Fujifilm S100FS: new flagship
Pre PMA 2008: Today is the day Fujifilm has chosen to reveal the new models it is launching at the PMA show next week. There's 7 models in total, but the most intersting is undoubtedly the FinePix S100FS, which the company is describing as its most advanced consumer digital camera to date and its latest attempt to offer a viable DSLR alternative. Headline features include a large 2/3 inch 11 megapixel Super CCD sensor, all-new optically-stabilized 14.3x (28-400mm) manual zoom lens and a version of the 100-400% wide dynamic range and film simulation (hence 'FS') options seen on the FinePix S5 Pro SLR.
Simon: Note that the extra dynamic range is not achieved through the double-pixel method the S5 Pro's sensor uses (this is a Super CCD 'HR' sensor). From what we can glean from Fuji so far the dynamic range enhancement is possible thanks to improved sensitivity and a new version of the Real Photo processor. Either way - on paper at least - this is one of the more promising cameras we've seen thus far in the build up to PMA, and we'll be interested to see how it performs in the real world; noise and the lack of dynamic range are the two most common issues facing current small-sensor models.
Fujifilm unveils its most advanced consumer digital camera to date: The FinePix S100FS
Groundbreaking model offers DSLR control and advanced functionality with 14.3x zoom, expanded dynamic range and film simulation modes
Fujifilm UK today unveiled the FinePix S100FS (Film Simulation) digital camera, its most advanced SLR-styled camera to date. The FinePix S100FS provides an all-in-one solution for photo enthusiasts and advanced amateur photographers seeking the manual controls and functionality of a Digital-SLR without the bulk, hassle and expense of additional lenses and other accessories.
The FinePix S100FS is equipped with a 14.3x Fujinon manual zoom lens, Fujifilm’s 8th generation 2/3” Super CCD sensor with 11 Megapixels, third generation RP III processor, 2.5” tiltable LCD and ISO capabilities of up to ISO 6400 (at 6 MP) and an incredible ISO 10,000 at 3 Megapixels.
Photographers will appreciate the ease of use and shooting versatility offered by the Optical Image Stabilisation system, and Fujifilm’s acclaimed Face Detection 2.0 Technology with automatic red-eye removal, while enjoying a wide dynamic range of 100-400% that’s previously only been available to users of the highest-end D-SLR cameras, and film simulation modes that only Fujifilm can provide.
One-of-a-kind lens design for a one-of-a-kind camera
The FinePix S100FS represents the cutting edge of Fujifilm’s imaging technology innovation, and redefines what users can expect from a compact digital camera. Through a unique collaboration between Fujifilm and Fujinon R&D engineers, the development team approached the process of designing this unique camera as a single project, creating the lens and CCD for express function as a single unit.
This design allows the ultra-high precision Fujinon lens to achieve maximum resolution at all focal lengths of 28mm-400mm equivalent and maximum aperture of a bright F2.8 (wide angle) to F5.3 (telephoto). Because of the composite body and lens structure, there is no penetration of dirt and dust onto the CCD and the lens is perfectly matched to the sensor and perfectly aligned for the best possible results. The mechanical zoom offers framing with fingertip precision as well as offering a user experience that closely matches the use of a high end digital SLR.
A feature set borrowed from the FinePix S5 Pro
In the FinePix S100FS Fujifilm’s engineers have incorporated some of the features from the award-winning FinePix S5 Pro D-SLR that have been most appreciated by professional photographers, including film simulation modes and settings that expand the camera’s dynamic range. The FinePix S100FS has an extended dynamic range (100%, 200%, 400%) similar to that of negative film thanks to the newly developed low-noise 2/3-inch 11.1 Megapixel Super CCD VIII HR and the new RP Processor III.
This unique technology preserves subtle highlights and shadow tones and prevents harsh clipping whatever the subject. Fujifilm’s unique Film Simulation modes (FS) allow photographers to select the ideal “film” mode for the scene with a choice of four modes that optimise for portraiture, low-contrast (soft), vibrant colours (Velvia), or general use (Provia). Only Fujifilm has developed its camera technology from its photographic heritage in film, which allows the FinePix S100FS to capture subtle changes in tone and colour reproduction and provide the photographer the widest latitude for the ultimate creative expression.
Face Detection 2.0 with automatic red-eye removal
Fujifilm’s proprietary Face Detection 2.0, featuring automatic red-eye removal was first seen on the award-winning FinePix F50fd. This one-touch selectable mode enables cameras such as the FinePix S100FS to detect up to 10 human faces in a scene, correcting focus, exposure and white balance automatically as fast as 0.05 seconds to ensure that photos of human faces are clear and properly exposed, no matter where subjects are located within the frame.
Fujifilm’s Face Detection 2.0 has an advantage over the other face detection systems currently on the market because it can identify faces at extreme angles – even in full profile. The system allows for up to a 90 O movement in either direction for profiles and up to 135 O for leaning or lying down in either direction, for a total range of 270°.
The automatic intelligent red-eye removal feature works in conjunction with Fujifilm’s Face Detection 2.0, automatically correcting red eye directly after the shot is taken and then saving both the original image and the corrected file. The user can then perform a side-by-side picture comparison in playback mode and select the best image.
