Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S40

Announced Feb 19, 2005 •

My first digital camera. I had it for 2 years and had really no issues with it. The pictures came out really good if ideal lighting was present. Night pictures were almost impossible without a tripod or a real steady hand. Problems: The LCD screen decided to go white and display an image after a year of owning it. Something came lose inside it dealing with the LCD.

caryyan

For entry level camera, this is a very good choice. Very easy to use and good picture quality. Problems: The LCD screen white out in 11 months. I got it fixed under warranty. It die again at 14 months. I have to search through internet in order to find a method to fix it. I can see this is a common problem of the S40

glchee

I bought this camera for my teenage kids. I bought 3 of them. One camera had problems with the lcd screen. It took 2 returns to Sony and a few phone calls back to the repair facility to get it fixed. My daughter took it to Europe with her and took thousands of photos and some movies. Now all three have failed. All three lcd screens have stopped working. Problems: lcd screen stopped working

Foddy

I have used this camera extensively and have been pleased with the results. There is a tendancy for lens flare but carefull use can reduce this. The screen is a little small and the constrction a bit plasticy but it is a lot cheaper than similar specification cameras ...I have also used the S600 which is a higher mega pixel version of this but was disappointed in that model due to image problems when shooting high contrast scenes. I would recommend this camera to someone on a budget but who ...

Cattel

Nice model which take the image very fast. I´m unhappy regarding the missing TV-out port on the camera. Also the SONY memory stick PRO card doesn´t work into other memory stick devices, such as my camcorder. Problems: TV-out Memory Stick PRO card works only in ´PRO´ devices not on normal memory stick devices.