Sony Mavica FD-85

Announced Feb 3, 2000 •
Geo Mc

The perfect all-around camera for beginners and pros. I've had my FD-85 almost 2 years now and use it mostly for eBay photos as well as all other general photography. After using my work pard's FD-73 to shoot a wedding, I knew I wanted a Mavica. It's just about perfect. It replaced a Kodak DC-20 which was a total POS. Using the 3.5 floppies saves a lot of money over the expensive memory sticks. There's no conversion routine - the pics are saved as .jpgs on a floppy. I pull them into Paint ...

I've had my FD85 for over a year now. It has worked without problem from day one and I've taken over 2000 pictures with it so far. Occasionally the jpeg compression will create some noise in the picture details but the vast majority of my pictures have come out very crisp. My next camera will most likely be another mavica, maybe with a more powerful zoom and a built in memory stick option (fd92??). Since this model is now discontinued I thought I'd comment in case someone finds one used or ...

Bought used Nov. 01. First camera. Taken 500 + pictures. Friends do not believe me when I tell them I took picture and printed it out on my computer. Have made several slide shows in MS Powerpoint turned out great. Have made several albums and gave them to Family. This camera is "GREAT". It is very satisfying to take your picture, view it immediately with camera, view it on TV, view it on computer, edit on computer and print it and have a very high quality photo immediatly. Never had so much ...

I bought this camera as a refurbished model for only $229, although I saw it the same day new for $799. I am a DJ, and have found this camera to be everything I need and more ... in fact, since I only take 1 min videos at my events, it has even replaced my camcorder, and saved me the trouble of lugging extra bags. As has been said earlier, the shutter > disc rate is quite slow, but if you need that much speed, you didn't buy this camera anyway. Problems: None

it is the best digital camera i haver ever seen...(he,he..). Image quality 12xx * 9** is good. I love writte images to disks 3 1/2. I have experience of diverse periphericals: cables, drivers... I don't like at all, but you forget it with this wonderful camara. Problems: bigger than other...maybe digital ixus 300

I work for a large chain of Cleveland-area weekly newspapers and have used the Mavica FD85 to snap news and feature photos. Reproduced in the papers in black and white, they have been almost indistinguishable from those taken by our pro shooter using much more expensive digital equipment. Problems: Floppy disc storage is slow, but not a great problem.

I would like higher resolution but for web use it's ok. The camera works well and is easy to use. Built like a tank and usual Sony quality. Problems: The delay in the shutter release is really bad. The flash is awful and res could be better but for the money this camera does just about everything I want. It's a good companion to my film cameras

This camera is GREAT!!! It has so many excellent features such as MPEG movie mode, red eye reduction, 3x (6x digital) zoom, video out port, picture effects, etc. One of the greatest things about this camera is the ease of use and the floppy disk and memory stick media storage. If you just want an easy to use and simple type of media storage, the floppy disk is your answer, but if you want to store more images, than you can use a sony memory stick (with an optional adapter.) The camera's ...

illoozions

I love the concept of this camera and the ease of the floppy disc, but wish the manual had given better descriptions on when to use which effect or mode. Being an amateur, I have not yet mastered all the features and it is by trial and error. Slow shutter speed is a real problem if you want to take surprise or action shots. A little bulky. Problems: Slow shutter speed

I love it. Wish the floppy held more, but this is a floppy problem, not a camera problem. Great for someone like me who takes snapshots at family gatherings, etc. Wouldn't recommend it for fast-action shots though. Problems: A few "hot pixels" on the display, but other than thatm great.