Ricoh releases A12 28mm equiv. GXR module
Photokina 2010: Ricoh has announced the GR Lens A12 28 mm F2.5 wideangle prime module for its GXR system. Its 18.3mm F2.5 lens (28mm-equivalent) employs an exotic nine element / six group design, including two aspherical elements, one special low-dispersion glass element, and several high-refraction-ratio elements, promising high image quality across the frame. This fourth module for the interchangeable unit system also features a 12Mp APS-C CMOS sensor, a faster GR Engine III processor and 720p HD video recording. It also comes with a manual focus ring for focus precision and an electronic level.
Ricoh announces GR LENS A12 28 mm F2.5 line
Tokyo, Japan, September 21, 2010 —Ricoh Co., Ltd. (president and CEO: Shiro Kondo) today announced the development and release of GR LENS A12 28 mm F2.5, the fourth camera unit in the GXR interchangeable unit system. This product is being announced and exhibited at the photokina 2010 exhibition held in Cologne, Germany, beginning September 21, 2010.
Introduced in December 2009, the GXR is a revolutionary new interchangeable unit camera system in which lenses can be changed by mounting camera units that integrate lens, image sensor, and image processing engine into a single unit. In addition, to fully utilize this system's unique ability to accommodate interchangeable units other than camera units, Ricoh is also investigating possibilities for development of a variety of other devices.
The new GR LENS A12 28 mm F2.5 brings together a newly developed 28 mm wide-angle fixed focal length GR Lens, an APS-C size CMOS sensor, and the proven GR Engine III image processing engine to create a unit with high flexibility, high image quality, high-speed shooting ability, and high power of expression.
Main features of GR LENS A12 28 mm F2.5
Newly developed GR Lens and APS-C size CMOS sensor for strong resolution and imaging power
- The new 28 mm equivalent GR Lens has a 6-group, 9-element configuration. Incorporating two aspherical lenses, one special low-dispersion lens, and multiple high-refraction-ratio lenses, this extravagant lens configuration achieves strong resolution and imaging power to the edge of the frame.
- The lens thoroughly corrects for various types of aberrations while at the same time utilizing a floating lens structure to suppress performance changes caused by focusing. The result at all shooting distances is high image quality worthy of the GR Lens name.*1
- A 23.6 mm × 15.7 mm (APS-C size) CMOS sensor is used. The combination of this sensor with the GR ENGINE III image processing engine enables the camera unit to shoot high-quality images with smooth tone gradations as well as high definition and low noise.
- The use of a configuration of nine rounded aperture blades enables the photographer to enjoy beautiful bokeh as well as precise aperture settings.
Rapid shooting capabilities help capture fleeting shutter chances
- Focusing speed has been accelerated through the addition of the new drive mode and the use of a high-speed CMOS sensor.
- The Pre-AF function also accelerates focusing speed by adjusting the focus to match subject movement.
- The full press snap function shoots at a preset distance for a one-push full-press of the shutter-release button.
High usability and quality feel
- The manual focus ring is available for precise focus adjustments. High-speed adjustment is also an option. The manual focus ring can even be used to seamlessly fine tune the focus after automatic focusing.
- The target position can be magnified on the screen during shooting, and it can also be moved using the direction keys. Select from 2x, 4x, and 8x magnification ratios for convenient and precise focus checking.
- The two options of normal and pinpoint can be selected for the AF area size used in spot AF.
- For the exterior, we utilized die cast magnesium, which has a strong track record in the GR series, and we covered the surface with a corrosion-resistant "pear-skin" coating. The end result is a body with durability, light weight, and a superior feel in hand.
GXR series power of expression takes full advantage of GR Lens capabilities
- Multi-pattern auto white balance makes it possible to recreate natural as-seen colors even in people-photography scenes that were difficult to shoot with past auto white balance functions, such as scenes with both shadow and sunlight and scenes mixing flash and natural light (or fluorescent light, etc.).
