Ricoh has unveiled the CX5 compact superzoom with Hybrid AF. It represents the re-introduction of an AF system that combines a distance sensor with more conventional contrast detection method to offer focus times of as little as 0.2sec regardless of focal length. Beyond this, it offers the same 10MP back-illuminated CMOS sensor, 10.7x (28-300mm equiv.) zoom lens, 920k dot 3 inch LCD and 720p HD video recording as the CX4. It's not clear how the AF system differs from the one the company used up until 2007, but it is claimed to almost double the speed of the CX4. Other new features include 'Super-Resolution' context-sensitive image processing and three additional scene modes.
Introducing the new CX5
January 26, 2011 RICOH COMPANY, LTD: (helmed by president and CEO Shiro Kondo) will be releasing its newly developed CX5 digital camera model with its wide-angle, high magnification 10.7x optical zoom (28–300 mm) lens, which has a higher autofocus speed due to the use of Ricoh's new hybrid AF system.
With the new CX5 model, AF focusing times are decreased to as low as 0.2 sec. for both wide-angle 28 mm and telephoto 300 mm, up to half as short compared to the CX4, using Ricoh's unique new hybrid AF system.
This ensures that you reliably capture the image you were waiting for, never to miss another good shot again.
Using super-resolution technology, the CX5 also allows (1) recording of images with improved resolution using the "Super-resolution" setting and (2) telephoto shooting at up to 600 mm equivalent with minimal degradation in image quality using "Super-resolution Zoom."
Furthermore, in addition to the new Cooking, Fireworks, and Continuous Golf Swing scene modes, the CX5 has improved features that make shooting photographs even more fun through the use of super-resolution zoom during Zoom Macro mode shooting and other functions.
The CX5 is an even more enhanced compact digital camera that was designed based on the concept of it being "a tool that you will find yourself wanting to use every day."
Available in three colors: Black, Silver, and Pink.
Main Features of the New CX5
High-speed autofocus using the unique hybrid AF system developed by Ricoh
- Equipped with Ricoh's unique new hybrid AF system in combination with a passive AF sensor that continuously measures the distance between the camera and subject using an area sensor together with Contrast AF (a system in which the imaging elements search for the peak location for contrast on the subject and focus on that location).
- Enables AF focusing times to be shortened to as low as 0.2 sec. for both wide-angle 28 mm and telephoto 300 mm, up to half as short compared to the CX4 model. Ensures that you capture the image you were waiting for over the entire zoom range so that you never miss another good shot again.
Improved image resolution through use of super-resolution technology
- Enables amazing photographs with high resolution to be produced using the CX5's new super-resolution technology, which discerns outlines, details, and gradations in the image automatically and processes the image based on the optimal settings for each. The level of super-resolution can be set to OFF, Weak, or Strong.
Super-resolution zoom equivalent to up to 600 mm in addition to the 10.7x 28–300 mm optical zoom
- Allows a wide-angle, high-magnification 10.7x optical zoom lens to fit into a compact body with a thickness of 29.4 mm using Ricoh's unique retracting lens system.
- Equipped with super-resolution zoom that enables magnification of up to 2.0x. Enables telephoto shooting at up to 600 mm equivalent with minimal degradation in image quality.
- Enables even greater magnification of the subject from super-resolution zoom with use of digital zoom. Allows photographs to be taken with ultra-telephoto zoom at up to 2880 mm.
High-quality photography that widens the range of image expression
- Offering reduced loss of detail in highlights using an output pixel interpolation algorithm residing in dedicated logic circuits in the Smooth Imaging Engine IV imaging engine to allow high-contrast scenes to be reproduced more faithfully, exactly as they appear to the naked eye.
- Reduces noise without affecting resolution, tone characteristics, or color using a noise reduction algorithm to process the image signal as it is output from the CMOS image sensor. Enables sophisticated variance-estimation type noise reduction processing in which the sensor image data's noise variance is analyzed and the optimum processing is done for each region when the noise reduction level is set to MAX.
- Equipped with a back-illuminated 10.00 million-pixel CMOS sensor. Ensures that beautiful images can be captured even in dark scenes.
14 different types of Scene Modes providing easy access to whole suites of photographic techniques specifically adapted to the subject
- Comes with a new Cooking mode that is perfect for shooting photographs of food. The new Cooking mode setting enables the brightness and color tone of the scene to be adjusted while the subject is checked.
- Includes a new Fireworks mode that works great for taking shots of fireworks as they flash across the sky.
- Comes with a new Golf Swing Continuous mode that displays grid lines during shooting and playback. Perfect to use for checking your golf swing.
- Enables super-resolution zoom to be used in Zoom Macro mode, which optimizes the zoom position automatically to allow the subject to be shot even larger than with normal macro shooting. Allows the subject to be shot even larger without any degradation of image quality as with normal zoom.
Creative shooting modes that allow you to enjoy shooting creative images
- Comes with six different types including Soft Focus, Cross Process, Toy Camera, and Miniaturize that can be selected to fit the subject and type of scene. Allows you to enjoy shooting images with a variety of effects.
High-definition 3.0-inch, 920,000-dot LCD monitor
- Equipped with a large, high-definition LCD monitor that has a wide viewing angle and high contrast. With a fluorine coat to prevent soiling, a hard coat to prevent scratches, and an anti-reflection (AR) coat designed to protect the screen against dirt and damage and guarantee excellent visibility even outdoors in direct sunlight.
- Reproduces image colors vividly with sRGB comparison of 100% for the color reproduction range.
A wide variety of functions based on the concept of the CX5 being "a tool that you will find yourself wanting to use every day"
- Equipped with new HDMI terminals. Allows high-definition (HD) movies with a frame size of 1280 x 720 pixels to be viewed on an HD TV using an HDMI cable (sold separately).
- Comes equipped with macro shooting functions that allow you to get as close to the subject as 1 cm for wide-angle and 28 cm for telephoto. Equivalent to 31 mm for 35-mm film equivalents.
- Enables high-speed continuous shooting at speeds of up to approx. 5 frames/sec. • Equipped with Scene Auto Mode, which automatically switches to the optimal shooting settings for the scene when the camera is merely pointed at a scene.
- Comes with Subject-tracking AF, which continuously tracks and focuses on the subject automatically.
- The CX5 is compatible with Eye-Fi cards (X2 Series), SD memory cards with built-in wireless LAN functionality, which enables captured images to be transferred wirelessly to a computer or online image sharing service automatically. An icon will appear while an Eye-Fi card is being used to display the communications status.
|Sensor|| 1/2.3" Type CMOS
10.00 million effective pixels
10.60 total pixels
|Image sizes|| 3648 x 2736
3648 x 2432
2736 x 2736
3648 x 2048
2592 x 1944
2048 x 1536
1728 x 1296 (Multi-Picture only)
1280 x 960
640 x 480
|Movie clips|| 1280 x 720
640 x 480
320 x 240
|Text|| 3648 x 2736
2048 x 1536
|File formats|| JPEG (Exif v2.3)
CIPA DC-007-2009 Multi-Picture Format
AVI (Open DML Motion JPEG Format compliant)
WAVE (Sound Files)
|Lens|| 28 - 300mm (35mm equiv)
With Step Zoom set: 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 105mm, 135mm, 200mm, and 300mm
f = 4.9-52.5mm
10.7x optical zoom
Lens Construction: 10 elements in 7 groups (aspheric lens: 4 elements and 5 surfaces)
|Digital zoom||up to 4.8x|
|Focus||Contrast AF method with AF auxiliary light
Contrast AF method
Fixed focus method
|Focus distance||Closest focus distance 1 cm|
|Metering|| Multi (256 segments)
Centre Weighted Light Metering
|ISO sensitivity|| Auto
|Exposure compensation||+/- 2EV in 1/3 stop increments|
|Auto Bracketing||+/- 5EV|
|Shutter speed|| 8 sec-1/1200 sec
Movie : 1/30 - 1/2000 sec.
