Sigma 300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM

Announced Feb 14, 2005 •
Telephoto prime lens | Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Pentax KAF, Sigma SA Bayonet, Sony/Minolta Alpha

If a fast telephoto prime is what you need, the Minolta is the benchmark for this focal length and aperture, so getting close to that is no mean feat. It's extremely well built and is supplied with a very good set of standard equipment and features. AF speed and focal lock is fast, though colours aren't quite classic Minolta, but still delivers pleasing results. Sharpness and IQ is excellent and even at F/2.8 the centre portion of the image is sharp though does soften towards the edges, but ...

I bought this having tried it out in the shop and having viewed the images on their computer. I had to the the AF calibrated by Sigma as it was front-focussing. In practical use I find it as sharp as my Canon lenses, though the 70-200 f4 L and 400 f5.6 L look sharper on really finely-detailed test targets. This may have something to do with distance. I've tested it at various apertures and it's as sharp wide open as stopped down, though of course the DOF is very shallow wide open. Too ...

garyknrd

I own the Prime in the Pentax mount. EX, DG, APO. A failry good lens. I really do not have another option in Pentax. I find AF good and good optics. I will write a better review if I ever shoot a dedicated Canon version. I am planning on getting one soon I hope.