Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM

Announced Sep 22, 2008 •
Telephoto prime lens | Pentax KAF3
infoomatic

simply a stunning lens. sharp at wide open but and razor sharp stopped down. The bokeh is very very nice, I love the characteristics and the colors! Its weather resistance sometimes lets me take pictures of concerts when other photographers look for a shelter from sparkling beer or champagne ;-)

ScottConover

Love the lens. I have 3 lenses and this is my favorite. I love that I can take shots in very dark situations and have great results. At first I thought something was wrong with the focus but I read an article on how to adjust the focus with my k5 and it's been great ever since. I recommend this lens. Weather sealing works flawlessly. I love it! Problems: Larger than the 50 1.8 Getting used to focus issues although solvable with k5

Robgo2

I tested 5 copies of the DA*55 and was unable to find one that could focus reliably on my K-7. I even tried one of them on a K-5 unsuccessfully. My experience is consistent with dpreview's test results. There are many satisfied users of this lens, so I believe that there must be some perfect copies out there, but I also believe that some of those users are simply unaware that their lenses are dysfunctional. (It happens all the time.) My advice to prospective buyers is to test the lens ...