Pentax has recently announced the OptioS30. Featuring a 3.2 effective
megapixel CCD, a lens offering 3X optical zooming and with an attractive,
hairline-textured aluminum exterior, it's also strikingly stylish. All
buttons and controls have been located within easy reach from a ready-to-shoot
position. The shutter release button has been enlarged for swift access,
and buttons on the back of the camera have also been made bigger for easier
The OptioS30 - The ultra-compact digital with performance that's a class above.
A compact digital camera that places the key emphasis on cost performance,
PENTAX announces the OptioS30. Easy to handle for stress-free shooting,
it makes it easy to enjoy quality digital photography anywhere, at any
time. With a truly user-friendly design, it makes shooting in diverse
situations a breeze. And with an attractive, hairline-textured aluminum
exterior, it's also strikingly stylish.
The OptioS30 is surprisingly capable too. It features an array of easy-to-operate functions that assist in making sure the end results live up to expectations, is empowered with 3.2 effective megapixels, and also features a lens offering 3X optical zooming versatility that can be combined with 2.6X digital zoom for total 8X (approx.) zooming freedom.
Ultra-compact, sophisticated design
- The unique PENTAX Sliding Lens system contributes to the exceptionally compact dimensions.
- 89 (W) x 58.5 (H) x 25.5 (D) mm (excluding protruding controls) with weight of only 125g (excluding batteries and SD memory card).
- For convenience, the OptioS30 is also compatible with two AA batteries.
- It has attractive aluminum exterior with vertical and horizontal hairline
Super compact, super convenient, it slips easily into a pocket or bag, to go wherever you do.
3.2 effective megapixel clarity
- For images ranging from shots of colorful flowers to distant scenery, the imaging power of 3.2 effective megapixels helps ensure excellent clarity.
- The OptioS30 also has the built-in advantages of a primary color filter and advanced imaging technologies for further enhanced images with brighter, more natural tones.
Ultra-compact, 3X optical zoom lens
- The OptioS30 incorporates an smc PENTAX lens - one of a series renowned for their sheer superior quality.
- Comprised of 5 groups of 6 elements crafted entirely from glass and
featuring two lenses crafted to be aspherical on each side, it offers
3X optical zoom capability (a focal range covering angles of view equivalent
to those of a 38-114mm lens in 35mm format).
3X optical zoom can also be combined with 2.6X (approx.) digital zoom to offer total zooming capability of approximately 8X.
- All buttons and controls have been located within easy reach from a ready-to-shoot position.
- The shutter release button has been enlarged for swift access.
Buttons on the back of the camera have also been made bigger for easier control.
A handy mode dial is employed to allow virtually effortless selection from the impressive array of shooting modes.
- 4 frequently used functions can be selected from a choice of ten (recording size, image quality, exposure compensation, metering, white balance, sharpness, saturation, contrast, sensitivity and AF area).
- These can then be assigned to the left and right elements of the four-way controller for access when the dial position is set in modes other than Auto Select, Movie, and Voice recording.
9-position mode dial
- A handy mode dial positioned in the middle of the top surface.
- Simply set the dial to one of the nine modes described below and the OptioS30 takes care of all relevant settings automatically.
1. Auto select
Automatically activates Program mode for effortless, yet pleasing results.
From there, the OptioS30 also has the ability to evaluate the subject too, automatically activating Portrait, Landscape or Night Scene mode accordingly.
Auto select mode also features settings for frequently used shooting functions (recording image size and quality settings), which can be easily altered to suit user tastes.
Designed to capture skin tones in a more natural way.
Makes it easy to capture wide-open natural scenes.
4. Night scene
Captures a significant amount of detail while retaining the mood of shots taken in low light.
The OptioS30 even has the power to record video accompanied by the advantage of sound!
*Recorded movies can be viewed using ACDSee for PENTAX (on systems with QuickTimeTM installed).
6. Voice recording
Extremely useful in a wide range of situations, the OptioS30 is also capable of recording audio.
