Ricoh GR II adds Wi-Fi and not much else to GR feature set
Ricoh has announced the GR II, an update to its APS-C enthusiast compact. It maintains nearly all of the original GR's specifications, including a 16MP sensor and 28mm F2.8 lens, but adds Wi-Fi and NFC to the feature set. Wireless flash functionality is also added with some Pentax flash units.
Other aspects of the camera have seen minor improvements over the preceding model, including an increased 1/2500 sec shutter speed at maximum aperture, some white balance tweaks, increased buffer depth to 10 frames for 4 fps Raw shooting, and continuous or spot AF modes in video shooting.
The Ricoh GR II will be available from July for $799/£599.
Ricoh Imaging Unveils GR II, its Newest Premium Compact Camera, Featuring Wi-Fi and NFC Capabilities
Popular for combining exceptional image quality with outstanding portability, new functions now enable easy image sharing and expanded effects options
DENVER, CO, June 17, 2015 - Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation (Ricoh Imaging) today announced the newest camera in its GR series, the RICOH GR II, a premium compact camera with Wi-Fi and Near Field Communication (NFC) functionality. The GR II is the smallest premium compact with DSLR image quality, making it ideal for advanced photographers who want the quality of an SLR camera but the portability of a smart phone.
To manage the new built-in Wi-Fi and NFC functions, Ricoh Imaging also announced GR Remote, a web-based application which allows users to control camera settings virtually via any browser, as well as view and share images wirelessly. Image Sync, available on PENTAX DSLR models, is also supported on the new GR II. It enables GR users to easily browse and transfer images to accompanying mobile devices.
“With the introduction of the GR II, we are taking the premium compact camera to a new level, offering the key features desired by photo enthusiasts: high resolution, a wide angle lens, quick shoot time and portability,” said Jim Malcolm, President of Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation. “With its new Wi-Fi and NFC capabilities, photographers can now easily share their exceptional street and travel shots more easily, benefiting from the best of both worlds.”
Features of the new GR II camera include:
- High-quality, high-resolution: The GR 18.3mm F2.8 lens is a compact, high-performance GR lens with a focal length of 28mm (in the 35mm format). The GR II also boasts a large, APS-C-size CMOS image sensor with approximately 16.2 effective megapixels. Equal in imaging area to the type used for most PENTAX digital SLR models, the sensor combined with the GR lens assures exceptional image quality.
- High-speed: The GR II’s high-speed AF system can focus in a mere 0.2 seconds, thanks to the optimization of its lens drive mechanism and AF algorithm, and it also has a one second start up and shut down time. Further, with the GR II users can go instantly from the play back mode to shooting by half pressing on the shutter release button.
- Pocket-sized: Even though it incorporates a host of Wi-Fi functions, the GR II comes in the same size as the previous GR model. Its exterior housing is made of lightweight, high-rigidity magnesium alloy, while its grip is shaped for easy, comfortable hold, and features a control button layout that enables simple one-hand operation.
- Expanded creative functionality: The GR II provides a total of 17 effect modes with six new modes added including: Clarity, Brilliance, Bright, Portrait, Vibrant and HDR Tone. The new GR II also includes a full range of shooting functions including an in-camera RAW data development function, full HD movie recording for high-quality, extended videos; and, wireless control of PENTAX AF360FGZII & AF540FGZII external flashes.
Pricing and Availability
The Ricoh GR II will be available for purchase July 2015 in stores nationwide and at www.ricohimaging.com for a retail price of $799.95.
Ricoh GR II specifications
|Body type||Large sensor compact|
|Body material||Magnesium alloy|
|Max resolution||4928 x 3264|
|Other resolutions||3:2 (3936 x 2608, 2912 x 1936, 1280 x 864), 4:3 (4352 x 3264, 3488 x 2068, 2592 x 1936x 1152 x 864), 1:1 (3264 x 3264, 1936 x 1936, 864 x 864)|
|Image ratio w:h||1:1, 4:3, 3:2|
|Effective pixels||16 megapixels|
|Sensor photo detectors||17 megapixels|
|Sensor size||APS-C (23.7 x 15.7 mm)|
|Processor||GR Engine V|
|Color filter array||Primary color filter|
|White balance presets||10|
|Custom white balance||Yes|
|Optics & Focus|
|Focal length (equiv.)||28 mm|
|Autofocus assist lamp||Yes|
|Normal focus range||30 cm (11.81″)|
|Macro focus range||10 cm (3.94″)|
|Number of focus points||9|
|Screen / viewfinder|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Viewfinder type||Optical (optional)|
|Minimum shutter speed||300 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/4000 sec|
|Flash range||3.00 m (at Auto ISO)|
|External flash||Yes (via hot shoe)|
|Flash modes||Auto, Flash On, Flash Synchro., Manual Flash, Red-Eye Flash Auto, Red-Eye Flash On, Red-Eye Flash Synchro, Wireless|
|Flash X sync speed||1/2000 sec|
|Continuous drive||4.0 fps|
|Exposure compensation||±4 (at 1/3 EV steps)|
|Resolutions||1920 x 1080 (30p, 25p, 24p), 1280 x 720 (60p, 50p, 30p, 25p, 24p), 640 x 480 (30p, 25p, 24p)|
|USB||USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)|
|Wireless notes||802.11b/g/n with NFC|
|Remote control||Yes (wired or via smartphone)|
|Battery description||DB-65 lithium-ion battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||320|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||251 g (0.55 lb / 8.85 oz)|
|Dimensions||117 x 63 x 35 mm (4.61 x 2.48 x 1.38″)|
- Fujifilm X-T223.6%
- Nikon D50025.4%
- Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E8.2%
- Olympus M.Zuiko 12-100mm F47.5%
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-G857.2%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art6.7%
- Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 Art5.1%
- Sony a63006.4%
- Sony Cyber-shot RX10 III3.7%
- Sony Cyber-shot RX100 V6.3%
|Lighthouse, Bottom of the World by CelticOdyssey|
from An A to Z of Subjects- Week 12, L
|Dundrum by Rik Powdrill|