Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1

Announced Feb 19, 2005 •
Webfoot

Don't think I'll ever part with this lil gem. Just the right heft, one of the best high contrast backlit auto-fill flash cameras for outdoor people snapshots I've ever had. Put it on auto with forced flash, hand it to anyone, tell them to depress the shutter release halfway before each shot and anyone can take a decently exposed snapshot. Because it uses double AA batteries it goes everywhere as my backup camera for family and organizational events.

neatos

just sold this camera (soley because i want something a little smaller) but overall an excellent purchase many moons ago,takes a good crisp photo even at long end of the zoom Problems: the auto focus was a bit hit and miss and when using the movie mode it kept flickering in and out of focus which was highly annoying

keg75

I purchased this camera just after it came out in Australia. The camera is quite chunky as you'd expect from a camera or this size. The camera invariably sits out from you body when you hang it around your kneck as there is no swivel strap on both sides. it would have been good if the connection point swivelled so that the camera could hang down. The camera is easy to use. invariably i use it in the automatic mode. I do switch to other modes when i feel i need better results. The camera's ...

ksli

Excellent camera. Problems: No HD-quality video... :)

The Sony H1 is not the best camera on the market in its range. I think the Lumix or the Canon might be better - but its close! However, the sony, for a beginner or novice, is so easy to use with ample scope to use it manually. But I tend to stay on Auto because it does a better job than i do! I especially like the big screen on it and the easy-to-use user interface (i.e. not too many button like the Kodak and well set out menu). I also like the way it's constructed - metal. The plastic ...

rick

final review and changes If you can't afford the H2 I say get this .This camera is a good choice because of zoom and Sony color. This is the first digital calmera I can honestly say you get more then what you pay for at closeout. From now on this is where digital cameras need to be compared from. I realize the price difference between this and h2 is only 60 or 70 dollars at closeout prices but I being a cheapstake had to try my second H1. My first one was when they first came out and I ...

jlopes

Good camera, well built, nice and ergonomic design, lot's of features, very intuitive, good 12 X zomm lens, great image quality, with lot's of detail, great color. Everything is good in this camera, even the price, it is a great value for money. Congratulations Sony, for a job well done. Love this camera!!!!

gav1

Having owned the camera for 6 months now,i would say that i am 95% happy with it .The image quality in all but the most trying shooting conditions is great.Also I will add that for this type of camera being 12times zoom ,anything over 5mp is not going to being a great advantage unless you print huge pics or do some serious cropping/enlarging. Problems: Flash can be a little too stong in certain circumstances Difficult to find snug case/have not tried genuine sony case, is there one?

Mahdi

very easy to use with impressive image quality beautiful styling Powerful pop-up flash it is good that it operates with regular batteries Problems: it is a pitty that this wonderful camera is not able to zoom while videoing :( it is a bit big to always carry with you I wish DC adaptor and case were included This non-turning bare big LCD looks vulnerable

s_grins

Since I bought H1 to compliment R1, I can see pros and contras of H1 Pros: zoom 12 , intuitive menus, conveniently located buttons for commonly used manual controls, good handling and feel, hight quality shots for 5Mps camera (low noise up to 200 ISO) on either end of zoom. Good macro mode Cons: almost useless for indoor photos. Built-in flash flushes out natural colors and there is no option for external flash. 2 AA NiMh batteries do not have capacity to work with flash on (expect 40-50 shots)