Pre-PMA 2007: Next we have the 7-megapixel Optio W30 digital camera, successor to the popular W20. THe new A30 is capable of shooting to depths of 3 meters continuously for 2 hours (compared to the W20 at just 1.5m for 30mins). It also increases sensitivity to ISO 3200.
PENTAX Optio W30
A compact digital camera with an enhanced waterproof function, making it possible to photograph underwater at depths of 3 meters continuously for 2 hours
PENTAX Corporation is pleased to announce the launch of the new PENTAX Optio W30, a compact digital camera designed to be dustproof/waterproof. The waterproof function has been further enhanced so that it is possible to photograph underwater at depths of 3 meters continuously for 2 hours.
1. Enhanced waterproof function The waterproofing capabilities of the internal construction of the camera and of the front and back covers, made from the metal used for the exterior, were further improved to make the Optio W30 capable of being used to photograph underwater at depths of 3 meters continuously for 2 hours（in the conventional model, underwater photography was possible at depths of only 1.5 meters for a period of 30 minutes). The protective glass is treated with SP (Super Protect) coating, developed exclusively by PENTAX, and is superior in water-repellency, making it hard for water droplets to attach to the surface. In addition to high waterproofing capabilities that are compliant with the JIS Class 8 waterproof standard, the Optio W30 is also equipped with dustproofing capabilities against sand and dust (JIS Class 5 dustproof standard), making it able for you to use the camera outdoors, such as for skiing, marine sports, and fishing, as well as for gardening and cooking, without having to worry about water and dirt.
2. New LCD monitor that is bright and easily viewable The Optio W30 is equipped with a high-intensity 2.5-inch LCD monitor with an LCD Bright Mode that can adjust the brightness of the screen as necessary, making it easy to view the screen even outdoors, where there is strong sunlight. AR (Anti-Reflection) coating, which controls and reduces reflections caused by light, is also used for the monitor, making the screen be even more visible outdoors.
3. Digital SR (Shake Reduction) mode that reduces camera shakes and blurring of the subject when photographing still images. The sensitivity is adjusted automatically, to as high as the ultrahigh sensitivity of ISO 3200, to match the brightness of the subject. This enables for photography with fast shutter speeds, and images with less blurs can be obtained.
4. High-quality movies with Shake reduction function The Optio W30 captures smooth, high-quality movies at 30 fps (frames per second) at a resolution of 640 x 480 pixles, which is comparable to movies taken with a camcorder. It is also equipped with the “Movie SR (Shake Reduction)” function*1, which automatically corrects camera shakes, and the “Interval shooting” mode that records images recorded during each specified time interval as a movie, allowing for movies to be taken more easily and without hassles.
*1 Using the “Movie SR" function results in a narrower field of view than that during normal video recording.
5. “Face Recognition Priority AF & AE” function that is convenient when photographing people The Optio W30 is equipped with a “Face Recognition Priority AF & AE” function*2 that automatically detects and focuses on faces, regardless of where the people appear in the photo frame. In addition, optimal exposure settings are automatically conducted so that the areas with faces are not darkened even if there is backlighting.
*2 Available when the shooting mode is “Portrait” and the camera is directed at people from the front.
6. Macro photography as near as 1 cm The Optio W30 can be used as close as one centimeter away from a subject for stunning close-up photography. Macro photography provides many fun photo options because you can fill the photo frame with subjects like flowers, insects, or jewelry.
7. Auto Picture mode automatically determines the best settings for the shooting conditions The Auto Picture mode lets the camera automatically determine the shooting conditions for Landscape, Portrait, Night Scene, and Program modes and choose the optimum settings for each subject. This PENTAX original function makes photography a lot easier for users since it eliminates the necessity of making a number of individual settings.
