Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P51

Announced Feb 20, 2002 •

This is my first digital camera, and I've made the right choice. The camera is very solid, with enough specs for a novice like me. The quality of the pics is great, and you don't have to worry about almost anything, 'cause this machine do the service. Just turn it on and take pictures. Problems: - not a great optical zoom, but is not bad at all - Need an "ok" button, instead of pushing the center of the D pad, to confirm menus.

To begin, I'd just like to say that I am very happy with this camera. It's suits my needs as a beginning photographer very well -but it is by no means a 'pro-consumer camera.' I believe that the camera is solidly constructed (even though it is a plastic body). It feels very sturdy and well constructed. An aluminum body like the P9 would obviously be more appealing, but I can't expect much more than high-grade plastic from a sub-300 dollar camera. I'd rate the feature set of the camera as ...

I got it from goodguys.com for $254.(Plus I got a free Dazzle USB reader/writer, but the promotion is over.) The color is quite natual. Small to fit my poket. The picture is as good as the other 2.0 camera. At this price, it is as good as I can expect. I got 200 pictures out of one set of batteries which is not bad at all. Problems: You have to set the energy saver to "off". Otherwise the flash setting keep getting back to off positon. Optic zoom is only 2X.

Sony tried to pack too many features into this camera, sacrificing image quality. The pictures were very grainy and not clear at all. The construction is very cheap and the buttons feel like they probably won't last very long if used for more than an occassional point and shoot. I wanted to stay within a budget when I purchased this camera. I'm definitely returning it and giving up some of the features to get what I really bought a camera for....good pictures! Problems: Battery life is ...

very good Problems: not enuff storage space