Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P51

Announced Feb 20, 2002 •
Reza D

I consider my self very fortunate to have about 300euro to spend on a digital camera. I have to say that this camera is absolutely perfect. The pictures are crystal clear. Everything is totally wonderfull. It has many many features I love. Sony has made a great camera. I made a research before buying. I strongly recommend it. If you have the money, because sadly Its not cheap. Problems: none

R@zzle

Nice camera for the money Problems: Unlike everyone else here I find the OK button simple very easy to use but the lens... oh dear God! The lens are located in the worst position for any kind of cam... It is very easy to have a finger (or two) in your pictures if you are not careful enough, plus it is a little difficult to compose thru the virefinder...

T Lev

I researched for 2 months before buying this camera and am very pleased. Plenty of features for us amateurs and very easy to learn all the controls. Solid feel and easy to handle. I like the quick startup time also. Even with an extra 64M memory card, soft case, and extra batteries it was under $300. A great buy!

The Sony P51 is my first digital camera. I researched the market before I bought, and the video out feature was the clinching point in the end. I feel I have made the right chioce for my needs. The picture quality is ample for what I wanted - which was to replace my point and shoot 35mm, and have some digital features. I feel there are more than enough options for basic use including focus modes, digi effects, image trimming etc. Very happy with my purchase and 6x4 prints are excellent Problems:

Not bad. First digital camera I owned, but not the first I used. Menu Options are pretty easy after reading the manual for no more than 5 minutes. And it seems there are a lot of them for the price of this gadget. I didn't like the night pictures it took, found them to have too much red, especially if I tried to take somewhat scenic shots in the dark.. also wish I had a tripod. Flash rather weak, but I didn't expect much more. Daytime pictures turned out pretty well on full auto, though ...

A thoroughly likeable little camera with good picture quality and easily followed menus - a bit bare on features. Costs an Englishman much more than a citizen of the US (apparently) so value for money not so good. Problems: The "OK" button. The bundled software - ugly, difficult ... not at all intuitive.

Virgis

All auto functions are working OK. Easy to use. Better picture quality as Canon Ixus - only little problems with green pictures (but focus OK). Problems: No manual White Balance - all pictures are "green" . "Set" buttion shuld be separetly (problems to set functions OK). Some noise without flash in dark scenes.

Pek

Fantastic value/money ratio. This camera joins the good price of a 2 MPixels-2xZoom with some really good features belonging most of times to more expensive cameras. The quailty image is very good. However, in low lightning situations the photo may appear noisy if you don't use flash o some manual adjustments. The construction is good. It's quite small and light and the materials used are right for what it costs, not like some other cameras, that actually seem toys (i.e. Kodak 3600). The ...