After several embarassing leaks Adobe have finally made the 6.0.1 update available on their support download page. I'm sure many of you use Photoshop 6.0 (well, we do here anyway) so an update will be of interest. There are several fixes and updates in this patch which is available for English language Windows and Mac versions.
The most significant fixes in the 6.0.1 release include:
- The painting tool brush picker has new usability improvements including:
- Enter brings up and dismisses the preset picker at the current mouse location
- Double-clicking a brush in the picker selects the brush and dismisses the picker
- The current brush is always highlighted in the preset picker
- The current brush indicator always displays the brush size
- The First Brush and Last Brush keyboard shortcuts (> and <) work regardless of whether the current brush exactly matches a preset brush
- Image clipping paths in EPS and TIFF files saved from Photoshop 6.0.1 have been modified so that software, such as QuarkXPress, is able to read them.
- ImageReady is able to save and preview animations under constrained memory conditions.
- There is no slow-down of performance when files in the Open Recent list are unavailable.
- Batch file naming works correctly.
- Export Paths to Illustrator retains path scaling.
- Using certain tools, such as the Move, Marquee, or Lasso tool, after using the Open, Save and Print commands no longer generates a Program Error dialog.
- Selecting a single color in Color Range now works correctly.
- Online help is accessible for more web browser configurations.
- New Japanese character map (CMap) files are included to resolve conflicts with ImageStyler 1.0 and PageMaker 6.5.2 Plus.
- Memory usage behavior is better on all Windows OSes; the network should no longer become unavailable when Photoshop is running.
- Showing and hiding edges for a selection no longer requires pressing Ctrl-H twice.
This update is only for the English version of Adobe Photoshop 6.0. If you have a localized language version of Adobe Photoshop 6.0, localized versions of the Photoshop 6.0.1 update will be available in the near future. Check the Adobe Web site at http://www.adobe.com for availability.
This updater will update only the retail version of Adobe Photoshop 6.0/ImageReady 3.0 software and not any pre-release (Beta) versions. To confirm that the updater has run successfully, launch Photoshop and verify that the version number on the splash screen shows 6.0.1 and not 6.0. You will need to look at the number in smaller type just below the image. If it does not show 6.0.1, you may not have a retail version. Please contact your local Adobe retailer or www.adobe.com <http://www.adobe.com/> to purchase one.
This update is also available on CD-ROM for $20.00 US plus shipping from Adobe Customer Service. In the United States and Canada, call 1-800-492-3623. Outside the United States and Canada, please contact Adobe Customer Support for your country for pricing and availability.
NOTE (thanks to Carol Steele)
Several users are getting errors generated whilst installing the update - to do with psicon.dll
If this has happened to you, reboot the computer, disable any antivirus software and then run the setup.exe file again.
Anybody who hasn't upgraded yest then first expand the file ps601up.exe to a suitable folder and then shut down the computer. Reboot it, disable any antivirus software and then run the setup.exe from the START->RUN command line.
There is also a glitch in IR3 in that the splash
screen will now read USERUSER followed by your name (minus the first 8
letters). This does not affect in any way the usabilty of the program.
Thanks to forums poster Jim C. for spotting this.
|I am an Elephant by Bibix|
from An A to Z of Subjects- Week 5, E
|Mossy forest panorama by Jill Hancock|
from Your point of view
|Ship Moon and Stars by LJJohnston|
from For creative newbies only..