- ISO3200 facilitates shooting in low light conditions.
- The noise reduction level can be specified as Off, Weak, Strong, Max, or Auto. By specifying Max, it is possible to do sophisticated variance-estimation type noise reduction processing in which the sensor image data's noise distribution is analyzed and the optimum processing is done for each region.
- The automatic exposure modes include program shift mode, shutter speed priority mode, and aperture priority mode.
- Picture settings can be customized with nine setting levels for easy creation of a diverse range of images.
Diverse functions of the GXR series
- An electronic level utilizing an acceleration sensor.
- Three grid guides useful for framing images while shooting.
- An image flag function to enable the quick display of specific images from among those in the camera. Up to 20 images can be flagged.
- The DIRECT screen enabling current shooting settings to be displayed and changed. Settings can be easily checked at a glance.
- It is possible to shoot 1280 × 720 pixel HD movies.*2
*1To be given the “GR Lens” name by Ricoh, a lens must exceed a specified level of overall lens performance, with particular attention being given to MTF values, distortion, and color aberration.
*2 Note: When shooting movies of 1280×720 size, the use of an SD/SDHC memory card with an SD speed class of Class 6 or higher is recommended.
|Designation||GR LENS A12 28 mm F2.5|
|Price||TBC as a kit with the GXR body
TBC module only
|Focal length||18.3 mm|
|Focal length (35mm equiv.)||28 mm|
|Construction||9 elements in 6 groups (2 aspherical lens elements with 2 surfaces)|
|Focus range||• Approx. 20 cm – ∞|
|Effective Pixels||Approx 12.3million|
|Image Sensor||• 23.6 mm × 15.7 mm CMOS
• Total pixels: 12.90 Million
|Focus||• Contrast detect AF
• Manual focus
|Shutter speeds||• Stills: 180 sec - 1/3200
• Movies: 1/30 sec - 1/2000
• ISO 200-3200
Number of pictures shot in M-Cont Plus (1 set):
|File types||• JPEG (2 levels)
• Raw (DNG)
|Movie mode||• 1280 x 720
• 640 x 480
• 320 x 240
• 24 fps
|Battery life (CIPA)||DB-90: approx. 320 shots|
(when mounted on the GXR body)
|Dimensions||113mm × 70mm × 56mm
(when mounted on the GXR body)
Mar 24, 2011
Sep 19, 2013
Sep 17, 2013
Sep 12, 2013
|Autumn by valenttin|
from Harvest Festivals
|Cardinal, Male by paul katinas|
from A Big Year - birds
|.. by Amar Vignesh|
from Unintentional Blur
|Freeze Time by WhistlerOne|
|Sir Mick Jagger by HetFotoAtelier|
from - Concerts : When The Lights Come On -
If you're set on investing in a seriously capable compact, no doubt these two cameras will be on your list. Here's how they square up.
Adobe's experimental Project 'Deep Fill' is an incredibly powerful and impressive, AI-powered version of Content Aware Fill. Watch the demo to see this amazing tool in action.
LEE has released a new series of Reverse ND filters that are most opaque in the middle and become progressively clearer towards the top. This makes them ideal for capturing scenes where the sun is close to the horizon.
A former New York Times photographer is suing both the newspaper and its photography director Michele McNally for over $500,000 for age discrimination and unfair classification as a freelancer for nearly a decade.
"CPS Platinum members will now enjoy next-day service, with equipment serviced and shipped the business day after an estimate is approved. For repairs that will take longer, Canon will offer next-day loaner equipment."
Irix is introducing a new filter system called the Irix Edge 100. The ultra-light, ultra-thin system is build specifically for wide angle lenses like Irix's own 15mm F2.4.
After conducting a series of safety tests, the FAA is recommending that all airlines ban cameras and other electronics with Lithium Ion batteries from checked baggage. The agency believe the risk of a catastrophic fire and explosion is too great.
