Firmware update gives Sony QX-series cameras more manual control
Sony has announced firmware upgrades that enhance the features of its QX-series 'lens-style' cameras, which clip on to the front of your smartphone. The update adds Full HD video recording and an expanded ISO range for both the QX10 and QX100, while the latter also receives a shutter priority mode. Version 4.0 of Sony's PlayMemories Mobile app has more seamless viewing of photos and also promises double the performance on iOS devices (an improved Android app will follow next year). The PMM 4.0 app is available for download now, while the firmware update will be released in January.
SONY ANNOUNCES SOFTWARE AND FIRMWARE UPDATES IMPROVING SPEED, FUNCTIONALITY OF CYBER-SHOT QX “LENS-STYLE” CAMERAS
New PlayMemories Mobile™ App Version 4.0 Adds Photo Browsing, Faster Connection Speeds; New Firmware Adds Full HD video shooting, Expanded ISO Range and more
SAN DIEGO, Dec. 18, 2013 – Sony Electronics has announced plans for a software and firmware update designed to improve the overall usability, speed and functionality of the Cyber-shot QX100 and QX10 “Lens-style” Cameras.
The software update for the PlayMemories Mobile™ application – Version 4.0 – will work with all Sony Wi-Fi enabled cameras in addition to the Cyber-shot QX series, and will be available immediately in both Google Play™ and App Store™. The updated application will feature:
- Embedded Photo Browser – A “Quick Viewer” photo browser has been added to the PlayMemories Mobile application, which will allow for seamless navigation between shooting images and viewing images in playback mode.
- Improved Speed and Functionality – The newest version of the application will have improved connectivity speed when linking to devices running the Apple iOS™ platform. More specifically, connection start up time will be approximately twice as fast compared to previous versions of the PlayMemories Mobile application.
Sony will be releasing another software update in Spring 2014 to improve connectivity speed with Android devices.
CAMERA FIRMWARE UPDATE
Additionally, there will be a firmware update for QX cameras in January which will add a variety of exciting capabilities including:
- Full HD Movie Recording (QX100 and QX10): Both of the Cyber-shot QX Series cameras will have the ability to shoot Full HD 1080p video (1920x1080@30p in MP4) after the firmware update.
- Shutter Priority (“S”) Mode (QX100 only): The Shutter Priority (“S”) mode will be added to the QX100 camera to allow direct access control to shutter speed.
- Expanded ISO Shooting Range (QX100 and QX10): Each of the cameras will be able to shoot at higher ISO settings for greater versatility in low-light conditions. The QX10 camera will be expanded from max ISO 1600 to max ISO 3200. The QX100 camera will be expanded from max ISO 3200 to max ISO 12800.
|Mode||Now||After update||Now||After update|
|Program auto||ISO||160 - 3200||160 - 12800||100 - 1600||100 - 3200|
|Aperture priority||ISO||160 - 3200||160 - 12800||N/A||N/A|
|Shutter priority||ISO||N/A||160 - 12800||N/A||N/A|
|N/A||30 - 1/2000 s||N/A||N/A|
Apr 15, 2014
Feb 1, 2014
Sep 12, 2013
Sep 25, 2016
|QX 10, White, Base|
|Sony DSC-QX100 Smartphone Attachable Lens-style Camera|
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Flower in flower by atdigit|
from Random Items Challenge 26
|Surface tension by atdigit|
from Right in the middle
|A Normal Dat at Thomas's Clap 2016-9379 by Andrew Maltzoff|
from Show us SCHOOL!