Pentax EI-2000

Announced Feb 3, 2000 •
2 megapixels | 2 screen | 34 – 108 mm (3.2×)
David Davidson

I bought this camera after much research in December 2001. Instantly impressed with what was in the box and almost instantly disappointed with the pictures. Very much hit and miss with the focus and lots of shots coming out looking "soft" and lacking sharpness and detail. Foruntately the company had a 14 day no quibble guarantee and therefore returned if for an Olympus E-100RS (WOW - what a difference). I really liked the look of this camera and was disappointed with the performance. Sorry ...

This is an excellent camera. You can take some really pro-looking shots with it. And it lookings f***ing cool too. The only down-side, is that there's no movie mode. But its a camera, not a camcorder; and it does its job excellently. Problems: *NONE*

good camara to use, feels like my old SLR. the LCD is good to see and very usefull for macro-photo's the build in flash is usefull, but i want a external flash Problems: i have already 3 cards used, after one week the camera shows zero pics on card left or no card installed, the 4e is a Tosiba no porblems anymore

I bought the Pentax ei-2000 2 weeks ago - here in Germany now for 888 DM (should be $ 400). Generally pleased with the results of this camera. Not the best digital SLR camera - but think of the price (you can get get better digital SLR cameras - but for more than $ 1000) The macro function is very good. A real SLR digital - very cheap for a digital SLR camera!! Comparing the price and the quality - it´s the best SLR digital camera you can get for your money. Problems: untill now no problems

Gerry Hanna

I acquired this model recently and was overjoyed with the camera itself, at last, a real SLR digital, big and beefy and a doddle to use. BUT that image quality; not up to standard. I ran a test with an Epson 850Z (2MEG) and the Epson BLEW the Pentax out of the water - NO CONTEST. A real pity. It needs a proper manual focus ring. Problems: I suspect it is fussy about storage cards. Sometimes does not want to work with other makes.

Charles Durrant

This is an initial review after only 24 hours. I purchased this camera S/H as it was very cheap for a digital SLR. I'm impressed by the ease of use and feature set. I already have a Minolta Dimage 1500 Zoom (1.3Mpels), and wanted an SLR type for macro work. I especially like the ability to use Shutter or aperture priority exposure modes. I still need to experiment with Raw mode and manual focusing to see if the focus/sharpness problem is caused by the auto-focus, the software or the lens (see ...

I have only owned the camera for a few weeks but am very impressed. It feels like an standard SLR and the picture quality is very good. It is now retailing at £350 which I think makes it stand head and shoulders above the competition. Only niggle is the industrial sounding grind when you operate zoom. Problems: None to date

Nice try Pentax! but lack of quality. This is maby why the EI-3000 was canseled... Problems: Got my first EI-2000 in August this year. First problems after one week. The camera didnt accept the HAMA 64MB CF card I bought. I tryed two different cards, but the camera destroyed the cards. Then I got a SanDisc CF card and that solved the problem. Then two weeks ago the camera started taking half exposured pictures. Only half of the pics was taken, the other half was black/white rasted. I then got ...

I just lost the cd of installation (drivers) and the manual. Could somebody help me? Please?!

I've just taken this camera on a six week holiday around Europe (including 10 days on a bicycle) and was very pleased with it. Reliability was superb - no memory card problems (I used a 128mb card), no images lost, no unexpected behaviour. Landscapes and macro mode were excellent. A few too many focusing problems in 'mid-range' shots for my liking but they were generally correctable with a little care. Flash photography with the built-in flash is disappointing for any but very simple ...