7. Digital effects
Offers a range of special digital effects for exciting creative results. (8 digital filters, a 2 in 1 effect, and Panorama Assist)
Leaves all settings to the camera for spur-of-the-moment photo opportunities.
Allows the user to choose one of 10 different settings to swiftly make the most of the situation at hand.
Help function in Auto Select mode
A useful Help function can be easily accessed when in both shooting and playback modes.
With the press of a button, the OptioS30 activates a display of easy-to-understand explanations for dial positions and buttons for both shooting and playback.
As a result, even the total beginner to get the hang of OptioS30 operation in a snap.
Simple shooting with 10 Picture modes
- In addition to the Portrait, Landscape, and Night scene modes placed directly on the mode dial, the OptioS30 also offers 10 picture modes.
- All you have to do is just select the icon most appropriate for the scene, compose, then shoot.
Designed to bring out the vivid colors and intricate details of flowers.
Delivers sharp results and flattering tones whenever you need to turn the camera around to take a shot of yourself.
Solves the common problems with reflections of light off water for pleasing, appropriate exposure throughout the frame.
Helps to maintain true colors and avoid the detrimental effects of excessive reflection off snow.
5. Sunset mode
Capture the warmth and romance of sunrise and sunset scenes.
Allows optimal exposure to be achieved while ensuring the flash doesn't fire.
Captures written material in a manner that maximizes legibility.
Conveys convincing texture, and communicate the real freshness of food.
9. Landscape Portrait
Clearly captures portraits along with the expansive scenery of the background.
Makes it easy to capture natural colors when shooting underwater. Soundless movies can also be shot underwater too.
* When the OptioS30 is housed within an optionally available waterproof case.
Digital effect modes
Without the need for a PC, the OptioS30 opens up a range of creative possibilities with a choice of 8 digital filters as well as, Panorama Assist, and 2 in 1 digital functions.
8 digital filters
B&W, sepia, red, green, blue, B&W with red, B&W with green, and B&W with blue digital filters let the user emphasize key colors of the original scene or add an entirely different mood.
2 in 1
Allows two different images to be recorded side by side in a single frame.
Following the camera's simple guidance, take a series of horizontal or
These can then easily be aligned and combined on a PC using the software provided to create one large image that captures expansive scenes in their entirety.
12 digital filters for shot images
The user can apply different moods to images that have been already shot using 12 filters (B&W, sepia, red, green, blue, B&W with red, B&W with green, B&W with blue, Soft, and 3 types of illustration effects).
Menu text information enlargement
The menu display can be easily enlarged with a press of the zoom button.
The OptioS30 supports PictBridge, a new direct-print standard released by the CIPA (Camera and Imaging Products Association). With this advantage, the OptioS30 can be connected directly to a printer that supports PictBridge via USB cable to offer control over printing, resizing, digital filters, and other functions - all without the need for a PC.
Other helpful features
- USB mass storage class compatibility
- Useful software included (a CD-ROM that features the ACDSee for PENTAX application)
- Built-in auto flash
- Convenient LCD monitor
- Optical viewfinder
- Nine-image and Zoom display
- Convenient self-timer
- Two optional remote control units
- Continuous shooting
- Macro mode and Infinity-landscape mode
- Manual focus
- Options for autofocus (spot & 5-point AF)
- White balance settings
- Histogram display
- 3 choices for metering
- Sensitivity settings
- Exposure compensation
- Settings for sharpness, saturation, and contrast
- Image protection
- Mode memory function
- World time function
- DPOF compatibility
- Approximately 11MB of built-in memory
- SD memory card compatibility
- Resize function
- Voice memo function
- AV (video/audio) output terminal
- Various power sources including common AA batteries
- Operation in 9 languages
- AC adapter
- Waterproof case (O-WP3) for shots underwater at depths of up to 40m (equivalent to JIS Class 8)
- Remote control E & remote control F
Pentax OptioS30 Specifications
|Effective Pixels||3.2 megapixels|
|Sensor||Total pixels 3.34 megapixels�|
|1/2.7 inch interline transfer CCD with a primary color filter|
|Color Depth||12- bit�|
2048 x 1536 pixels, 1600 x 1200 pixels, 1024 x 768 pixels, 640 x 480 pixels�
Movie 320 x 240 pixels
|Sensitivity||Auto, fixed (equivalent to ISO 50, 100, 200, 400)|
|File Formats||Still JPEG (Exif 2.2), DCF, DPOF, PRINT Image Matching
Movie AVI (Motion JPEG format), approx.30fps, with sound
Sound WAV (PCM), monaural�
|Quality Levels||★★★(Best), ★★(Better), ★(Good)|
|Storage Media||Built-in memory (approx. 11 MB), SD memory card|
|Lens||smc PENTAX power zoom 5.8mm-17.4mm (equivalent to 38mm-114mm in 35mm format) F2.6-F4.8, 6 elements in 5 groups (2 dual-sided aspherical elements)|
|Digital Zoom||1X - 2.6X|
|Focusing System|| Type TTL contrast detection autofocus system
Manual focus/Infinity-landscape mode available
Focusing Areas 5-point autofocus, spot autofocus
Autofocus Normal: 0.4m (1.31 ft ) to infinity
Macro: 0.18m (0.59 ft.) to 0.5m (1.64 ft.)
