Ricoh has unveiled the CX5 compact superzoom with Hybrid AF. It represents the re-introduction of an AF system that combines a distance sensor with more conventional contrast detection method to offer focus times of as little as 0.2sec regardless of focal length. Beyond this, it offers the same 10MP back-illuminated CMOS sensor, 10.7x (28-300mm equiv.) zoom lens, 920k dot 3 inch LCD and 720p HD video recording as the CX4. It's not clear how the AF system differs from the one the company used up until 2007, but it is claimed to almost double the speed of the CX4. Other new features include 'Super-Resolution' context-sensitive image processing and three additional scene modes.
Introducing the new CX5
January 26, 2011 RICOH COMPANY, LTD: (helmed by president and CEO Shiro Kondo) will be releasing its newly developed CX5 digital camera model with its wide-angle, high magnification 10.7x optical zoom (28–300 mm) lens, which has a higher autofocus speed due to the use of Ricoh's new hybrid AF system.
With the new CX5 model, AF focusing times are decreased to as low as 0.2 sec. for both wide-angle 28 mm and telephoto 300 mm, up to half as short compared to the CX4, using Ricoh's unique new hybrid AF system.
This ensures that you reliably capture the image you were waiting for, never to miss another good shot again.
Using super-resolution technology, the CX5 also allows (1) recording of images with improved resolution using the "Super-resolution" setting and (2) telephoto shooting at up to 600 mm equivalent with minimal degradation in image quality using "Super-resolution Zoom."
Furthermore, in addition to the new Cooking, Fireworks, and Continuous Golf Swing scene modes, the CX5 has improved features that make shooting photographs even more fun through the use of super-resolution zoom during Zoom Macro mode shooting and other functions.
The CX5 is an even more enhanced compact digital camera that was designed based on the concept of it being "a tool that you will find yourself wanting to use every day."
Available in three colors: Black, Silver, and Pink.
Main Features of the New CX5
High-speed autofocus using the unique hybrid AF system developed by Ricoh
- Equipped with Ricoh's unique new hybrid AF system in combination with a passive AF sensor that continuously measures the distance between the camera and subject using an area sensor together with Contrast AF (a system in which the imaging elements search for the peak location for contrast on the subject and focus on that location).
- Enables AF focusing times to be shortened to as low as 0.2 sec. for both wide-angle 28 mm and telephoto 300 mm, up to half as short compared to the CX4 model. Ensures that you capture the image you were waiting for over the entire zoom range so that you never miss another good shot again.
Improved image resolution through use of super-resolution technology
- Enables amazing photographs with high resolution to be produced using the CX5's new super-resolution technology, which discerns outlines, details, and gradations in the image automatically and processes the image based on the optimal settings for each. The level of super-resolution can be set to OFF, Weak, or Strong.
Super-resolution zoom equivalent to up to 600 mm in addition to the 10.7x 28–300 mm optical zoom
- Allows a wide-angle, high-magnification 10.7x optical zoom lens to fit into a compact body with a thickness of 29.4 mm using Ricoh's unique retracting lens system.
- Equipped with super-resolution zoom that enables magnification of up to 2.0x. Enables telephoto shooting at up to 600 mm equivalent with minimal degradation in image quality.
- Enables even greater magnification of the subject from super-resolution zoom with use of digital zoom. Allows photographs to be taken with ultra-telephoto zoom at up to 2880 mm.
High-quality photography that widens the range of image expression
- Offering reduced loss of detail in highlights using an output pixel interpolation algorithm residing in dedicated logic circuits in the Smooth Imaging Engine IV imaging engine to allow high-contrast scenes to be reproduced more faithfully, exactly as they appear to the naked eye.
- Reduces noise without affecting resolution, tone characteristics, or color using a noise reduction algorithm to process the image signal as it is output from the CMOS image sensor. Enables sophisticated variance-estimation type noise reduction processing in which the sensor image data's noise variance is analyzed and the optimum processing is done for each region when the noise reduction level is set to MAX.
- Equipped with a back-illuminated 10.00 million-pixel CMOS sensor. Ensures that beautiful images can be captured even in dark scenes.
14 different types of Scene Modes providing easy access to whole suites of photographic techniques specifically adapted to the subject
- Comes with a new Cooking mode that is perfect for shooting photographs of food. The new Cooking mode setting enables the brightness and color tone of the scene to be adjusted while the subject is checked.
- Includes a new Fireworks mode that works great for taking shots of fireworks as they flash across the sky.
- Comes with a new Golf Swing Continuous mode that displays grid lines during shooting and playback. Perfect to use for checking your golf swing.
- Enables super-resolution zoom to be used in Zoom Macro mode, which optimizes the zoom position automatically to allow the subject to be shot even larger than with normal macro shooting. Allows the subject to be shot even larger without any degradation of image quality as with normal zoom.
