Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH

Announced Sep 2, 2009 •
Prime lens | Micro Four Thirds | H-H020
PSCL1

This is the first version.  Used on my Olympus EPL-1, IMO the image quality and 'look' are reminiscent of 35mm and 50mm Leica Summicrons and the Leica/Leitz-Minolta 40mm primes for the old CL.   It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Leica had a hand behind the scenes in designing this lens.  Detractors do cite its admittedly slow AF; but, for me, not much of a trade off for the stunning street shots of which it is capable.

Traded in some old kit lenses (14-42 II and 14) for this used. Basically broke even on the swap. First impressions... Its sharp but boy is it noisy and slow to focus. Extra stops of light vs kit lens are nice. Nice angle as well. Good for close portraits. Apparently the newer version has better contrast. TBH only plan to have it when I want something pocketable- the rest of the time would prefer pan 12-35 or oly 45 My main regret is not getting this with my GX7 rather than the kit zoom As ...

This Panasonic made lens is a truly great lens. The image quality is superb, sharp from edge to edge, with a bright max. aperture of f/1.7, produces great bokeh and lowlight performance. This lens would be equivalent to about a 40mm f/3.5 (fourthird sensors has 2 f stops more depth of field due to smaller sensors) in full frame 35mm format, though with the speed of an f/1.7, which can sometimes be beneficial when depth of field is needed and would get an equivalent depth of field 2 stops ...

AF of the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is VERY SLOW and NOISY on my Olympus OM-D E-M5. Not Acceptabe for me. Lens might be "fast" in the aperture sense, but AF is slow w/ lots of seeking & noise. Got this lens to be an indoor "party" lens - the loud and slow AF make this lens unsuitable for that task. I traded my Canon 5D and all my Canon kit (50mm f/1.4, 28-35L, 70-200L, 85mm 1.8) for an OM-D E-M5. I LOVE the E-M5. Love the retro silver look. Love the small and light size. Working on customizing and ...

IvanQ

Very nice and sharp pankake lens, well made, a must for indoors and night shot. Problems: A bit over rated, so the expectancy is higher than I get.

linux99

When I'm inside and all else fails I turn to this lens and get good images time after time. Sharp, great contrast and excellent low light performance due to the relatively fast aperture I'm really very satisfied with this as a great general purpose lens. Tend to use it a lot at parties and social gatherings, the small size and good performance really are at a sweet spot for jacket pocketable photo equipment. Problems: `

hhcs

This is a great lens. For me, it has the perfect balance of sharpness, size, bokeh effect, and focal length. This lens can be used for "environmental portraits" and can be taken anywhere without being conspicuous. I also use it a lot for indoor pictures.

.Sam.

The best NORMAL lens for m4/3. Small and sharp.

Lovely lens. Flat pancake suits PEN. Obvious vignette at f/1.7 but this adds to the look of the photo. Problems: Slow AF on PEN E-PL1 because focus moves all the elements, not internal focussing. When set to f/2 or brighter, PEN still liveviews still at f/2.8 so the deeper DOF in Liveview may deceive you. Iris blades loud in action as PEN adjusts light passing through during Liveview

amirput90

This is one of the three (m. zuiko 45mm, m.zuiko 12mm, lumix g 20mm) greatest lens ever created for 4/3 system. Problems: Not suitable for video shooting because the cracking sound created by the aperture blade mechanisme.