Sigma 500mm F4.5 EX DG HSM

Announced Feb 14, 2005 •
Telephoto prime lens | Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Pentax KAF, Sigma SA Bayonet, Sony/Minolta Alpha

First of all, let me say that I'm not trying to kid myself that this is in the $9,000 Canon EF 500mm f/4L class, but you certainly get more than your money's worth out of this extremely well made lens. I use it strictly for wildlife, and am more than satisfied with the results. I once owned the equivalent in a Canon (500mm f/4.5L Non IS), and this Sigma comes very close once stopped down a little . I've found f/8 to be the optimum when using either a 1DX or a 1D Mk 1V body. It gives ...

nikheat

I have used many Sigma lenses over the years, on Sony/Minolta, Nikon and Canon kit, the two I truly liked were the 105mm macro and the 12-24mm wide zoom. While moving to Nikon kit I was looking for a long tele for wildlife work, when I happened to see a second hand Sigma 500mm EX at a very good price, and took the chance to try one out. I must admit that although I generally dont mind Sigma lenses only the two mentioned above really felt like keepers that I wouldnt sell. Since using the 500mm ...

garyknrd

I also own this lens in the Pentax mount. A very good lens indeed. I find it really sharp at 5.6 and f4.5 is also sharp. Fast focus and sharp contrasty pic's. Deliver a very good photo. Highly recommended. I give it a 4 because not focus limiter in Pentax mount or HSM. RE. screw AF. This photo galery is dedicated to the Sgmai 300mm F2.8 and the Sigma 500mm f4.5 lens only. www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos/