Ricoh launches standard zoom GXR module with 16MP APS-C sensor
Ricoh has released a 24-85mm equival ent F3.5-5.5 zoom module with a 16MP APS-C sensor for its GXR system. The latest camera unit offers a flexible focal length range that starts slightly wider than the average kit zoom, without making the camera excessively large. It's the first GXR module to be built around a 16MP sensor. Announced back in November, it is the first zoom module for the system to offer APS-C image quality. If our suspicions are correct and it uses the excellent Sony 16MP sensor, this promises a lot both in terms of image quality and focus speed (the faster readout of the sensor helps contrast-detection systems to more quickly ascertain correct focus).
Ricoh announces RICOH LENS A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5
A new GXR camera unit featuring a 3.5x optical zoom lens (24-85 mm) and an APS-C size CMOS sensor
Tokyo, Japan, February 2, 2012—Ricoh Co., Ltd. today announced the development and release of RICOH LENS A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5, the fifth camera unit in the GXR interchangeable unit camera system.
First introduced in December 2009, the GXR is a revolutionary interchangeable unit camera system in which lenses can be changed by mounting camera units that integrate lens, image sensor, and image processing engine into a single unit.
The new RICOH LENS A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 brings together a newly developed 24-85 mm wide-angle zoom lens, an APS-C size CMOS sensor, and the proven Smooth Imaging Engine IV to create a unit with high image quality, high power of expression, and high flexibility.
Main features of RICOH LENS A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5
1 Newly developed 24-85 mm wide-angle zoom lens with an APS-C size CMOS sensor with approximately 16.20 million pixels
- This newly developed lens features a 9-group, 11-element configuration. The utilization of three double-sided aspherical lenses as well as high-refraction lenses effectively reduces various types of distortion across the entire zoom range. The result is high resolution and imaging power from edge to edge.
- The configuration of nine rounded aperture blades enables both highly precise aperture settings and beautiful bokeh.
- This camera unit features a 23.6 mm×15.7 mm (APS-C size) 16M CMOS sensor. In combination with the image processing engine Smooth Imaging Engine IV, this image sensor makes it possible to shoot high-quality images with smooth tonal gradations, as well as low noise and high-resolution.
2 Diverse shooting functions and high operability
- Dynamic range compensation reduces overexposure of highlights and underexposure of dark areas. For backlit and high-contrast scenes that cannot be handled with exposure compensation, doing the dynamic range compensation in specific portions of the image makes it possible to shoot the subject at a brightness level close to that seen by the naked eye.
- ISO sensitivity can be set in 1EV or 1/3EV steps.
- With the new ISO bracketing function, the photographer can shoot and record three images with different ISO sensitivities.
- When the new function for maintaining the same shooting settings is set on, by keeping the shutter release button pressed halfway after taking a picture, the photographer can continue to shoot with the same settings (focus, exposure, white balance, etc.).
- The function for recording a JPEG image simultaneously with the RAW image has been expanded so that it is now possible to record only the RAW image. This is suitable for a work flow based on the premise that image finishing is to be done on a PC after shooting. Since a JPEG file is not simultaneously recorded, this option is also useful when the photographer wants to increase the number of images which can be recorded on the memory card.
- It is now possible to turn ON/OFF the white saturation display that shows areas where bright portions will be rendered white and where color shade gradations will be lost.
- The tilt indicator function has been enhanced. In addition to the conventional horizontal indicator, this function can now also detect camera movement direction tilting.
- Copyright information such as the photographer’s name can be entered and written to the image Exif data. The recorded information can be checked on the playback screen detailed information display.
3 Highly precise focusing
- For the AF area size for spot AF, either normal or pinpoint can be selected.
- A focus-assist function has been included in an effort to raise the accuracy of manual focusing. The photographer can select from two modes and check the focus by strengthening outlines and contrast.
- The shooting screen can be magnified for convenience in focusing. The magnified area can be displayed in the center or across the entire screen. In addition, the image quality for 4x and 8x magnification has been further enhanced. The area to be magnified can be moved using the direction pad.
4 The power of expression that is a hallmark of the GXR series
- Picture settings for image quality and color can be customized with nine levels for easy creation of a diverse range of images.
- My Settings enables the settings for a wide range of shooting functions to be recorded in advance and specified in an instant when needed. For the setting storage, now six patterns can be stored in the body’s My Settings Box and six patterns can be stored in the SD card. This expands the world of photo expression by enabling GXR users to exchange their shooting settings.
- B (bulb) and T (time) can now be selected as the shutter speed in manual exposure mode. With “B,” the exposure continues while the shutter release button is pressed, and with “T,” the shutter release button is pressed to start and end the exposure. For both, the exposure is forcibly ended when 180 seconds have elapsed.
- New scene mode options have been added for the easy enjoyment of a wide range of photo expression. The five new options are soft focus, cross process, toy camera, miniaturize, and high contrast B&W. The photographer can create a unique image by just pressing the shutter release button.
- An image flag function has been added to enable the quick display of specific images from among those in the camera. Up to 20 images can be flagged.
- It is possible to shoot 1280 × 720 pixel HD movies.
* Note: When shooting movies of 1280×720 size, the use of an SD/SDHC memory card with an SD speed class of Class 6 or higher is recommended.
5 New options added
- A newly designed lens hood (LH-2) especially for this camera unit.
- A lens cap (LC-3) that opens and closes simultaneously with the movement of the lens. It does not need to be removed when shooting.
- A wrapping sheet (WS-1) that can wrap the GXR when the camera unit, external viewfinder, and other options are attached.
RICOH LENS A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 options
|Self-retaining Lens Cap||LC-3|
- All of the focal lengths in this release are converted to the equivalent values for a 35 mm film camera.
- LH-2 and LC-3 are new options being introduced at this time.
- Functions when the GXR body is attached.
|Body type||Rangefinder-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||4928 x 3264|
|Other resolutions||4352 x 3264, 4928 x 2768, 3456 x 1944, 3456 x 2304, 3264 x 3264, 3072 x 2304, 2592 x 1944, 2304 x 2304, 2048 x 1536, 1280 x 960, 640 x 480|
|Image ratio w:h||1:1, 4:3, 3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||16 megapixels|
|Sensor photo detectors||17 megapixels|
|Sensor size||APS-C (23.6 x 15.7 mm)|
|Processor||Smooth Imaging Engine IV|
|Color filter array||Primary color filter|
|ISO||Auto, Auto-Hi, ISO-Lo, 200, 250, 320, 400, 500, 640, 800, 1000, 1250, 1600, 2000, 2500, 3200|
|White balance presets||5|
|Custom white balance||Yes (1)|
|JPEG quality levels||Normal, Fine|
|Optics & Focus|
|Focal length (equiv.)||24–85 mm|
|Autofocus assist lamp||Yes|
|Digital zoom||Yes (4x)|
|Normal focus range||25 cm (9.84″)|
|Focal length multiplier||1.5×|
|Screen / viewfinder|
|Screen type||TFT color LCD|
|Viewfinder type||Electronic (optional)|
|Minimum shutter speed||180 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/3200 sec|
|Built-in flash||Yes (Pop-up)|
|External flash||Yes (Hot-shoe)|
|Flash modes||Auto, On, Off, Red-Eye, Slow Sync, Manual|
|Continuous drive||2.5 fps|
|Self-timer||Yes (2 or 10 sec, 10 sec (3 images) )|
|Exposure compensation||±4 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±2 (3 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|Resolutions||1280 x 720 (30 fps), 640 x 480 (30 fps), 320 x 240 (30 fps)|
|Storage types||SD/SDHC, Internal|
|USB||USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)|
|HDMI||Yes (Mini HDMI Type C)|
|Battery description||Lithium-Ion DB-90 rechargeable battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||400|
|Dimensions||114 x 75 x 93 mm (4.49 x 2.95 x 3.66″)|
Jan 20, 2015
Jan 15, 2015
Jan 15, 2015
Jan 15, 2015
|Waffles with fruits by Coolinarka|
from Food photography (desserts)
|Vestrahorn Frozen Reflection by Will B Milner|
from Ice cold
We got our hands on the first zoom lens available for Fujifim's new digital medium format system. Check out the samples
As summer really gets going over here in the Northern hemisphere, the team at Imaging Resource has put together a list of the best cameras for backpacking.
The Ukrainian Parliament banned statues of Lenin in 2015. Two years later, the monuments no longer adorn public buildings or stand watch over town squares, but they're still there.
If you had to choose one camera to bring along for the ultimate West coast road trip, what would it be? DPR's Sam Spencer choose the X100F. Read more
The a9 boasts impressive capability. As more examples of it in practice pour in, Sony's claims hold up. Watch the a9 track and maintain focus on a rapidly approaching basketball.
Last week, more than a million tonnes of Californian coastline slid into the ocean, taking part of Highway 1 with it. Check out the remodeling in photos taken before and after the landslide.
Even after eighteen months of reviewing the latest, greatest, shiniest and must-buy-me-est new gear, DPReview staffer Carey Rose has continued to use older DSLR cameras for his freelance work. But now, that might be changing. Read more
Sony is the world's leading mirrorless camera brand but remains third for ILCs overall, it's said in a presentation to investors. A focus on high value cameras and lenses should boost operating income, it says. Read more
It's nicknamed the 'Cycloptic Mustard Monster,' and is a 3D printed medium format camera. Read more
The new NanGuang LED lights are battery powered and come with accessories including filters and diffusers.
Have you been telling yourself, "Hey, I really need one of those 8K displays?" A video about Dell's new 8K monitor shows you what to expect. Is it really that much better?
Tamara Lackey, a Nikon ambassador USA and pro shooter, discusses embracing self-consciousness as a means of connecting with subjects.
There's a new Spiderman movie coming out and the poster been generating a lot of online chatter. Mostly about how it looks like the creation of a fevered teenager that just discovered Photoshop.
An honest defense of the system's merits, with photos as proof.
Copyright disputes are no fun at all. 'Binded' is a new startup that aims to simplify the process of registering - and enforcing - copyright for photographers. Read more
Not everyone wants to pay a premium for a long zoom camera. Thankfully, there are many reasonably priced cameras available, though they won't offer the same image quality as enthusiast models. In this updated roundup we look at big zoom cameras with more consumer-friendly price tags. Read more
Think Tank Photo has updated two of its popular bag lines with improvements to functionality. Read more
We’ve all seen Bob Jackson’s Pulitzer Prize winning photo, but there's another.
The sample footage looks good.
It will automatically pick the best camera settings depending on shooting conditions. It even promises enhanced functionality for your camera, like exposure and focus stacking. It already supports many cameras from Canon, Fuji, Nikon and Sony. Read more
As if $13,950 wasn’t enough to pay for a special edition lens, the Leica Store in San Francisco is offering a prototype of said lens for $24,995. Read more
Make those old photos disappear without deleting them forever.
Firmware updates enable 10 fps shooting with adapted A-mount lenses, and faster startup times and better compatibility for 20 fps shooting when using native lenses on the a9.
Fujifilm has released firmware updates for its camera models X-T2, X-Pro2, GFX 50s, X-T20, X100F and X-T1 and updates to three of its software products.
A 22 year-old Romanian photographer uses his DJI Phantom 4 drone to capture unique perspectives of the city where he now lives.
What's it like to ride the waves with champion surfer Kelly Slater? This VR video from Teton Gravity Research gives you a taste.
When Nikon released the full-frame D3 in 2007, it changed the professional photography industry. In this week's Throwback Thursday, Barney remembers a legend. Read more
The new stuff should have better red hues, improved sensitivity and finer grain - but don't worry - will still shift blues to green, greens to purple and yellows to pink.
Ricoh has introduced a new rugged compact camera with a 16MP CMOS sensor, 28-140mm lens, 2.7" LCD and built-in LED macro lights. Read more
This compact drone can shoot HD video using a 2-axis stabilized 12MP camera. Read more