Creative shooting modes that allow you to enjoy shooting creative images
- Comes with six different types including Soft Focus, Cross Process, Toy Camera, and Miniaturize that can be selected to fit the subject and type of scene. Allows you to enjoy shooting images with a variety of effects.
High-definition 3.0-inch, 920,000-dot LCD monitor
- Equipped with a large, high-definition LCD monitor that has a wide viewing angle and high contrast. With a fluorine coat to prevent soiling, a hard coat to prevent scratches, and an anti-reflection (AR) coat designed to protect the screen against dirt and damage and guarantee excellent visibility even outdoors in direct sunlight.
- Reproduces image colors vividly with sRGB comparison of 100% for the color reproduction range.
A wide variety of functions based on the concept of the CX5 being "a tool that you will find yourself wanting to use every day"
- Equipped with new HDMI terminals. Allows high-definition (HD) movies with a frame size of 1280 x 720 pixels to be viewed on an HD TV using an HDMI cable (sold separately).
- Comes equipped with macro shooting functions that allow you to get as close to the subject as 1 cm for wide-angle and 28 cm for telephoto. Equivalent to 31 mm for 35-mm film equivalents.
- Enables high-speed continuous shooting at speeds of up to approx. 5 frames/sec. • Equipped with Scene Auto Mode, which automatically switches to the optimal shooting settings for the scene when the camera is merely pointed at a scene.
- Comes with Subject-tracking AF, which continuously tracks and focuses on the subject automatically.
- The CX5 is compatible with Eye-Fi cards (X2 Series), SD memory cards with built-in wireless LAN functionality, which enables captured images to be transferred wirelessly to a computer or online image sharing service automatically. An icon will appear while an Eye-Fi card is being used to display the communications status.
|Sensor|| 1/2.3" Type CMOS
10.00 million effective pixels
10.60 total pixels
|Image sizes|| 3648 x 2736
3648 x 2432
2736 x 2736
3648 x 2048
2592 x 1944
2048 x 1536
1728 x 1296 (Multi-Picture only)
1280 x 960
640 x 480
|Movie clips|| 1280 x 720
640 x 480
320 x 240
|Text|| 3648 x 2736
2048 x 1536
|File formats|| JPEG (Exif v2.3)
CIPA DC-007-2009 Multi-Picture Format
AVI (Open DML Motion JPEG Format compliant)
WAVE (Sound Files)
|Lens|| 28 - 300mm (35mm equiv)
With Step Zoom set: 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 105mm, 135mm, 200mm, and 300mm
f = 4.9-52.5mm
10.7x optical zoom
Lens Construction: 10 elements in 7 groups (aspheric lens: 4 elements and 5 surfaces)
|Digital zoom||up to 4.8x|
|Focus||Contrast AF method with AF auxiliary light
Contrast AF method
Fixed focus method
|Focus distance||Closest focus distance 1 cm|
|Metering|| Multi (256 segments)
Centre Weighted Light Metering
|ISO sensitivity|| Auto
|Exposure compensation||+/- 2EV in 1/3 stop increments|
|Auto Bracketing||+/- 5EV|
|Shutter speed|| 8 sec-1/1200 sec
Movie : 1/30 - 1/2000 sec.
|Shooting modes|| Auto
Creative shooting modes
|Scene modes|| Portrait
Golf Swing Continuous Mode
|Creative shooting modes|| Dynamic Range
High Contrast B&W
|White balance|| Auto
White Balance Bracket
|Self timer|| 2 or 10sec
|Continuous shooting|| Approx 5 fps|
|Flash|| Auto, Red-eye-Reduction, Flash On, Slow Synchro, Flash Off
Range : Approx. 20 cm - 4.0 m (Wide), approx. 28 cm -3.0m (Telephoto)
Flash Compensation (+/-2.0EV (1/3EV Steps)
|LCD monitor|| 3.0" TFT
|Connectivity|| USB Hi-Speed
AV out (PAL / NTSC switchable)
|Storage|| Internal memory 40MB
|Power||Rechargeable Battery DB-100|
|Weight (no batt)||176 g|
|Dimensions||102 x 58 x 29 mm|
Jan 25, 2014
Jul 20, 2011
Jan 24, 2014
Jan 23, 2014
|Iconic Tree by Jerry-astro|
from Fall colors
|USA1053a by embie|
from We salute you!
|Pot of Gold by Take5|
from Flower center
|Zombie DP by MarioSS|
Canon Japan's new lineup of novelty camera-themed gifts was just revealed online, including a lens mug and lens thermos, two retro camera-themed USB drives, and a picnic mat.
The Profoto A1 most certainly isn’t for everyone [...] But for those who are used to using the Profoto systems, and want something that pairs seamlessly with the strobes you already have, there is no better companion.
