PIX 2015

Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM

Announced Aug 24, 2011 •
Zoom lens | Sony/Minolta Alpha | SAL-1650
ratboy2008

Definitely sharp in the center but the edge and corner performance leave it lagging behind the Tamon 17-50/2.8. In terms of speed of focus it's difficult to tell if SSM is faster than gold old screw drive on my A77 II. In terms of bokeh, it's less harsh than the Tamron. It's definitely more resistant to flare and of course you get weather resistance (whatever that means) and an extra mm at the wide end.

efeibush

I'm not sure if it's the fault of the lens or the camera but I just spent  about two weeks in Alaska with my Sony SLTa77 and kit lens, the 16-50mm F2.8 Sony lens. I'm sorry to report but my images from this camera and lens were not up to my standard. I guess I should have read some of the professional reviews of this lens before embarking on this trip. Almost all of my images were soft at infinity and elsewhere. Some of the closeups were fairly sharp. Apparently certain focal lengths and ...

doracapi

Sharp,well built,heavy,fast,good AF,little distortion on 16 mm,little soft on 50mm,one of the best lenses for STL with APS C sensors.I love this lens.Good for landscape and travel.

This is a great lens for photography, and perhaps an even better lens for video. It is parfocal-- it remains in focus as it zooms, and likewise the focal length does not change when focusing. It is also f/2.8 throughout the focal range, which makes it a great indoor lens. The bokeh is difficult to describe. Sometimes (rarely) it is excellent, and other times (rarely) it is harsh. I can't tell in advance which bokeh flavor I will get, but most of time it is at least "pretty good." I have ...

I wanted to share a review I did on my new SAL1650, the Sony 16-50mm f/2.8 lens. I shoot on a Sony NEX-FS100 Check-out the link for video comparing the SAL1650 to the Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70 f/2.8 and the Konica Minolta 28-70 f/2.8. http://www.shawnlam.ca/2011/sony-sal1650-on-nex-fs100/ A few quick pros: Parfocal Evenly dampened rings Great for video Fast constant aperture Problems: Barrel extends when you zoom Not full frame (doesn't matter to me but is a considerations for some)