Ricoh RDC-5300

Announced Oct 11, 1999 •

I have tried the camera for some weeks now and I am very satistied. Problems: The date has to be set after each battery change.

Good solid camera capable of producing excellent quality images under the right conditions. I have taken thousand of photos, many using the macro settings. The auto-focus can be eratic, and the manual focus is virtually useless. Problems: Problems with focusing, especially in low light

I've been using the RDC 5300 for 1.5 years now and have made hundreds of photos. Overall, it's a good camera as long as light is bright and the subject doesn't move. Problems: Poor autofocus, especiallly if light is dim. Focussing manually isn't practical. Long delay in shooting (press button and wait a second). Battery-hungry, especially with lower voltage (NiMH). Weak built-in flash. Few buttons, menue is needed often.

I've had the camera 1 year. Overall very well built and easy to use. Action shots don't come out well. Don't know if this a problem for all digital cams or not. Pictures are best outside or in very bright light.

I have had the camera and really enjoy it. I went from a Nikon SLR which had more features and capabilities than my wife could master. The 5300 is the best bridge betwen user friendly and technical sophistication. Problems: I go one of the early releases and my camer lacks the digital zoom capabilities.

I'm a novice to photography in general, so was apprehensive about investing this much in a camera. I've been pleasantly surprised at it's eas of use. I've used it on our camping trips, of which there are pics on http://mysportsmagazine.com . I was satisfied with the picture quality, until my buddy went with me to the drag races and I posted some of his pics along with mine. He uses a Canon EOS D30, which he spent over $2500 for. I paid $400 for my 5300 at Fry's, with an extra 32 meg memory ...

This camera must be solid because I left it on top of my car one time by mistake. When I pulled out going about 5mph it hit the hood than the pavment I just pictured it a pile of rubble, but to my surprize it still worked just fine, with only a small dent in the case. Problems: For some unknown reason at time pictures I have taken don't show up later when I go to download them. It seems to happen when I change batteries.

This camera is excellent for all around use. Versatile picture taking, excellent options with image size and JPEG compression, and I really like the LCD cover. I purchased the IR Remote control, which makes it even more useful. Problems: The only problems I've had are taking pictures in low light. Poorly lit rooms, especially large rooms where the flash doesn't reflect well, are the only problem area I've had.

Mal

Excellent image quality when used outside in bright sunshine. Excellent image quality in macro mode as well. The flash is very powerful and produces perfect exposure most of the time. Using the external flash is a bit hit and miss. (If you are the correct distance from the subject the image is perfect) Problems: No problems at all

In Bright Light the Camera produces rich colors that stand comparison with the best. Macro is excellent. Using AA size cells means that wherever you are in the world you should always be able to find cells to power it. NiMh cells have a good life. Build quality is higher than most. Problems: Poor in low light conditions I rate ASA at 50 or less although there is a low light setting that helps a bit and external flash can supplement the built in unit. Simplistic controls.