact digital camera featuring 10.0 effective megepixels, enabling for photography of fine, high-quality images. The Optio A30, which is a camera in PENTAX’s top class, also has enhanced anti-shake functions.
1. High-quality images The Optio A30 achieves one of the highest image qualities as a compact digital camera, thanks to features such as 10.0 effective megapixels that enable for high-resolution images, a 1/1.8-inch CCD with a wide light-sensitive area for superior tone reproduction, an smc PENTAX zoom lens, renowned for its high resolving power, an image processing engine that makes a rich color reproduction possible, and three different types of anti-shake functions.
2. Enhancement of anti-shake functions
- SR (Shake Reduction) The shake detection accuracy of the Optio A30 has been further enhanced, by incorporating a new, high-accuracy gyro sensor and a control algorithm used for shake correction technology in our digital SLR cameras into the shake reduction mechanism, which consists of a shifting CCD system developed exclusively by PENTAX. When photographing still images, highly corrective effects, equivalent to shutter speeds of approximately 2.5 to 3.5 steps can be achieved.
- Digital SR (Shake Reduction)*1 The Digital SR mode automatically changes sensitivity according to the brightness of the subject, and effectively reduces camera shakes and subject blurring. For the Optio A30, the maximum sensitivity has been improved to ISO 3200. With faster shutter speeds, photography with reduced blurring is now possible.
*1: The image recording size is fixed to 5 M (2592 x 1944 pixels) when the Digital SR mode is selected.
- Movie SR (Shake Reduction)*2 An electronic shake reduction function exclusively for capturing movies, which effectively corrects distortions in images due to camera shakes through software.
*2 When using “Movie SR,” the field of view is narrower than that during normal video recording.
3. New LCD monitor that is bright and easily viewable The Optio A30 is newly equipped with a high-intensity LCD monitor with an LCD booster function that makes it possible to improve the brightness of the screen as necessary. The monitor is now even easier to view outdoors, where there is strong sunlight. With a 2.5-inch screen size and a high resolution of 232,000 pixels, it is easy to confirm picture compositions and the focus. Due to its wide viewing angle, the screen can also be easily viewed, since there is little change in brightness and colors even when looking at the monitor diagonally.
4. “Face Recognition AF & AE” function that is convenient when photographing people The Optio A30 is equipped with a “Face Recognition AF & AE” function*3 that automatically detects and focuses on faces, regardless of where the people appear in the photo frame. In addition, optimal exposure settings are automatically conducted so that the areas with faces are not darkened even if there is backlighting. *3 Available when the photography mode is “Portrait” or “Kid” and the camera is directed at people from the front.
*3 This camera’s Face Recognition AF & AE function uses the Face Tracker face-recognition technology from FotoNation.
5. Swift operation speeds Various operation speeds for photography and playback have been increased, making it possible to use the camera more swiftly. In addition to a 0.02-second release time lag, the time it takes for the camera to focus and to start up has been speeded up.
6. “Intelligent zoom” function The Optio A30 is newly equipped with an “intelligent zoom” function, which is an evolved form of digital zoom, enabling for images to be magnified even larger and stored, all while maintaining the image quality of optical zoom.
7. Video recording function enabling high-quality recording for long periods of time The Optio A30 smoothly captures movies at 30 fps (frames per second) at sizes up to 640 x 480 pixels with image quality rivaling camcorders. Since it employs the DivX® (MPEG-4 compliant) movie format,*4 the Optio A30 can record longer, high-quality movies.
*4 The Optio A30 is DivX® certified. Movie playback is not supported on Macintosh operating systems.
8. A wide range of exposure setting modes In Programmed Exposure mode, the camera automatically determines the shutter speed and aperture. The camera also includes “Shutter-Priority AE” mode and “Manual Exposure” mode, which the user can set freely depending on the effect they are aiming to achieve.
9. Compact and lightweight body Despite incorporating a large CCD, the SR system and a 3X optical zoom lens with a focal range covering angles of view equivalent to those of a 38-114mm lens in 35mm format, we managed to create a slimmer and lighter body by using our unique Sliding Lens System*5 together with high-density mounting technology.