8. 3X optical zoom lens and 7.1 effective megapixels deliver outstanding pictures The Optio W30 includes a 3X optical zoom lens that covers focal lengths from 6.3 to 18.9 mm (equivalent to 38 to 114 mm for 35mm film) and features a refraction lens system so the lens never protrudes from the camera while zooming. And by harnessing the full power of the 7.1 effective megapixels, the Optio W30 produces extremely high-quality prints with crisp detail even when the photo is greatly enlarged.
9. Other Features
- New auto-lock mechanism that automatically locks covers, such as the battery cover, after they are closed.
- Auto-tracking AF continuously focusing on a moving subject
- Compatible with new SDHC memory cards, in addition to conventional SD memory cards
- Mode Palette provides quick access to 25 shooting modes and 15 playback modes
- Image Recovery function lets you retrieve accidentally erased pictures
- Soft flash function avoids overexposure during close-up flash photography
- Digital zooming provides up to 4X magnification
- Digital Filter function that lets you enjoy editing photographed images
- FotoNation’s red-eye correction function for correcting red eye after shooting, which occurs easily when photographing with flash
- Approximately 21.9 MB of built-in memory
- Includes the ACDSee for PENTAX image viewer/image management software
- Supports PictBridge, DPOF functions, Exif Print, and PRINT Image Matching III
1/2.5 " Type CCD
|Image sizes|| 3072 x 2304
2592 x 1944
2304 x 1728
2048 x 1536
1600 x 1200
640 x 480
|Movie clips|| 640 x 480 @ 15 / 30fps
320 x 240 @ 15 / 30fps
|File formats|| JPEG Exif 2.2
PRINT Image Matching III
QuickTime Motion JPEG
|Lens|| 38-114mm (35mm equiv)
3x optical zoom
|Digital zoom||up to 4x|
|Focus||TTL contrast detection auto focus system|
|AF area modes|| 9-point AF
Auto tracking AF changeable
|AF assist lamp||n/a|
|Focus distance|| Normal: 0.4m - infinity (whole zoom area) 0.5m - infinity (tele)
Macro: 0.01 - 0.6m (wide)
Pan Focus: 1.5m - infinity (wide) 5.0m - infinity (tele)
Manual Focus: 0.01m - infinity (wide) 0.5m - infinity (other than wide)
|Metering|| TTL metering
|ISO sensitivity|| Auto
|Exposure compensation||+/- 2EV in 1/3EV steps|
|Shuttter speed||1/2000 - 4sec|
|Scene modes|| AUTO Picture
Surf & Snow
Synchronous Sound Record
Natural skin tone
|White balance|| Auto
|Self timer||10 or 2 sec|
|Image parameters||Digital Filter: B&W, Sepia, Color Filter (6 colors), Color extract (B&W with Red, B&W with Green, B&W with Blue), Soft|
|Flash|| Built-in series-control auto flash
Flash On / Off
Range: 0.2 - 3.6m (wide) 0.5 - 3.0m (tele)
|LCD monitor|| 2.5-inch TFT
NTSC / PAL
|Storage|| SD / SDHC card compatible
21.9 MB internal memory
|Power|| Rechargeable D-L163 Lithium-ion battery
Optional AC adapter kit
|Weight (no batt)||140 g|
|Dimensions||107.5 x 54 x 23.5 mm|
|Douaumont Ossuary by Eric 54-BNF|
from Armistice Day
|Silhouette at sunset by Jill Hancock|
from Portrait Lens (around 80mm or equivalent - please check the full rules)
As the saying goes: A photo is worth a thousand words. And if you're sending that photo through Facebook Messenger, your thousand words now look twice as nice after today's update to 4K resolution.
Get to know the new Leica CL in short order by giving our 90 second 'First look' video a watch.
Despite reports to the contrary, analysis of DPReview images by our friend Jim Kasson confirms a disappointing fact: The Sony a7R III is still a Star Eater.
Leica has just released the CL, the forth in its series of APS-C L-mount cameras. Despite sharing a name with a camera released in the mid-70s, the new CL is a thoroughly modern ILC, with a 24MP sensor and built-in electronic viewfinder.
