Canon EOS 500D (Digital Rebel T1i / Kiss X3 Digital) Review
Raw and Raw Conversion
The EOS 500D is provided with the 'Canon EOS Solutions Disk' which includes:
- Canon ZoomBrowser EX 6.3 - Easy to use image browsing and organization with a unique interface. Includes rudimentary image editing, printing and e-mail. This latest version of the software also provides some very basic video editing. - Windows only.
- Canon EOS Utility 2.6 - Automatic or Manual transfer of images via WIA, also allows for the adjustment of camera settings and remote 'tethered' shooting. *
- Canon EOS 50D PTP/WIA driver - Windows only.
- Canon PhotoStitch 3.1 - Panorama stitching utility.
- Canon Digital Photo Professional 3.6 - Advanced image workflow and editing, specialized in RAW conversion with a range of adjustment and output options. *
- Picture Style Editor 1.5 - Create custom Picture Styles. *
* Universal Binaries (Intel / PowerPC) for Mac OS X.
Digital Photo Professional is an image workflow and RAW conversion application that provides for the browsing and management of images in a folder structure as well as tagging, rotation etc. In addition it also provides an extensive range of RAW conversion features which include digital exposure compensation, white balance, tone curve, color, picture style, sharpness and lens correction parameters.
In addition you can access a number of different tools from the tools menu. The Quick Check tool allows you to browse through a selection of images and assign check marks to them. The Trimming tool can be used to apply a crop to an image (the image itself is not modified, this is simply saved in the recipe).
The Stamp tool works in a similar way to the clone stamp or healing brush in Photoshop (although is primary designed for the removal of light or dark blotches).The Rename tool can be used to change the filename of a selection of images based on a rule set. Finally you can convert multiple RAW files at a time using the batch conversion tool.
As is normal in our digital SLR reviews we like to compare the supplied RAW conversion software, any optional manufacturer RAW conversion software and some third party RAW converter. In the case of the EOS 500D we used the supplied Digital Photo Professional and Adobe Camera RAW 5.4 Beta.
- JPEG - Large/Fine, Default settings
- DPP - Digital Photo Professional 18.104.22.168
- ACR - Adobe Camera RAW 5.4 Beta
Place your mouse over the label below the image to see the color from a GretagMacbeth ColorChecker chart produced using each RAW converter. As we would expect there is no difference between JPEG from the camera and Digital Photo Professional. Adobe Camera RAW's default settings take a slightly more conservative approach to color response and has a less contrasty tone curve.
|Canon EOS 500D||Compare to:|
Sharpness and Detail
Both RAW converters DPP and ACR visibly improve the image detail compared to the out-of-camera JPEG and produce near identical levels of detail.
|JPEG out of camera , High quality setting (all settings default)
ISO 100 studio scene 100% crop
|Adobe ACR RAW -> TIFF (Default settings, manual WB)
ISO 100 studio scene 100% crops
|DPP RAW -> TIFF (Default settings, manual WB)
ISO 100 studio scene 100% crops
These crops demonstrate that some more detail is available from Digital Photo Professional and Adobe Camera RAW conversion of RAW files than can be obtained from JPEG. However, it's not an awful lot and most of this detail could be described as 'false' (produced beyond Nyquist), although frankly the majority of the time this is useful as it improves the appearance of 'texture'.
|JPEG from camera||Adobe Camera RAW (RAW)|
|Digital Photo Professional (RAW)|
Real world advantages
What we've seen above on the test charts of course also works on real life shots. Some careful sharpening in the RAW conversion will generate visibly more detail than can be seen in the JPG image. The difference is not enormous though. The 500D's JPEG engine is doing a pretty decent job and squeezes a lot of the available detail out of the RAW data.
|JPEG from Camera
(Sharpening 47, radius 1.0, detail 53)
RAW files for download
As is normal in our digital SLR reviews we like to compare the supplied RAW conversion software, any optional manufacturer RAW conversion software and some third party RAW converter. In the case of the EOS 500D we used the supplied Digital Photo Professional as well as Adobe Camera RAW 5.4 Beta.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Specifications
- 3 What's new
- 4 Body & Design
- 5 Body & Design
- 6 Body & Design
- 7 Operation & Controls
- 8 Operation & Controls
- 9 Operation (Live View)
- 10 Displays
- 11 Menus
- 12 Menus
- 13 Performance
- 14 Photographic tests (RAW)
- 15 Photographic tests (Noise)
- 16 Photographic tests (Noise)
- 17 Photographic tests (DR)
- 18 Photographic tests
- 19 Movie Mode
- 20 Compared to
- 21 Compared to (JPEG)
- 22 Compared to (JPEG)
- 23 Compared to (JPEG)
- 24 Compared to (RAW)
- 25 Compared to (RAW)
- 26 Compared to (Higher ISO)
- 27 Compared to (Resolution)
- 28 Compared to (Resolution)
- 29 Conclusion
- 30 Samples