*5 PENTAX’s proprietary lens system: The central lens group slides upward from the optical axis and the front and back lens groups slip under them. Housing the lens in two steps in the lens cylinder reduces overall lens thickness, thereby minimizing body depth.
10. Other Features
- Auto-tracking AF continuously focusing on a moving subject
- Compatible with new SDHC memory cards, in addition to conventional SD memory cards
- Mode Palette provides quick access to 15 shooting modes and 15 playback modes
- A “Green button” that enables you to assign functions that are frequently used, and recall them in just one touch
- Approximately 22MB of built-in memory
- Calendar Display function allows image retrieval based on the capture date
- Easy searching and organizing of images on a PC using the Date Folder function
- FotoNation’s red-eye correction function for correcting red eye after shooting, which occurs easily when photographing with flash
- Includes the ACDSee for PENTAX image viewer/image management software
- Supports PictBridge, DPOF functions, Exif Print, and PRINT Image Matching III
1/1.8 " Type CCD
|Image sizes|| 3648 x 2736
3072 x 2304
2592 x 1944
2048 x 1536
1600 x 1200
1024 x 768
640 x 480
|Movie clips|| 640 x 480 @ 30fps
320 x 240 @ 30fps
|File formats|| JPEG Exif v2.2
PRINT Image Matching III
AVI MPEG-4 with sound
|Lens|| 38-114mm (35mm equiv)
F2.8 - 5.4
3x optical zoom
|Image stabilization||CCD-Shift-Type SR Mechanism|
|Digital zoom||up to 5.4x|
|Focus||TTL contrast detection auto focus system|
|AF area modes|| 5-point AF
|AF assist lamp||Yes|
|Focus distance|| Normal: 0.35m - infinity
Macro: 0.12m - 0.4m (wide)
SuperMacro: 0.06m - 0.15m (wide)
|Metering||TTL metering: Choice of Multi-segment metering, Center-weighted metering, Spot metering|
|ISO sensitivity|| Auto
|Exposure compensation||+/- 2EV in 1/3EV steps|
|Shuttter speed||1/2000 - 4sec|
|Aperture||F2.8 - 5.4|
Face Priority AE (auto selected at Portrait and Kids mode)
|Scene modes|| Auto Picture: Nomal, Night Scene, Landscape, Portrait
Program / Shutter-priority / Manual: Night Scene, Movie, Voice Recording, Landscape, Flower, Portrait / Kids, Digital SR, Surf&Snow, Sport, Pet, Text, Food, Frame Composite
|White balance|| Auto
|Self timer||10 or 2 sec|
|Image parameters|| Color Filter: B&W, Sepia, Color Filter (8 colors), Color extract (B&W with Red, B&W with Green, B&W with Blue)
Digital Filter: Soft, Illustration, Special Effect1,Special Effect2, Slim
Brightness Filter: Brightness
Flash On / Off
Range: 0.06 - 7.1m (wide) 0.35 - 3.5m (tele)
|LCD monitor|| 2.5-inch TFT
|Connectivity|| USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
NTSC / PAL
|Storage|| SD / SDHC card compatible
22 MB internal memory
|Power|| Rechargeable D-L18 Lithium-ion battery
OPtional AC adapter kit
|Weight (no batt)||130 g|
|Dimensions||89.5 x 57.5 x 23.5 mm|
It's been twenty years since Jeff Keller founded the Digital Camera Resource Page, one of the first websites dedicated to digital photography. Jeff, who has been at DPReview for nearly five years, looks back at the rise and fall of consumer digital cameras and his website.
We're counting down our top 10 most popular sample galleries of 2017. At #2 we have another staff favorite – the Sony Alpha a9.
Rotolight has released the Anova Pro 2 circular LED for stills and video, boasting a 70% increase in brightness and what the company describes as "unrivaled battery performance."
Designer Vinicius Araújo has imagined what he believes the perfect Adobe software keyboard might look like. From customizable touch pads, to a scroll wheel, to a little display that shows the tool in use, his design is pretty compelling.