The Pixentu jackets keep you and your gear warm and dry, offering useful features like lens and tripod pockets, in addition to some quirky ones like an extended hood to protect your camera from the rain.
Adobe gave the audience at MAX a sneak peek at some exciting new technology its developing. It's called Adobe Cloak: a highly capable Content Aware Fill-like feature for video editors.
Earlier today, Flickr moved its photo book printing service over to a third party services, and stopped offering any wall art options entirely.
The patent details a flipping rear LCD screen so large, Canon has had to hide the rear dial and several buttons underneath.
We've added a selection of extra images to our Nikon D850 gallery. As part of the process of rounding off the review we made sure a number of us had shot the camera in a variety of situations, we've added those shots to the gallery to give a broad cross section of how the camera performs.
Wiral LITE is an affordable, easy-to-use cable cam system that can do things a portable slider simply can't do, and go places no slider would dare go.
Not happy with the recent demise of Lightroom as a stand-alone, subscription free service? Macphun's got your back... or they will in 2018.
Once connected to a PC, Mac, tablet or smartphone, Pholio automatically searches through the device storage and backs up all images and videos—complete with auto-tagging and intelligent search capabilities.
The 360 Round uses eight horizontally positioned camera pairs and one upward-pointing single lens to capture and livestream panoramic 4K 3D content.
Introduced just three years ago, the Samsung NX1 was both a technological tour-de-force and a great camera to use, earning one of the highest scores we've ever awarded and winning our 2015 Innovation Award. But its short-lived run in the photo world leaves us wondering what could have been.
The Fujifilm X-E3 is styled like a classic rangefinder, but features a built-in touchscreen, AF joystick, and electronic viewfinder – truly an old school meets new type of camera. Lay some eyes on our sample gallery to see how it performs in the real world.
Like it or not, Adobe is embracing a cloud-centric, AI-rich future with the introduction of Lightroom CC. And that's a great thing, though you may not see it now, argues Rishi Sanyal.
The announcement of a more cloud-integrated Lightroom product sees the death of the company's standalone version. This need to make payments in perpetuity (whether you choose Lightroom Classic or CC), chips away at the idea that your Lightroom library is a long-term solution, argues Richard Butler.
The XPro-C 2.4GHz wireless flash trigger that Godox released for Canon users last month now has a Nikon equivalent—the aptly named XPro-N. Sony, Fujifilm and MFT versions are in the works.
In the aftermath of hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria, camera and lens maker Sigma is extending its standard product warranty to cover damage caused by these three natural disasters.
The F4 Plus can can capture 360° stills, videos and broadcast livestream footage at 8K resolution... that's 7680 x 3840 pixels!
Lightroom is hogging the spotlight at Adobe MAX, but Photoshop CC got some substantial improvements as well. Find out what's new in the latest version of Photoshop CC.
The aptly-named 'Nude' app automatically detects NSFW images on your iPhone, moves them to a protected vault and deletes the original files in the camera roll and on iCloud.
The Zeiss Milvus family of manual-focus full-frame lenses just gained a new member. Meet the Zeiss Milvus 24mm F1.4: a fast, rugged new lens designed primarily for landscape and architecture photography.
Lightroom has built a brand new Lightroom CC from the ground up to be faster, easier to use, and cloud-based. The application formerly known as Lightroom CC will continue to exist, and will go by "Lightroom Classic CC."
Google Research did a deep dive on the Pixel 2 smartphone's background-blurring portrait mode that uses neural networking and dual-pixel technology instead of a dual-camera setup.
With the arrival of the PowerShot G1 X III, there are now seven Canon cameras built around the 24MP Dual Pixel sensor and Digic 7 processor. We take a look at the differences and what might prompt you to choose one over the others.
Meet the HP ZBook x2. The so-called 'world's most powerful and first detachable PC workstation,' it was built with creative professionals in mind, and is being debuted at Adobe MAX.