Just what should we call mirrorless cameras? Ever since the launch of the Micro Four Thirds system, the photographic world has struggled to find a satisfactory generic term to describe similar systems. The current front-runners appear to be 'mirrorless' or 'compact system camera' but there's nothing like consensus yet. We've put some of the more common options and some alternatives we've had suggested to us, in a poll to see how you think of these cameras. It's a chance to have your voice heard, since we've had more than one camera maker ask us which name is most widely recognized. So have a look to the right of this story and register your vote.

Of course the option you'll notice missing from the list is: 'Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens.' The reasons for this are twofold - it's partly because it's extremely unlikely that manufacturers are going to embrace the acronym 'EVIL,' but also because it already fails to accurately describe several available models. While it's possible to argue that a rear display screen on a camera can be used as a viewfinder, it's uncommon for most people to describe it as such - and it's pretty difficult to get a new definition accepted by the general public if it requires them to re-think a definition they already understand. For those reasons, we consider EVIL to be a non-starter.

Have your say

What should we call mirrorless cameras?
  • Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera45.2%
  • Interchangeable Lens Compact18.6%
  • Compact System Camera16.7%
  • Micro System Camera8.2%
  • Single Lens Electronic7.8%
  • Digital Single Lens Micro3.6%
Total voters: 5,641