Ricoh RDC-5300

Announced Oct 11, 1999 •

I've been using the RDC 5300 for 1.5 years now and have made hundreds of photos. Overall, it's a good camera as long as light is bright and the subject doesn't move. Problems: Poor autofocus, especiallly if light is dim. Focussing manually isn't practical. Long delay in shooting (press button and wait a second). Battery-hungry, especially with lower voltage (NiMH). Weak built-in flash. Few buttons, menue is needed often.

I'm a novice to photography in general, so was apprehensive about investing this much in a camera. I've been pleasantly surprised at it's eas of use. I've used it on our camping trips, of which there are pics on http://mysportsmagazine.com . I was satisfied with the picture quality, until my buddy went with me to the drag races and I posted some of his pics along with mine. He uses a Canon EOS D30, which he spent over $2500 for. I paid $400 for my 5300 at Fry's, with an extra 32 meg memory ...

Mal

Excellent image quality when used outside in bright sunshine. Excellent image quality in macro mode as well. The flash is very powerful and produces perfect exposure most of the time. Using the external flash is a bit hit and miss. (If you are the correct distance from the subject the image is perfect) Problems: No problems at all

In Bright Light the Camera produces rich colors that stand comparison with the best. Macro is excellent. Using AA size cells means that wherever you are in the world you should always be able to find cells to power it. NiMh cells have a good life. Build quality is higher than most. Problems: Poor in low light conditions I rate ASA at 50 or less although there is a low light setting that helps a bit and external flash can supplement the built in unit. Simplistic controls.