Adobe announces new 'Focus masks' feature in CC update
Following last week's video teasing the release of a new feature coming to Photoshop CC, Adobe has made the update official. In addition to the 'Focus Masks' feature that we already knew about, today's official announcement brings a host of mostly minor new features including new blur effects, updates to content aware fill, and improvements to tools like smart guides.
- A new blur filter gallery offering motion effects like spin and path blur
- More sophisticated color and texture blending adjustments for content aware fill
- 'Smarter' smart guides that provide more information about layer positioning
- A redesigned color panel
- Access to recently used brushes
- Experimental feature manager (an opt-in option for trying out pre-release features).
In the video teaser released last week, Zorana Gee, senior Photoshop product manager explains that with the new focus masks feature, Adobe is 'adding a new way to make an automatic selection based [on] pixels that are in focus versus out of focus'. Judging by the very quick walkthrough provided in the video, this feature should be a powerful addition to Photoshop CC's suite of editing tools, especially for fans of shallow depth of field work.
Photoshop CC: Focus Masks
Mar 8, 2017
Mar 7, 2017
Mar 15, 2017
Mar 7, 2017
|National Gallery of Art by Kukla|
from Your City - Black and White (in colour!)
|Hummingbird and Bee by dibilio57|
from My Best Photo of the Week
|The Snowy Egret by Lee8282|
from Color - Monochrome
|Skate Boarder dpr-0927 by vbuhay|
from Skateboarding Cover shot