Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717

Announced Sep 2, 2002 •

I used this camera for about 5.5 years and took over 30,000 shots with it. At the time I bought it, it had the best optics of cameras in its class. Combined with low noise at ISO100, this enabled me to use this for many years. The pivoting LCD assembly allowed me to take shots in awkward scenarios: above the crowd, around a corner, etc... The nightshot mode in conjunction with IR filters enables infrared photography. The 320x240 movie mode was not "production quality" by any stretch, ...

I've used this camera for 3.5 years now and am very happy with the quality of contruction and, of course, a great lens. Image quality must be up there with the very best produced by any 5 MP camera! Problems: Also experienced the CCD failure in Dec 2006. Sony replaced it free of charge without any hassle.

Owned this camera since its inception (also all its previous models). Still love it and I never change it (not even for my wifes Nikon D80). I dream only of an upgrade of this very machine with todays increased pixels and shorter timelag, the swivel body feaure is the greatest asset for me. In the used market this must be one of the best camera's you can find. Added note (Nov/2007) : still very happy and not upgrading. Problems: Also had the sensor failure recently but SONY (The Netherlands) ...

Excellent, but problem with CCD Problems: CCD is down after two years... U$ 400 to change it in Brazil. Note: all the F717 ccd's are with problem, and many other digital still cameras. See on: http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1128703521.html

It's a Fantastic Camera, great Focus and very robust! Taken about 5000 pictures, and not a glitch.

I am an "old kind of photographer", started my amateur photographic life 32 years ago,and a truly Nikon fan( One F2,one F 501).(My first camera was a Nikkormat).I decided 3 years ago to "close" my BW laboratory and start with the digitals.I first bought a Sony DSC 85 ( 4.1 mpixels camera ) which is still a very good camera and decided later on to buy the F717.Well, this is a great camera, with good feautures, great tonal balance, great image quality. The balance of the camera on hand it is ...

Bought this camera used (mileage 1300 pictures, paid $400). Used this camera more than 3 months, made about 2500shots. Have used Panasonic FZ10 before. 1. construction is excellent. Body is magnesium-based. Camera feel good in my small hands. The 120degrees swivel-body is very firmly designed. all the buttons are silent, auto-focus, zoom drive, and shutter are also very silent. Feels like an expensive, well built camera. considering the fast lens (F2.0!) and steady body (650grams), you can ...

Terrific pictures..Great value for the money. Awesome battery life. Love the swivel lens! Problems: Kinda slow...Very limited burst mode.

DiDo

Good Build Quality, excellent Lens with phantastic photographic results. noise free night shots. Problems: Memory Stick Paramaters like Contrast and Saturation not selectable Midrange startup time lag and shutter lag

Excellent camera for the money. Images are superb under most coniditions. Instead of going on and on about the quality, i'll let you judge for yourself. Visit my F717 gallery at www.keith-dc.smugmug.com