Pentax EI-200

Announced Feb 3, 2000 •
2 megapixels | 2 screen | 34 – 108 mm (3.2×)

I bought this camera because of its advertised features. It lives up to everything except image quality. Compared to other digital cameras, the images from the EI-200 are way too noisy; they seem to be equivalent to 1600-speed film. I've brought this issue up with Pentax, and they insist there's nothing wrong with the camera. Compare images from this camera to other DC's and you'll see for yourself. Pentax's web site no longer offers support to this camera in the form of upgrades. They ...

Takes great outdoor pictures. Very crisp and clear. Flash pictures are crummy! Tough on batteries.

The worst camera I have ever used. If this is digital photography,then forget it. You are probably better off in buying a 35mm point and shoot compact. Not up to the usual Pentax build and optical quality that I have experienced with their SLR equipment. Problems: Has been back to Pentax twice for repairs in the year I have owned it. Heavy on battery power and unreliable to say the least.

Also HP PhotoSmart 618 (low price)

I have had this camera for 8 Months, and so far have totally enjoyed having it. After upgrading the Firmware the quality of the pictures improved. Some times the images can be a bit washed out with the flash but most of the time the image quality is crisp, clean and well toned Problems: None at this point. Allthough I believe the camera is not compatable with the new MicroDrives, which is a bumber if you want mass storage.

To much noise in the pictures.They look "dirty" compared to the ones I took with my previus (an 1,3 mb pixel Olympus). I returned mine and I will go for a Casio QV2000 instead(also a low price 2mp dc). Pity, because I really liked the camera in everything but the image quality. Problems: Tried to update the OS but didn't succeed.

Excellent camera. Have only had it 3 months, and already taken over 1000 pics. This is my 2nd DC but have used 3 or 4 on the job. EI200 is tops of all I have used. Great resolution and color; really captures light. Feels natural, and as easy to use has non-digital SLR cameras.

UPDATE - I have had this camera now for 6 months and have taken over 4500 pictures. The camera has been flawless. I am still exploring the various features and enjoy using the camera very much. Pentax has done a great job and if you search around you can get a great price. Problems: None

Hard to find, but well worth the search! After researching many DC's on the net I decided on the EI-200 based on features, design, price and Pentax's reputation. I've been a 35mm photographer for over 35 years and wanted a camera that felt, handled and looked like a "camera" not something from a SiFi movie. I set a $500 limit, because if this new "toy" wasn't up to the task, I didn't want to be out $800. I found it for $460 at B&H, who I've dealt with before. So far it has more than meet all ...