Ricoh RDC-5300

Announced Oct 11, 1999 •

I have tried the camera for some weeks now and I am very satistied. Problems: The date has to be set after each battery change.

Good solid camera capable of producing excellent quality images under the right conditions. I have taken thousand of photos, many using the macro settings. The auto-focus can be eratic, and the manual focus is virtually useless. Problems: Problems with focusing, especially in low light

I've had the camera 1 year. Overall very well built and easy to use. Action shots don't come out well. Don't know if this a problem for all digital cams or not. Pictures are best outside or in very bright light.

I have had the camera and really enjoy it. I went from a Nikon SLR which had more features and capabilities than my wife could master. The 5300 is the best bridge betwen user friendly and technical sophistication. Problems: I go one of the early releases and my camer lacks the digital zoom capabilities.

This camera must be solid because I left it on top of my car one time by mistake. When I pulled out going about 5mph it hit the hood than the pavment I just pictured it a pile of rubble, but to my surprize it still worked just fine, with only a small dent in the case. Problems: For some unknown reason at time pictures I have taken don't show up later when I go to download them. It seems to happen when I change batteries.

This camera is excellent for all around use. Versatile picture taking, excellent options with image size and JPEG compression, and I really like the LCD cover. I purchased the IR Remote control, which makes it even more useful. Problems: The only problems I've had are taking pictures in low light. Poorly lit rooms, especially large rooms where the flash doesn't reflect well, are the only problem area I've had.