|Shooting modes|| Auto
Creative shooting modes
|Scene modes|| Portrait
Golf Swing Continuous Mode
|Creative shooting modes|| Dynamic Range
High Contrast B&W
|White balance|| Auto
White Balance Bracket
|Self timer|| 2 or 10sec
|Continuous shooting|| Approx 5 fps|
|Flash|| Auto, Red-eye-Reduction, Flash On, Slow Synchro, Flash Off
Range : Approx. 20 cm - 4.0 m (Wide), approx. 28 cm -3.0m (Telephoto)
Flash Compensation (+/-2.0EV (1/3EV Steps)
|LCD monitor|| 3.0" TFT
|Connectivity|| USB Hi-Speed
AV out (PAL / NTSC switchable)
|Storage|| Internal memory 40MB
|Power||Rechargeable Battery DB-100|
|Weight (no batt)||176 g|
|Dimensions||102 x 58 x 29 mm|
Jan 25, 2014
Jul 20, 2011
Jan 24, 2014
Jan 23, 2014
Sony's newest G Master telephoto zoom, announced alongside the a9, is the first of the company's FE lenses to reach 400mm natively. We had one in California and photographed horses, portraits, and landscapes - check out how it did. Read more
Garmin has entered the 360-camera market with the VIRB, which captures 5.7K video at 30p as well as 15MP stills. Read more
Join DPReview editors Rishi Sanyal and Carey Rose on Facebook Live as they share their experience and answer your questions about the new Sony a9, Wednesday at 9:30 AM Pacific time. Click here for additional details and time zones
German media reports that the founders of the company behind the Panono 360-degree ball camera have filed for bankruptcy at a court in Berlin. Read more
With a claimed 800 new custom parts, Microsoft's updated Surface Pro comes with the latest Kaby Lake processors, better battery life, a new hinge, plus the Surface Pen is updated as well. Read more
DW Photo is attempting to resurrect the Hy6 medium format camera, though the legal tangles of its development may stop it being branded Rolleiflex.
The Kodak EKTRA, the company's 'camera first' smartphone, is now available to purchase in the United States. Read more
Apple and Nokia have settled their years-old patent dispute. Apple will make an undisclosed payment to Nokia and sign a licensing agreement related to digital health products with the Finnish company.
David Gibson, one of Britain's best known street shooters, shares all.
Photographers from the SKYGLOW project travelled 150k miles and took 3 million photos in increasingly rare locations: those without light pollution.
The world's fastest 200mm was produced for 16 years. In that time, only 8000 were made.
Photokina, the biennial photo industry trade show in Cologne, Germany, has announced that it will become an annual event beginning in 2018, and expand its focus to additional areas of imaging technology. Read more
No mic socket? No problem. In this video, Daniel Peters at Photo Gear News shows you how to make a lapel microphone using just a smartphone and a pair of earbuds.
How does the iPhone 7 Plus stack up against the Arri Alexa cinema camera? Watch this short video to find out.
Canon Australia's video series "The Lab" is designed to make photographers experiment and think outside the box. In the latest video a group of photographers create images based on their sense of taste.
The GH5 is expected to get a firmware update this summer to support 400Mbps internal recording. NewsShooter explores what memory cards you'll need to make it work.
Microsoft's new Surface Pro offers Intel's latest processor generation and improved battery life.
Riding a mountain bike downhill is dangerous enough in daylight, but potentially lethal at night. Which is where drones come in.
Rumors abound that Canon (and maybe Nikon) may produce a mirrorless camera based using their existing DSLR mount. Does this guarantee immediate great lens choice or a perpetually second-rate experience? Read more
According to rumors, the next camera from Nest will be able to capture 4K video, though that resolution will be only used for 'virtual' pan and tilt functions.
Boundary's Prima 'fully modular' backpack is expandable to 30L and has a removable camera case and tablet sleeve. Early Kickstarter backers can get one for $189.
Stanley Greene captured 'brutally honest' photographs in the war zones of the Middle East, Chechnya and Georgia. He was also one of the few African-American photographers working internationally.
Owners of Leica M cameras that suffer from peeling CCDs will be able to claim a free repair in the future so long as the camera was purchased within five years of the fault becoming apparent, the company has announced. Read more
The Carl Zeiss Jena BIOTAR 75mm F1.5 Red T lens is very rare and priced accordingly. It can be yours today for the low, low price of $15,000.
The MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) has developed a drone that does not require any human control for recording tracking shots. Read more
In this terrifying video, Iraqi journalist Ammar Alwaely narrowly misses a sniper's bullet, which takes out his chest-mounted GoPro. Warning: strong language. Watch the video
A new report expects action camera growth to increase about 15% by 2021, with Ultra HD cameras driving demand. Read more
Profiles for Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom have been released for Irix's ultra-wide 11mm and 15mm primes. Like all profiles, these correct for distortion and vignetting.
An upcoming firmware update from DJI will cripple its drones unless they are 'activated' on the company's website. Live streaming will be turned off and flight radius/altitude will be limited.
Brent from ShareGrid rounds up the 10 most common products filmmakers are renting from one another for productions; chances are good you own one or more of them.