Sony Mavica FD-91

Announced Nov 16, 1998 •
Philip Turner

Overall I've been super impressed with the results from this camera. It makes use of an HTML index of all photos or video recorded on a floppy diskette. The floppy disk as storage is one of the primary attractions in terms of getting digital images to the computer. It is also its greatest weakness. In the RAW image format (TIFF), the Mavica can store (1) image on a diskette. With a "fine" setting you will likely get storage of 20-22 JPEG compressed images on a single 1.4 MB diskette. Being a ...

Girish Babu

More than 25000 pics taken on my FD91 during the last 3 years!Because of the excellent range of the optical zoom, I could take better pictures than any other camera. Unbelievably good spot metering. Very practical storage device, but floppy is sometimes unreliable. I have not located any digital camera with comparable level of optical zoom range. SONY! PLEASE BRING OUT A HIGHER RESOLUTION MODEL WITH OPTICAL ZOOM RANGES LIKE THE FD91. It could be a hit! Problems: The display panel gets ...

Es una camara excelente !!! Su principal virtud está en su gran Zoom (14 X). Facil de usar hasta por principiantes. Pantalla LCD de buen tamaño. Facil y rapidamente se pueden realizar copias del diskette (total o parcialmente). Autofoco excelente !! La función de control de vibración ayuda mucho en momentos dinámicos!! Problems: Flash pobre, debe mejorarse !!!

Flawless camera has been used daily for over two years. Needs the bigger 550 battery to be truly useful, but for internet photos this camera outperforms everything because of the fantastic LENS. And I paid $812 back then. Only downside is that a vehicle charger costs so much. Problems: The battery sent with it only lasted about six months before it wouldn't recharge well.

Harv

I've owned my FD-91 for about a year. Bought it at $650.00 brand new from a big online electronics merchant. Absolutely the best camera I've ever owned. Although it's a three year old model now, and not megapixel, I don't really need huge print resolutions, as most of what I shoot ends up on computer screens/web pages/eBay auctions, etc. etc. I've used Sony's ImageStation Web Service for free 4x5 prints and they came out just fine. An astounding feature set. Super build quality. The whole ...

Got a great deal ($500). Love x14 optical zoom. Using floppy disks saves lots of money. Best feature that wasn't carried over to the FD95 or FD97 is the flip-able LCD display. Comes in very handy when taking self pictures or angle up/down pics. Problems: Grainy images sometimes. Flash does not work well at all.

$699.00 on sale made this the best buy for me. I do web development so resolution is fine. The floppies make me "snap crazy". I have never taken so many pics, save what I need and reformat. The savings on film and memory sticks is a major plus. The 14x ("518" mm) OPTICAL zoom is great! Problems: Battery life is good but I still carry a spare 550. I do carry a lot of disks but, how big would my bag be with a 500 mm zoom and tripod.

Simple to use, flip-up display can be used overhead for over crowd shots, LCD appears upright. Telephoto is excellent for all applications, ttl viewfinder excellent in bright light. Needs better flash, seems weak even on high. Needs more light in dark room than would have expected. All-around very good outdoor camera for sports, or where telephoto is used, steady shot works well. Problems: None

Bob Miller

The FD91 won't replace either of my 35mm SLRs, but lately I have been using it almost exclusively. Comfortable, easy to use, well laid out controls, and SteadyShot. Great flexibility, top 1/4000 shutter speed, super zoom. Enjoy convenience of floppy storage. Battery life very good. Printed image quality to 8x10 depends on subject matter, printer and paper (I use Epson 740 and Epson Photo Paper (glossy). Very pleased with my digital camera choice. Problems: Flash is poor. I use Viviar 2800 ...

I have 3 Sony cameras and this is the second Mavica I have owned. Several things set this camera apart from all others. the 14x zoom, aperture and shutter priority modes, macro focus down less than 1cm, full manual focus, standard 52mm filter size. I take lots of action shots so the 1/4000th shutter speed is very good. I like the WYSIWYG TTL viewfinder that shows DOF, focus, metering, WB, and shutter speed changes in real time. (Airplane propellors are stopped just as they will be on the image.)