Sony Mavica FD-81

Announced Nov 16, 1998 •
ronterry

I'm reviewing this camera based on today 12 May 2004. The camera served me very well in taking pictures and posting them to the web. Soon printer technology caught up, and printing on 8x10 glossy paper looked - well bad, but what can you expect for a .7MP CCD. To this day I have it sitting next to my computer as sort of a "I remember the days when this was CUTTING EDGE!". My 5MP Canon G5 serves my needs today, but that FD-81 was sure a fun camera. I bought it new way back in 98-99 for 800 bucks.

I purchased my FD-81 at a nearby pawn shop about a week ago. It was marked $199, with no battery or charger. After making a deal with one of the guys, he gave me a battery from another unit and knocked $50 off, with me paying only $150. I've already taken about 20 pictures with no problems. I questioned the image quality when viewing them on the LCD, but when I viewed them on my computer, I was amazed. The AE works like a charm. The only setback occurs when shooting in low lighting, ...

Bought it for $350 on sale in early 2000. Works without problems. More than 7500 pictures. Battery still good. Let the Mavica drop on cement from 1 meter with no damage except esthetic. Bad green as mentionned by someone else. I never print pictures but look at them on screen, great for web publishing. Movie mode is useless. Problems: None

Have owned a MVC FD 81 for 3 years now and it has taken more than 4000 pictures without letting me down. The resolution is limited with today's standards but the camera is very good for snapshots. Floppy disks are virtually free. Expect to be able to save ~10 pics per floppy at largest size and highest quality. Excellent macro ability, close range about one inch. Very easy to use and intuitive menus. The supplied rechargeable battery still holds almost an hour after having been recharged at ...

I've had my FD-81 since February of 1999. I have used it almost daily, taking shots for my online auctions. I have never had any problems at all. One thing that should be noted: The color green is not displayed as well as it could be. Be sure and have extra lighting when shooting objects that contain this color. All in all, It's a fantastic "Workhorse" of a camera! Problems: Color green is poor.

This is a very good camera, I he could take a lot of pictures, and in easy way I have could sent it throught the Internet. Problems: Recently the display has showed the next Error: C:13:01. And we lost the manual,,,Could someone help me in order to know what does it mean that Error?

I bought this camera brand new when it was "state of the art" at over $700 a few years ago and still use it on almost a daily basis for taking pictures for my auctions. I still use the same battery that came with the camera and still get good use time out of it although it doesn't last as long as it did when it was new, but that is expcted. Overall at has been a good performer with no real problems. I like the fact that it takes pictures onto a floppy disk (that was one of the main reasons I ...

Have owned for 3 years 3x zoom is only shortcoming.

ZOOM COULD DO WITH IMPROVING INCREASE ON X3 Sad it wont accept memory stick at this cost it should . Problems: sticky zoom slider switch