Sony Mavica FD-91

Announced Nov 16, 1998 •

$699.00 on sale made this the best buy for me. I do web development so resolution is fine. The floppies make me "snap crazy". I have never taken so many pics, save what I need and reformat. The savings on film and memory sticks is a major plus. The 14x ("518" mm) OPTICAL zoom is great! Problems: Battery life is good but I still carry a spare 550. I do carry a lot of disks but, how big would my bag be with a 500 mm zoom and tripod.

Simple to use, flip-up display can be used overhead for over crowd shots, LCD appears upright. Telephoto is excellent for all applications, ttl viewfinder excellent in bright light. Needs better flash, seems weak even on high. Needs more light in dark room than would have expected. All-around very good outdoor camera for sports, or where telephoto is used, steady shot works well. Problems: None

Bob Miller

The FD91 won't replace either of my 35mm SLRs, but lately I have been using it almost exclusively. Comfortable, easy to use, well laid out controls, and SteadyShot. Great flexibility, top 1/4000 shutter speed, super zoom. Enjoy convenience of floppy storage. Battery life very good. Printed image quality to 8x10 depends on subject matter, printer and paper (I use Epson 740 and Epson Photo Paper (glossy). Very pleased with my digital camera choice. Problems: Flash is poor. I use Viviar 2800 ...

I have 3 Sony cameras and this is the second Mavica I have owned. Several things set this camera apart from all others. the 14x zoom, aperture and shutter priority modes, macro focus down less than 1cm, full manual focus, standard 52mm filter size. I take lots of action shots so the 1/4000th shutter speed is very good. I like the WYSIWYG TTL viewfinder that shows DOF, focus, metering, WB, and shutter speed changes in real time. (Airplane propellors are stopped just as they will be on the image.)

Jim B.

Interesting camera with a great zoom and manual controls. Floppy storage is actually not that bad but limits the resolution to 1024x768 (great for web but not for printing). Well built and easy to handle if you are not looking for a pocket size camera. This is more like a 35mm SLR design than a point and shoot body style. Infolithium batteries are great! Problems: Low light picture taking is horrible. Pics are extremely grainy in anything other than bright sunlight.