The Leica CL is a 24MP rangefinder-style mirrorless camera, which sits alongside the TL2 in the company's APS-C lineup. We've been using one for a few days – check out our gallery of images.
While it shares a name with one of Leica's most popular and affordable cameras of the 1970s, the new CL is separated from its namesake by more than just years. We've been using one for a few days - click through for a detailed first-impressions report.
We're counting down our top 10 most popular sample galleries of 2017, and the #4 ranking goes to the Leica M10.
Sigma is discounting 13 different high-performance 'Art' series lenses from today until November 30th. The company is calling it an 'unprecedented' sale.
See DJI's 'AeroScope' drone-tracking technology in action. This is the system that DJI says can help law enforcement and airport (among others) track and identify rogue drones.
iPhone X owners can already accessorize their new phone with high-quality smartphone photography lenses courtesy of Moment's new lineup.
Considering buying Sigma's exciting new 16mm F1.4 DC DN Contemporary lens for crop-sensor E-Mount and M43? Check out these official full-res samples first!
Vimeo has just added support for 8K HDR 10-bit content, making it possible to show up to 75% of the colors the human eye can perceive vs the usual 35%. Take THAT YouTube.
The holidays are coming, but your gear isn't cutting it? It's time to treat yourself!
We're counting down our top 10 most popular sample galleries of 2017, and sitting pretty at #5 is the Fujifilm X-T20.
See some of the most iconic black-and-white photographs throughout history brought to life by a community of colorization enthusiasts and professional retouchers in the new book Retrographic.
Shopping for a photographer? Whether you are one yourself or not, chances are you could use some ideas. From stocking stuffers on up, we've got some photography gift suggestions for every budget.
We're counting down our top 10 most popular sample galleries of 2017. Drum roll please... the #6 spot belongs to none other than the Sigma 85mm F1.4 DH HSM Art.
Read the story behind this gorgeous wedding photo captured at Trolltunga in Norway by husband and wife duo Priscila Valentina Photography. The 14 hour hike in the rain that preceded this shot was TOTALLY worth it.
Go behind the scenes with filmmaker Nick Arcivos, who recently created a beautiful cinematic short film in Paris using only the iPhone X, a couple of gimbals, and a few lights. The results are very impressive.
A Bay Area startup offering a pay-by-the-photo camera service cleverly addresses the pain points photographers experience when they pick up their first DSLR. But can it survive the smartphone?
It's been a big year for software innovations, dual cameras and huge displays. Take a look at our picks for the top smartphone cameras and why we think they stand out.
We're counting down our top 10 most popular sample galleries of 2017. At the #7 spot is the ready-for-any-weather Olympus Tough TG-5.
By combining his skills as a time-lapse filmmaker and an engineer, Julian Tryba created this out-of-this-world creative 'layer-lapse' of New York City that alternates between night and day in time with the music.
Canon Japan's new lineup of novelty camera-themed gifts was just revealed online, including a lens mug and lens thermos, two retro camera-themed USB drives, and a picnic mat.
The Profoto A1 most certainly isn’t for everyone [...] But for those who are used to using the Profoto systems, and want something that pairs seamlessly with the strobes you already have, there is no better companion.
Fujifilm has asked a US district court to clear it of any wrongdoing, after allegedly being threatened with trademark litigation by Polaroid.
While a couple of our reviewers are out testing the Sony a7R III in Arizona, back in Seattle we slapped the camera in front of our studio scene to get a close look at its image quality. See how it stacks up against the competition.
We're counting down our top 10 most popular sample galleries of 2017, and the #8 ranking belongs to the Nikon D7500.
B+W has announced a new aluminum filter holder that offers three slots so users can use multiple filters at the same time. The holder goes with the 2mm thick 100mm square filters it launched earlier this year.
8K video is coming a lot faster than you think, and Blackmagic is ready for it. Meet the DeckLink 8K Pro, a new high performance PCI-E capture and playback card built to handle 'real time high resolution 8K workflows.'