Sony Mavica FD-85

Announced Feb 3, 2000 •
ROBERT

KIND OF BULKY - BUT GETS THE JOB DONE. NON-DIGITAL OWNERS AT MY WORK WERE AMAZED WITH THIS LOWER END SONY CAMERA. INITALLY FELL IN LOVE WITH THE FLOPPY DISK FEATURE, BUT UPON REALIZING I HAD MISSED OUT WITH THE MEMORY STICK ON LATER MODELS, REALIZED YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOUR NEEDS ARE BEFORE YOU BUY THAT FIRST CAMERA. OVERALL, IT IS GETTING THE JOB DONE, JUST WISHED THAT I HAD ALSO GOTTEN THE "MAV 92" FEATURE OF HAVING A SEPARATE MEMORY STICK SLOT AS WELL AS THE FLOPPY DISK PORT. Problems: ...

I gave the camera "excellent" scores in every area because for the price I paid for an open box, store display, discontinued model ($299) it is truly excellent in every way imaginable. While sometimes the shutter speed is slow this is only true if you are not taking advantage of the many preadjusted focus settings this camera offers and the many programmables such as subject up close with a bright background or subject up front with a scenic background, or pictures taken in twilight hours, ...

I would like higher resolution but for web use it's ok. The camera works well and is easy to use. Built like a tank and usual Sony quality. Problems: The delay in the shutter release is really bad. The flash is awful and res could be better but for the money this camera does just about everything I want. It's a good companion to my film cameras

This camera is GREAT!!! It has so many excellent features such as MPEG movie mode, red eye reduction, 3x (6x digital) zoom, video out port, picture effects, etc. One of the greatest things about this camera is the ease of use and the floppy disk and memory stick media storage. If you just want an easy to use and simple type of media storage, the floppy disk is your answer, but if you want to store more images, than you can use a sony memory stick (with an optional adapter.) The camera's ...

illoozions

I love the concept of this camera and the ease of the floppy disc, but wish the manual had given better descriptions on when to use which effect or mode. Being an amateur, I have not yet mastered all the features and it is by trial and error. Slow shutter speed is a real problem if you want to take surprise or action shots. A little bulky. Problems: Slow shutter speed

The time between when you press and hold the button to snap the picture and the time when it's actually taken is a bit slow, but it's a great camera. The quality is good.. I have yet to use every small feature to my advantage. I like the red eye reduction feature. Problems: Slow shutter speed, for lack of better words to describe it.

I love it. Wish the floppy held more, but this is a floppy problem, not a camera problem. Great for someone like me who takes snapshots at family gatherings, etc. Wouldn't recommend it for fast-action shots though. Problems: A few "hot pixels" on the display, but other than thatm great.

The camera that i own now which is this one , it has a very high image quality res. The MPEG movie mode is a great thing to have. Even thought the shutter speed is slow , You have to get the feeling of it , And then it feels like it is fast.The floppy drive is really good. Problems: NO

I got this camera a few months ago, and it's been ok. The best feature is the floppy disks, although they don't hold much. A way to get around this is to get a sony memory stick, and a memory stick to floppy disk adapter, but this ends up costing over $100. It's a very good camera for here and there picture taking, but it doesn't have the sharpness that I want and need for most of my picture taking (being artistic). It is not very good for action/movement shots. Problems: frequent disk ...

Love the MPEG feature and picture quality is good enough for the average user. I waited for the price to come down a bit because I'd seen it as high as $700. The price should be about $450. Problems: So far so good.