Samsung promises extensive NX1 improvements with firmware v1.2
Samsung has announced a major firmware update for the NX1. During an interview held at CES 2015, the company detailed the changes coming in firmware v1.2, which will be available in 'mid January'.
Firmware v1.2 includes a series of additional features, increased customization and a number of menu refinements. DPReview was one of the organizations that provided Samsung with feedback on the camera and our use of it over the past few days has shown a selection of the requests we made have been incorporated.
Movie shooters will be the biggest beneficiaries of the update, with two gamma curves being added, along with higher-end features such as the output of timecode over HDMI for users of external recorders. Other tweaks include a higher bitrate setting for 1080p shooting, master black level controls and luminance limit options (0-255, 16-235 and 16-255). Autofocus speed is now controllable during movie shooting, as is a setting to define how doggedly the camera sticks to its original subject, in continuous AF mode.
More options have also been added in terms of how the camera handles. The big news from a handling perspective is the ability to assign exposure compensation or ISO to one of the camera's main control dials - a feature offered by all its major rivals. Dial direction can be reversed if you're used to a brand whose dials work backwards. There's also the option to use Auto ISO in manual exposure mode, with exposure compensation (in both stills and movie modes) - one of the requests we passed on, on behalf of our readers.
On top of this, the camera gains a further degree of button customization, with both the depth-of-field preview and delete button roles now being adjustable. The AEL and AF ON buttons' functions can be swapped, as can those of the [REC] and Wi-Fi buttons.
Changes in firmware v1.2
- Audio levels adjustable during movie capture
- ISO adjustable during movie capture
- 23.98p and 24p frame rates for 4K UHD and 1080 video
- 'Pro' movie quality setting added for 1080 capture
- Wider range of display options, including gridline, center, aspect ratio and action-safe area markers
- Output time code over HDMI (for use with external recorders)
- C Gamma and D Gamma curves added for movie shooting
- Master black level
- Luminance level limiting [0-255], [16-235], [16-255]
- AF speed control for smoother refocusing (3 settings)
- AF responsiveness control (dictates camera's readiness to change AF subject)
- Added tools for selecting and grabbing frames from video
Physical interface changes:
- Autofocus lock option in movie mode (if set to AEL button)
- AF/MF toggling in movie mode (AF ON button option)
- Wi-Fi and [REC] buttons' functions can be swapped
- AF On and AEL buttons' functions can be swapped
- Command dials' direction of operation can be reversed
- Add ISO or Exposure Comp. to command dial (customizable per PASM mode)
- DoF Preview and Delete buttons customizable
- Auto ISO options (ISO, ISO Customizing, Minimum Shutter Speed) arranged together in menus
- Smartphone App can operate as remote release using Bluetooth
- 'Quick Transfer' to automatically send thumbnails to a smartphone as they're shot
- Pair with multiple smart devices
- Check for firmware updates over Wi-Fi
- Trap Shot feature - fires shutter when a subject crosses a specified guideline
- Samsung Remote Studio for thethered shooting from Windows PC
- Samsung to release SDK for Windows to allow independent remote control software creation
Aug 31, 2016
Aug 22, 2016
Aug 18, 2016
May 17, 2016
|Samsung NX200 20.3 Megapixel 3D Mirrorless Camera with Lens - 18 mm - 55 mm - Black||$478.00|