Proof - if it were needed - that the megapixel war is far from over comes today in the shape of the first (and we're sure it won't be the last) 10.1 megapixel compact, the Casio Exilim EX-Z1000, which joins the EX-Z850 at the top of the range. Built around a new 1/1.8 inch, 10.1 MP CCD, the EX-Z1000 boasts a large, bright 2.8-inch LCD screen, 3x zoom and 37 Best Shot modes. It also features Casio's 'Anti Shake' DSP (digital stabilization) and an ISO 3200 High Sensitivity mode.
CASIO Introduces New 10.1 Megapixel EXILIM ZOOM Digital Camera
With large 2.8 inch, wide and bright LCD display
APRIL 26 2006, LONDON, UK–CASIO ELECTRONICS CO. LTD., and its parent company, CASIO COMPUTER CO., LTD., have announced the release of the EX-Z1000, the latest exciting addition to CASIO’s stylish series of EXILIM ZOOM digital cameras. The EX-Z1000 captures images of remarkable quality for its very compact size, and its new wide-format Super Bright LCD display gives users the power to enjoy instant, high-impact images of their shots.
The new EXILIM ZOOM EX-Z1000 packs a powerful punch in a sleek, compact package. Small enough to be held in the palm of the hand, this 10.1 megapixel digital camera still captures super high-resolution images that reproduce crystal-clear even in very large sizes—perfect for printing or on-screen viewing of those priceless, once-in-a-lifetime shots. This new model is the first in the series to incorporate a large 2.8 inch, wide and bright LCD display. CASIO makes the most of this extra screen space to offer great new functions like simultaneous viewing of a wide angle and a telephoto shot, and a convenient right side set of icon controls.
High resolution 10.1 megapixel digital camera with large CCD
The EX-Z1000 has an effective 10.1 million pixels, powered by a large 1/1.8 inch format, high resolution CCD. Add the EXILIM Engine high-performance image processor, and the camera delivers highly expressive images and reproduces a wide tonal range.
Large 2.8 inch, wide and bright display
The EX-Z1000’s LCD display is a large, crystal clear 2.8 inch monitor in an attractive wide format. This high-resolution, 230,400 pixel LCD displays images and data with outstanding clarity and fine detail. With a maximum brightness of 1200cd/m2, the EX-Z1000’s wide and bright display makes viewing in bright outdoor light easier than ever before.
Since the moment of its debut in 2002, the EXILIM series has been transforming the digital camera market. EXILIM cameras are slim and stylish, packed with superior functionality, and astonishingly easy to use. Users appreciate EXILIM’s unique combination of compact size, intuitive controls, large displays, and long battery life. And the series continues to break new ground, with the recent introduction of functions like Anti Shake DSP, which reduces blurring due to unsteady hands or moving subjects, and the Super Bright display.
Hiroshi Fujii, Managing Director of Casio Electronics Co. Ltd said; “The recent explosion in digital photography among the mass market is leading to an increased demand for greater detail within users image capture; primarily driven by users first experiences of digital cameras and the uptake of imaging software.“ He continued; “Creative photographers will find the sleek stainless steel EX-Z1000 a delight to use when seeking to capture their own view of the world. Thanks to a ground-breaking 10 million pixels, Anti Shake, an ISO 3200 BEST SHOT mode, and Super Life Battery, users can be assured that their images will match their memories.”
Superior performance, amazing image quality, and functionality for beautiful photographs
- 10.1 million effective pixels.
- A high dynamic range, 1/1.8 inch CCD, which delivers low-noise imaging.
- The ability to zoom between 4.3x and 17.1x*1 with no reduction in image quality.
- BEST SHOT function with high sensitivity shooting mode, up to a maximum of ISO 3200.
- Anti Shake DSP, which is built into the EXILIM Engine image processor, reduces blurring due to unsteady hands or moving subjects.
- Rapid Flash function enables up to three shots per second, enabling high speed flash photography.
- Fast power-on function, so the first shot can be taken just 1.3 seconds*2 after switching on.
- Shutter release lag time of only approximately 0.002 seconds,*3 allowing the shot to be captured practically instantaneously with the push of the shutter button.
- High-speed picture playback of approximately 0.1 second interval.
