Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM

Announced Mar 18, 2008 •
Prime lens | Canon EF, Four Thirds, Nikon F (FX), Pentax KAF3, Sigma SA Bayonet, Sony/Minolta Alpha

I chose this lens over the equivalent lens from Canon, basically because of optical performance. Previously, I wrote a 4.5 star review of this lens, but now I feel I can't stand for that anymore Optically I still think this lens is really good, but the autofocus is really inconsistent on long distances (having it on a 40D). I sent the lens to sigma, and then later on both the lens and the camera body (Canon also ran an autofocus test on the camera body and confirmed it was ok). When I sent ...

Awesome lens. I take a lot of shots of musicians in dimly lit bars, and for those situations I bring this lens and my CZ 24/2. I call them my "rock & roll lenses." I had read about quality control issues, in particular auto focus accuracy. I have found nothing to complain about. Maybe I got lucky, but I suspect those issues were confined to early production runs (I bought mine in April 2012). At f/1.4 the depth of field is effectively the width of a human hair, so I am not too surprised that ...

benedictlaig

This is my first professional (?) grade prime lens and I'm extremely happy with it. I find it a worthy upgrade to my existing Canon 50mm f1.8. AF is fast and accurate enough and build quality is satisfactory. I bought it used from my friend and found no issues with it. Problems: There are reports of quality control issues with regards to this lens. Be sure to test it in the store before buying one. If you get a good copy, you won't regret it.

Alexandru Stavrica

This Sigma is better than Canon 50mm F1.4 USM. Best bokeh, best construction ! Buy it !

I was used to f/3.5-f/2.8 lenses and found moving to this 50 challenging. Setting the camera (Nikon D700) up for a static shoot to check quality proved how good it is at 1.4, especially in the centre. Using it in the real world wide open is a different kettle of fish. Whereas say with a 70-200 f/2.8 wide open you can just point and shoot at moving subjects and expect a high hit rate, with a f/1.4 lens you can't. I like shooting people and 1.4 allows very atmospheric low light scenes to be ...

This is easily one of my favorite Sigma lenses. I use this on a Canon 5D mark ii. Simply put its awesome. It is built really well, and focuses really great. It's the best f1.4 lens I have ever used. The center is really sharp even wide open. I don't know that it ever gets as sharp on the edges, or stay as straight as others, but from f1.4-2.8 it blows away everything else I have used. I wouldn't use this for architecture or landscape, but as a low-light or portrait lens, its awesome.