Super macro:� 0.06m (0.2 ft.) to 0.2m (0.65 ft.) at 10.2mm (equivalent to 61.5mm in 35mm format)
Manual Focus 0.06 m (0.2 ft.) to infinity
|Exposure Control|| Metering System TTL metering: Choice of Multi-segment
metering, Center-weighted metering, Spot metering
Auto Select, Portrait, Landscape, Night scene, Movie, Voice recording,
Digital Effect, Program, Picture
Picture Mode Flower, Self-portrait, Surf, Snow, Sunset, Museum, Text, Food, Landscape Portrait, Marine, Marine movie
Digital Filter Black and white, Sepia, Red, Green, Blue, B&W+red, B&W+green, B&W+blue, 2 in 1, Panorama assist
During play mode (Black and white, Sepia, Red, Green, Blue, B&W+red, B&W+green,�
B&W+blue, Soft, Illustration)
Exposure Compensation �2 EV (1/3 steps)
From approx. 1 sec. to memory card capacity.�
Color mode Full color
|Shutter||Programmed AE electronic lens shutter with CCD electronic
Shutter speed Approx. 1/2000 sec. to 4 sec.�
|Drive Modes||One shot, Continuous, Remote control, Self-timer|
|Flash||Built-in series-control auto flash. Automatic discharge
under low lighting conditions in auto modes.
Flash-on and Flash-off modes.� "Red-eye" reduction function also available.
Approx. 0.2m -2m (0.65 ft -6.6 ft) (17.4mm at Sensitivity 200)
|White Balance||Auto, Daylight, Shade, Tungsten light, Fluorescent light, Manual setting|
|Optical Viewfinder||Actual-image zoom viewfinder|
|LCD Monitor||1.6 inch, TFT color LCD (Approx. 85,000 pixels)|
|Time||World Time Displays the time in 62 cities (28 time zones)|
|Language||English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Chinese (Traditional/Simplified), Korean, Japanese|
|PictBridge||Print mode Single image print, All images print, DPOF auto print|
|Interfaces||AV output terminal, USB terminal, DC input terminal|
|Video Output||Compatible with NTSC and PAL formats (monaural sound)|
Lithium battery CR-V3(allows approximately500 shots to be taken*) , two
(lithium, alkaline, nickel-manganese and rechargeable Ni-MH).
Optional AC adapter also available.�
|Dimensions||89(W) x 58.5(H) x 25.5(D)mm� (3.5 x 2.3 x 1 inches) (excluding protrusions)|
|Weight||175g (6.2 oz.) loaded and ready|
|125g (4.4 oz.)without battery and SD memory card|
|* According to the result of in-house testing (with LCD monitor on and flash used for 50% of the shots).|
|In the Big Girl Chair by BryanKing|
from Baby Photography
|Ruby Red Dress by cjf2|
from High key portrait with RED
|Follow me home by eaa|
from Shades of Blue in Nature