PIX 2015

Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS

Announced Aug 24, 2011 •
Telephoto prime lens | Sony E (NEX) | SEL-50F18

I like to take candid street shots, and grab detail shots of urban things. The 50 is great for this as the 75 equiv allows you to easily isolate from backgrounds. having shot a lot with legacy 50 1.7 - 2.0 primes I can easily say that this lens beats them all wide open, especially in the corners. At a very reasonable price, the only downside on this lens is lack of AF speed.

antoxa

Again I am new user of a6000 and had a great chance to buy this lense 50 eur lower price (not used) So till now I had a chence only for one night shot from hands - and it was really good.. Portraits on day light - excelent! Bokeh - amazing!! Next challenge: night street shots, inside shows/concert, inside portraits

DtEW

Brief assessment: As strange as a large-ish 50 for an APS-C system might be regarded, the SEL50F18 is a unique lens that, IMO, justifies the existence of the E-mount. The 75mm (FF equiv) FoV is sufficient for portraiture if you are comfortable doing that on the shorter end of the typical portraiture continuum (85-135mm), but where it shines is toward a similar end in indoor candid portraiture, where you typically have more freedom in taking a half-step closer to frame, than moving farther ...

I admit, I would have preferred it somewhat shorter, like 60mm equivalent, but thats just my own quirky preference, Sony has good reason to stick to the "proper" length when making a portrait lens. The bokeh doesn't seem to have any particular character, looks similar to a gaussian blur, which maybe a good thing for most users. I admit to liking some of the more outlandish bokeh effects of certain older Olympus lenses, but thats subjective, sometimes borders on impressionist rendering. I did ...