Conclusion - Pros
- Size, weight
- Fairly good image quality, spoilt by noise in shadow areas, images look much better reduced down in size
- Build quality, metallic case, sliding lens cover
- Fast operation, no waiting around...
- Movie clips with audio
- Usable macro mode
- Gadget factor (yes, it plays MP3's)
- Wired remote control for taking photos as well as audio control
- Excellent batteries, good audio battery performance, average photo battery performance
- Supplied carrying pouch
- Good supplied software (EXIF Viewer, Audio downloader etc.)
Conclusion - Cons
- Noise in shadow areas (becoming a SuperCCD trait)
- No image preview in record mode
- Barrel distortion (slight, but it's still there)
- MP3 player doesn't support bit rates higher than 128Kbit/s
- MP3: No track name display on remote control
- Poor quality supplied earphones
- 8/16 MB SmartMedia is simply not enough for images & audio
- Price.. Consider the competition at this price
Here's my rating of the Fujifilm Finepix 40i: (2 megapixel, fixed lens, multifunction class)
|Detail||Rating (out of 10)|
|Lens / CCD combination||6|
|Ease of use||8|
|Value for money||6|
Lukewarm... I'm really not sure who's the target market for this product (Japan?). It's a package of compromises, great build quality with some neat touches yet average image quality, fixed lens, lack of support for MP3 > 128 Kbit/s.. And I'm not sure what you're going to do with the 8 MB card that's bundled with the camera (apart from get just 2 MP3 tracks on it), most users will HAVE to purchase a 64 MB card on top.. Putting the price of an already expensive gadget right through the roof.
It's a fun item and it's definitely got the gadget factor, I can imagine kids traveling to a party listening to music on the tube then using it to take party snaps when they get there... But I can't really picture another market for it. It really makes sense when you look at the technology, CPU, batteries, storage medium, portability - all things which both sides of the product share yet neither side excels...
So which one should I buy? A question I get asked several times a day, and I wouldn't like to say. In a new addition to my reviews (after the amount of feedback I normally get) I've added a link to a specific forum in which you can discuss the review or ask me specific questions which I've not answered in these pages.