- Super Life Battery allows up to 360 shots*4 to be taken, measured by CIPA standards.
Large, wide-format LCD display built for ease of viewing
- Large, 2.8 inch, wide format LCD monitor lets users enjoy high-impact images of their shots.
- High resolution, 230,400 pixel display presents clear, detailed images and data.
- Wide and bright display (brightness:1200cd/m2 *5) makes viewing in bright outdoor light easier than ever before.
- Display button can be used to change display formats with just one touch.
- Display utilizes a vertical stripe pixel array, ensuring that the menus are clear and easy to read.
- Right edge of the display shows operational icons, enabling easy operation and quick review of settings.
- Multi-image function can display 12 images on a single screen.
Photographic functions designed to take advantage of the camera’s high resolution
- The revolutionary Zoom Continuous Shutter mode allows the user to compare a wide angle and a telephoto shot in the same display and to take both shots simultaneously with only one press of the shutter button.
- Revive Shot refreshes the faded colours of old photos, bringing them back to life in digital format.
- Quick Zoom feature enables instant switch to a preset zoom ratio with just one touch of a button.
- 37 different types of BEST SHOT sample images. Users can choose one of these samples to make sure their photos come out just right.
- Movies can be taken in VGA size (640x480 pixels) at 25 frames per second (Motion JPEG).
Other functions for intuitively easy operation
- Quick Shutter function allows for fast focusing, reducing focusing error.
- Auto Macro mode allows for automatic switching between auto focus mode and macro mode.
- 9-Point Multi AF function clearly shows areas of auto focus when photographing subjects with multiple focus points.
- Direct On function allows users to press a single button to quickly start the camera in either shooting or playback mode.
- Multi-function cradle can be used to recharge the battery, connect to a PC to download images, and connect to audiovisual equipment. The cradle also has as a photostand function, allowing users to view an image slideshow.
*1 This applies with image size set anywhere from VGA to 5 megapixels. Zoom ratio can be enhanced by cropping an image.
*2 Using internal memory, with built-in flash off.
*3 With built-in flash off.
*4 With LCD display set to standard brightness.
*5 On the highest brightness setting, measured at the centre of the screen.
1/1.8 " Type CCD
|Image sizes|| 3648 x 2736
3648 x 2432 (3:2)
3648 x 2048 (16:9)
2560 x 1920
2048 x 1536
1600 x 1200
640 x 480
|Movie clips|| 640 x 480 (HQ)
640 x 480 (Normal)
320 x 240 (LP)
with WAV audio
|File formats|| JPEG (Exif v2.2)
AVI Motion JPEG
|Lens|| 38 - 114mm equiv
F2.8 - 5.4
3x optical zoom
|Image stabilization||Anti-Shake DSP|
|Digital zoom||up to 4x|
|Focus|| Contrast type AF (selectable between spot, multi)
Pan focus (movie)
|AF area modes||9-point Multi AF|
|AF assist lamp||Yes|
|Focus distance|| Auto Focus: 40cm - infinity
Macro: 6cm - 50cm
Manual: 6cm - infinity
|ISO sensitivity|| Auto (Max ISO sensitivity 800 when using Anti-Shake BEST SHOT mode, or 3200 when using High Sensitivity BEST SHOT mode)
|Exposure compensation|| -/+ 2EV
in 1/3 EV steps
|Shuttter speed|| 1/2 to 1/2000 sec (Normal)
4 to 1/2000 sec (Night scene)
|Aperture||F2.8 - 5.6|
Still with audio
Continuous shutter (normal speed, high speed, rapid flash, zoom continuous)
37 BEST SHOT modes
Movie with audio
|White balance|| Auto
Fixed (6 modes)
|Self timer|| 10 or 2 secs
High Power flash
Red eye reduction
Range: 0.1m - 3.6m (wide), 0.4m - 1.1m (tele)
|LCD monitor|| 2.8-inch TFT
|Connectivity|| USB 2.0 (full speed)
USB cradle terminal
|Storage|| SD/MMC compatible
8MB internal memory
|Power||Lithium-ion NP-40 battery|
|Weight (no batt)||139 g|
|Dimensions||92 x 58.4 x 22.4 mm|
Exclusive hands-on images