Peak Design has teamed up with Leica to release a limited-edition backpack made special for fans of the Red Dot.
A portrait of an android woman has beaten over 5,700 pictures of humans to take third place in this year’s prestigious Taylor Wessing Portrait Prize. The judges were not told the subject was an 'android' until after the winning images were chosen.
Hauling around C-Stands just got a whole lot less annoying thanks to these new Matthews shoulder and roller bags, which can hold two or three C-stand (respectively) plus accessories.
Neal Preston has shot timeless photos of everyone from Led Zeppelin, to Whitney Houston, to Michael Jackson. In this interview, he offers insights into his craft to up-and-comer Elijah Dominique.
Future prosumer Canon DSLRs might feature light-up buttons, if this newly published patent is any indication of the camera company's plans.
Sony's a7R Mark III shoots 42.4MP files at 10fps and incorporates a robust video feature set, large battery, refined ergonomics and more. It certainly looks impressive, but what is it like to use, and how does it stack up against the rest of the market? Find out in our full review.
We're counting down our top 10 most popular sample galleries of 2017 – the Fujifilm X100F takes the bronze and the #3 spot.
There's never been a better time to shop for a new camera, but the number of options available can be overwhelming. In this series of buying guides we've provided customized recommendations for several use cases, from shooting landscapes to buying a first camera for a student photographer.
Shopping for a camera with a set budget? No problem! We've rounded up our favorite cameras, broken them into price brackets and picked the best of the bunch.
Looking for a lightweight compact camera that's easy to bring with you anywhere? Or maybe you're smartphone-shopping and want the one that takes the best picture. And what if you want to shoot from above? In these buyers guides we have recommendations for the best compact cameras, smartphones and drones.
Despite reports to the contrary, analysis of DPReview images by our friend Jim Kasson confirms a disappointing fact: Sony a7R III is still a Star Eater. But there may be some improvements.
As the saying goes: A photo is worth a thousand words. And if you're sending that photo through Facebook Messenger, your thousand words now look twice as nice after today's update to 4K resolution.
Get to know the new Leica CL in short order by giving our 90 second 'First look' video a watch.
Leica has just released the CL, the forth in its series of APS-C L-mount cameras. Despite sharing a name with a camera released in the mid-70s, the new CL is a thoroughly modern ILC, with a 24MP sensor and built-in electronic viewfinder.
The Leica CL is a 24MP rangefinder-style mirrorless camera, which sits alongside the TL2 in the company's APS-C lineup. We've been using one for a few days – check out our gallery of images.
While it shares a name with one of Leica's most popular and affordable cameras of the 1970s, the new CL is separated from its namesake by more than just years. We've been using one for a few days - click through for a detailed first-impressions report.
We're counting down our top 10 most popular sample galleries of 2017, and the #4 ranking goes to the Leica M10.
Sigma is discounting 13 different high-performance 'Art' series lenses from today until November 30th. The company is calling it an 'unprecedented' sale.
See DJI's 'AeroScope' drone-tracking technology in action. This is the system that DJI says can help law enforcement and airport (among others) track and identify rogue drones.
iPhone X owners can already accessorize their new phone with high-quality smartphone photography lenses courtesy of Moment's new lineup.
Considering buying Sigma's exciting new 16mm F1.4 DC DN Contemporary lens for crop-sensor E-Mount and M43? Check out these official full-res samples first!
Vimeo has just added support for 8K HDR 10-bit content, making it possible to show up to 75% of the colors the human eye can perceive vs the usual 35%. Take THAT YouTube.
The holidays are coming, but your gear isn't cutting it? It's time to treat yourself!
We're counting down our top 10 most popular sample galleries of 2017, and sitting pretty at #5 is the Fujifilm X-T20.
See some of the most iconic black-and-white photographs throughout history brought to life by a community of colorization enthusiasts and professional retouchers in the new book Retrographic.
Shopping for a photographer? Whether you are one yourself or not, chances are you could use some ideas. From stocking stuffers on up, we've got some photography gift suggestions for every budget.