Ricoh Caplio R5

Announced Aug 24, 2006 •
7 megapixels | 2.5 screen | 28 – 200 mm (7.1×)
Andy Cam

Bought this for my partner as their little 3Mb Kodak bit the dust and they wanted a little more control & bigger pixels. Features are great. But that's as far as it goes! Problems: The jpeg processing not brilliant. Handling is the main problem. There is no optical viewfinder (this is a common problem - how do you people settle for this...impossible to compose properly in bright sunlight. Next problem, and I consider this to be such a major design fault I returned the camera on this alone ...

alead

I'm an amateur user, but I've been using compact cameras for many years. I had Nikon, Panasonic and Canon. I bought this camera as it incorporated many features I wanted: 28 mm., compact camera, wide zoom, 640X480 30fps videos and other. I sold my Canon Ixus 800 IS for this one (and this was my first mistake :-)). The good things I noticed are: - very powerful flash very light (in comparison with many ultra-compact Canon and Panasonic now on market) - very fast shoot Problems: On contrary, on ...

Ilovemyphotos

I have been looking for a camera suitable for low light and was about to purchase the Fuji F30 after excellent reviews on various websites. However, when I visited camera stores, they all said that the camera was not all its cracked up to be and pointed me in the direction of the Ricoh F5 because it could handle low light just as well, and had the advantage of wide and long zoom. So, without doing very much research, I trusted the camera shop and bought the Ricoh F5. And I am so so disappointed.

I have taken daylight and night photos with and without flash. I have only gotten two ro three reasonable photos out of 50+ so far. Most have been very, very grainy. Very unexceptable, crappy to be exact. A freind of mine got one a fews day before I did and is getting the same results. He has emailed Ricoh, but we have not heard anything. Problems: terible results