Ricoh RDC-5000

Announced Feb 18, 1999 •
2 megapixels | 1.8 screen | 38 – 86 mm (2.3×)
Rodrigues

Moray Rumney

Being an SLR user, speed of use is slow. Zoom playback is very useful - if only to verify the auto-focus worked. Would have liked some control over aperature and speed, but results are OK for snaps. Problems: Auto-focus is the biggest problem - esp. under low light. Holding the camera very still helps. Lens flare can be wild. Manual focus is very hard to use.

I've taken maybe 1500 pictures under all conditions with this camera since August of 1999. The results: some of the best and worst pictures of any camera I've used. In good light (outdoors), this camera often yields results that far exceed my Canon ELPH (APS film). Under lower light, the auto focus becomes problematic (it sucks ;)), and I only get about 25-percent of my shots to be in-focus. Battery life: about 1 hour for 4 new AA alkaline batteries. Problems: Auto-focus is poor, ...

Phil Miles

I bought this over two years ago on impulse at a duty free on my way to New Guinea,it lives with in a bag in wet muddy conditions, it's been wet and muddy on several occasions, dropped twice on concrete and never let me down. I've taken over 5,000 photos, some of them almost perfect.Macro with extra lens is brilliant. Problems: Auto lens cover sticks,must be the mud that jams it sometimes.

This camera does everything that I wanted it to do At the time of writing I have taken just on 560 shots and have printed about half .Any bad shots have been of my doing. Instuctions are easy to follow and as I am in my seventies if I can operate the camera anyone can. Problems: Not as yet.

Maakt mooie foto's en zeer duidelijk, je moet wel even wat spelen en testen maar dan is het ook goed. De camera is gemakkelijk te bedienen en het geheugen dat erin zit is om te beginnen genoeg, niet iedere camera heeft dit. Problems: Nog geen problemen gehad.

This is my third digital camera. It has by far the best image quailty of those that I concidered (Canon, Kodak, Olympus) and is easier to use than most. The photo cycle time is very long though and the auto focus is as slow as molassas

I've been putting off going digital for a long time. I'm really picky about my pictures, and nothing does as good as a simple ol' SLR, like my Canon AE1. Or so I thought. I was only just looking at cameras to pass the time one day. I walked out of the store with this one. I was really impressed. I didn't do a full comparison, so I may find one better, but so far this little thing is sweet. I have taken hundreds of photos with it so far, and with a few exceptions, it does perfect. When ...

After 48 hours with the camera and 25 years of SLR experience I want more control. Pictures quality is exceptional but if you are making pictures you will want to set f-stops to control DOF. Want to use the great Ricoh macro capability? Use manual focus and a tripod, 3 out of 5 hand held attempts were disappointing. F16 would have solved many problems. I will keep this camera but purchase the next equivalent with manual controls (it isn't the Olympus C2000Z) Problems: Focus is not reliable ...