Fujifilm has asked a US district court to clear it of any wrongdoing, after allegedly being threatened with trademark litigation by Polaroid.
While a couple of our reviewers are out testing the Sony a7R III in Arizona, back in Seattle we slapped the camera in front of our studio scene to get a close look at its image quality. See how it stacks up against the competition.
We're counting down our top 10 most popular sample galleries of 2017, and the #8 ranking belongs to the Nikon D7500.
B+W has announced a new aluminum filter holder that offers three slots so users can use multiple filters at the same time. The holder goes with the 2mm thick 100mm square filters it launched earlier this year.
8K video is coming a lot faster than you think, and Blackmagic is ready for it. Meet the DeckLink 8K Pro, a new high performance PCI-E capture and playback card built to handle 'real time high resolution 8K workflows.'
"Glass is everywhere in photography. From Eugène Atget’s reflective vitrines to Lee Friedlander’s sly self-portraiture, photographers have long been in thrall to the visual complications glass can inject into a composition."
Former Apple Aperture lead developer Nik Bhatt has designed an iOS app called RAW Power that lets you edit raw photos from your professional camera using your phone and tablet.... color us intrigued.
Advertising photographer Blair Bunting got his hands on the new Microsoft Surface Book 2, and it blew him away. Bye bye MacBook Pro...
The OnePlus 5T retains many of the 5's features and specs, but comes with an edge-to-edge display and a dual-camera that is optimized for low light.
Sony's recently announced IMX461 backside illuminated medium format sensor will bring 100MP resolution and almost 2x the speed to the next-gen Fuji GFX and Hasselblad X1D.
With the ‘Rent a Hasselblad’ camera equipment renting program, the camera makers is aiming to give enthusiast and professional photographers easier access to its medium-format photography products.
They say seeing is believing, and that's exactly what happened when one DPR staffer took the Google Pixel 2 out for an afternoon shooting under challenging conditions.
We're counting down our top 10 most popular sample galleries of 2017. At the #9 spot we have the Fujifilm GFX 50S, a medium-format camera that took CP+ 2017 by storm.
Instagram is testing a new feature that lets you follow hashtags in addition to people, making it possible to keep track of your favorite #landscapes or #portraits without leaving your home feed.
Despite the gigantic volume of second hand film bodies in existence, it seems there is still a demand for new 35mm SLRs with a retro feel. The latest is a remake of the Ihagee Elbaflex from the 1960s, but with a Nikon F mount.
The Polaroid Insta-Share Moto Mod straps an instant printer directly to your Moto Z smartphone, so you can print your photos as soon as you've captured them.
The Mitakon Speedmaster 135mm F1.4 lens is being relaunched in 7 different mounts, including: Sony A, Sony E, Canon EF, Nikon F, Fujifilm G, Pentax K, and Leica L. Got an extra three grand lying around?
In January, Kodak announced it would bring back the beloved slide film Ektachrome. The timeline has been pushed back a bit, but Kodak says you can expect to purchase Ektachrome again in 2018.
Instagram popularity is threatening some of the most beautiful landscapes in the US, as hordes of 'nature lovers' trample over the same spots over and over again in search of the same exact shot.
You’d have to be pretty brave to immerse your $50K RED cinema camera underwater. But if you've got the guts, Gates just released a new housing you can be pretty sure won't wreck your unbelievably expensive toy.
Adobe has released a 'Lightroom Downloader' app for Windows 10 and macOS High Sierra that allows you to download all of your images from the Adobe Cloud, all at once.
After releasing a popular 4K action cam and an affordable mirrorless M43 camera, Chinese camera maker YI is diving into yet another market: 360° VR. Meet the YI 360 VR: a powerful little two-lens camera that can shoot and stream in 4K.
The DJI Spark has received a lot of attention thanks to its diminutive size, but how does it stack up? In our review, we take a look at what it's like to fly this pint-sized drone, as well as what's in it for photographers.
Between now and the end of the year we'll be counting down our top 10 most popular sample galleries of 2017. Coming in at #10 is a fast wide prime and part of the highly-acclaimed Sigma Art series.
DxOMark has awarded the Pentax 645Z 101 points, making it the second-highest scoring medium format camera it's tested (or the highest scoring from 2015 to now, based on the originally published results).
A small explosion that sounded like a gunshot caused a panic and 24 flight cancellations at Orlando International Airport last Friday. As it turns out, it was a camera battery that exploded inside a traveler's bag.
At last, a premium superzoom bridge camera with phase detect autofocus. Is this the best all-in-one camera ever made? Read on.
Unlike most smartphone cameras, the new Google Pixel 2 devices combine optical and electronic image stabilization for a smooth video experience. Here's how it works.