Ricoh RDC-5000

Announced Feb 18, 1999 •
2 megapixels | 1.8 screen | 38 – 86 mm (2.3×)
Rodrigues

Moray Rumney

Being an SLR user, speed of use is slow. Zoom playback is very useful - if only to verify the auto-focus worked. Would have liked some control over aperature and speed, but results are OK for snaps. Problems: Auto-focus is the biggest problem - esp. under low light. Holding the camera very still helps. Lens flare can be wild. Manual focus is very hard to use.

I've taken maybe 1500 pictures under all conditions with this camera since August of 1999. The results: some of the best and worst pictures of any camera I've used. In good light (outdoors), this camera often yields results that far exceed my Canon ELPH (APS film). Under lower light, the auto focus becomes problematic (it sucks ;)), and I only get about 25-percent of my shots to be in-focus. Battery life: about 1 hour for 4 new AA alkaline batteries. Problems: Auto-focus is poor, ...

This has been my first intro to digital photography and I have been very impresased with the results. one complaint is "edging" where for instance mountains are against a blue sky.Also like another of your correspondents not enough manual control override. Problems: None

Phil Miles

I bought this over two years ago on impulse at a duty free on my way to New Guinea,it lives with in a bag in wet muddy conditions, it's been wet and muddy on several occasions, dropped twice on concrete and never let me down. I've taken over 5,000 photos, some of them almost perfect.Macro with extra lens is brilliant. Problems: Auto lens cover sticks,must be the mud that jams it sometimes.

This camera does everything that I wanted it to do At the time of writing I have taken just on 560 shots and have printed about half .Any bad shots have been of my doing. Instuctions are easy to follow and as I am in my seventies if I can operate the camera anyone can. Problems: Not as yet.

Holger Schmitz

Used it for 2 1/2 Yrs now, I am quite content with its overall performance. In light you can get good contrast, the resolution is fine, the reliability is very good.Battery life app. 1 hr continous usage - thats ok for me. The housing is solid and the LCD is protected. the mechanics are very reliable, even akfter lots and lots of pics. I never really regretted buying it. Problems: The autofocus never was good. Now after app. 14000 (!!) pics its even worse. Getting sharp pics in low light ...

Maakt mooie foto's en zeer duidelijk, je moet wel even wat spelen en testen maar dan is het ook goed. De camera is gemakkelijk te bedienen en het geheugen dat erin zit is om te beginnen genoeg, niet iedere camera heeft dit. Problems: Nog geen problemen gehad.

Takes brilliant pictures. Sharpness very good. Very solid contruction (dropped it several times by accident; no damage whatsoever). Problems: None, except the auto-focus could be more accurate.