Other key features found on the FinePix S100FS include:
- Dual Image Stabilisation: The FinePix S100FS features Fujifilm’s Dual Image Stabilisation technology to ensure clean, sharp and blur-free images, even in low-light conditions. This combines image stabilisation through a mechanically stabilised “floating” lens element to reduce blur from the photographer’s hand-shake, with Fujifilm’s Picture Stabilisation Technology, to reduce blur caused by subject movement, for the ultimate in stabilisation technology
- Multi-Bracketing function: The FinePix S100FS has three bracketing functions useful for high level photography: Film Simulation Bracketing, Dynamic Range Bracketing and AE Bracketing
- Comprehensive photographic controls: Including Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority exposure modes
- High-speed shooting: Reliable high-speed performance is possible through Fujifilm’s newly developed Super CCD VIII HR and the new RP (real photo) III Processor. At 3 Megapixels, a maximum of 50 continuous shots at 7 frames/second is possible. In addition, 14 scene settings and customer settings can be selected, as can four auto-focus modes offer convenient high-speed, high-precision shooting and focusing for a diverse range of conditions
- Image formats: Capture images in both JPEG and RAW format
- Movie Mode: Movie mode with sound at 30 frames per second in VGA quality, and zoom capable with manual zoom ring while in movie mode
- xD/SD/SD-HC compatible slot: The FinePix S100FS features an xD/SD compatible slot which accepts not only Fujifilm’s traditional xD-Picture cards but also Secure Digital (SD) and SD-High Capacity/SD-HC cards too
- 2.5” tiltable LCD: The FinePix S100FS features a tilting 2.5” LCD that makes it easy to frame shots from a variety of shooting positions
Real Photo Technology
The secret to the FinePix S100FS’s class-leading image quality is Fujifilm's unique Real Photo Technology (RPT). The guiding principles behind RPT are simple; to set the highest possible standards for overall image quality, to expand digital photography opportunities and to give users fewer wasted shots.
RPT is an umbrella term for the combination of cutting edge technologies such as the Super CCD sensor, Real Photo Processor and Fujinon lens, all optimised to work together to produce the most natural, beautiful results in any conditions. As one of the largest imaging companies worldwide, Fujifilm is in a position to develop and to manufacture these components themselves, and it is this control over the design of the entire system that makes RPT so powerful.
Real Photo Technology cameras are designed from the ground up to capture 'real' photographs with stunning quality - giving users the power to capture the moment exactly as the eye sees it, no matter how challenging the shooting conditions.
With the human eye as the ideal, RPT continues to evolve and to set even higher standards for digital photography.
Adrian Clarke, Fujifilm's Director of Digital Products, said: "The FinePix S100FS is an important and exciting new ‘flagship’ compact for Fujifilm, designed from first principles for superb performance and offering cutting-edge technology and genuine innovation. For the consumer wanting the quality and versatility of an SLR without the weight, cost or bulk of extra lenses, we think the FinePix S100FS represents the most accomplished ‘prosumer’ model on the market.”
2/3-inch Super CCD HR
• 3,840 x 2,880
|Movie clips||• 640 x 480 pixels, 320 x 240 pixels, 30 frames/sec. with mono sound
• AVI (Motion JPEG )
• With Electronic Image Stabilization
*Zoom function cannot be used during movie recording
|File formats||• JPEG
• Uncompressed CCD-RAW (RAF format)
• Fujinon 14.3 X Optical zoom lens , F2.8 (W) - F5.3 (T)
|Digital zoom||Approx. 2.0x|
• Auto Focus (single and continuous)
|AF area modes||
|AF assist lamp||Yes|
|Metering||TTL 256-zones metering|
( **ISO 6400: 6MP or lower, ISO10000: 3MP or lower (number of recorded pixels)
|Exposure bracketing||±1/3 EV, ±2/3 EV, ±1EV|
|Shuttter speed||• AUTO mode: 1/4 sec to 1/4000 sec
• All other mode: 30 sec. to 1/2000 sec
• Bulb (up to 30 sec)
|Aperture||• F 2.8 -F 11 (W), F 5.3 -F 11 (T)
• max 13 steps in 1/3 EV increment
|Modes||• Programmed AE
• Aperture Priority AE
• Shutter Priority AE
• Mode dial: Auto, FSB, SP1, SP2, C1, C2, P, A, S, M, Movie
|White balance||Automatic scene recognition Preset (Fine, Shade, Fluorescent light (Daylight), Fluorescent light (Warm White), Fluorescent light (Cool White), Incandescent light, Custom|
|White balance fine tune||No|
|Self timer||Approx. 10 sec./ 2 sec. delay|
• Top-7: ( max3 frames/sec), (CCD-RAW: Top-3)
• Built-in pop-up flash
• Flash modes : Red-eye removal OFF: Auto, Forced Flash, Suppressed Flash, Slow Synchro. Red-eye removal ON: Auto, Red-eye Reduction Auto, Red-eye Reduction & Forced Flash, Suppressed Flash, Red-eye Reduction & Slow Synchro
|Viewfinder||• Electronic Viewfinder
• details tba
• USB 2.0 High Speed
|Print compliance||• DPOF|
|Storage|| Internal memory (Approx. 25 MB)
• xD-Picture cardTM (16MB-2GB)
• SD memory card / SDHC memory card
|Power|| NP-140 Li-ion battery(included)
• AC power adapter AC-84V (sold separately)
|Weight (no batt)||Approx 918g/32.4 oz|
|Dimensions||133.4(W)×93.6(H)×150.4(D) mm / 5.3(W)× 3.7(H)× 5.9(D) in|
*Specifications subject to change
Apr 28, 2008
Apr 28, 2008
Jan 6, 2011
Jan 5, 2011
|AT-6 Harvard by jarud|
from Trainer aircraft
|Monarch butterflies winter roost at Pismo Beach by cjf2|
from Safety in Numbers (Nature)