Sony Mavica FD-81

Announced Nov 16, 1998 •
ronterry

I'm reviewing this camera based on today 12 May 2004. The camera served me very well in taking pictures and posting them to the web. Soon printer technology caught up, and printing on 8x10 glossy paper looked - well bad, but what can you expect for a .7MP CCD. To this day I have it sitting next to my computer as sort of a "I remember the days when this was CUTTING EDGE!". My 5MP Canon G5 serves my needs today, but that FD-81 was sure a fun camera. I bought it new way back in 98-99 for 800 bucks.

http://patriot.net/~koke/Mavica/faq/ your answer is on this page.

I purchased my FD-81 at a nearby pawn shop about a week ago. It was marked $199, with no battery or charger. After making a deal with one of the guys, he gave me a battery from another unit and knocked $50 off, with me paying only $150. I've already taken about 20 pictures with no problems. I questioned the image quality when viewing them on the LCD, but when I viewed them on my computer, I was amazed. The AE works like a charm. The only setback occurs when shooting in low lighting, ...

Bought it for $350 on sale in early 2000. Works without problems. More than 7500 pictures. Battery still good. Let the Mavica drop on cement from 1 meter with no damage except esthetic. Bad green as mentionned by someone else. I never print pictures but look at them on screen, great for web publishing. Movie mode is useless. Problems: None

Have owned a MVC FD 81 for 3 years now and it has taken more than 4000 pictures without letting me down. The resolution is limited with today's standards but the camera is very good for snapshots. Floppy disks are virtually free. Expect to be able to save ~10 pics per floppy at largest size and highest quality. Excellent macro ability, close range about one inch. Very easy to use and intuitive menus. The supplied rechargeable battery still holds almost an hour after having been recharged at ...

I've had my FD-81 since February of 1999. I have used it almost daily, taking shots for my online auctions. I have never had any problems at all. One thing that should be noted: The color green is not displayed as well as it could be. Be sure and have extra lighting when shooting objects that contain this color. All in all, It's a fantastic "Workhorse" of a camera! Problems: Color green is poor.

I bought this camera for $800 USD in October/1998 and still use it today (November/2001). The stock battery is lightweight so I upgraded to the heavy-duty version soon after purchase. The picture quality is OK as long as the lighting is good and you take the time to allow the camera to focus. Even so, I've taken many a blurry picture for no apparent reason and frequently have resorted to manual ring to ensure focus. The zoom is wimpy, and the flash is useless unless you are within a few feet ...

answer for Fernando --C:13 error code tells you the unformatted disc or bad disc is in camera.

This is a very good camera, I he could take a lot of pictures, and in easy way I have could sent it throught the Internet. Problems: Recently the display has showed the next Error: C:13:01. And we lost the manual,,,Could someone help me in order to know what does it mean that Error?

Haven't had as much use as expected because of requests to borrow it. Finally guided my sister to the Sony shop. Going to trade it in for a smaller model with video output. However I have a sneaky feeling that i'm going to miss it. Problems: Size price and limited zoom. If you like a big camera and can get an S/H one cheap -go for it and look out for an added zoom.