Olympus E-510 / EVOLT E-510

Announced Mar 5, 2007 •
10 megapixels | 2.5 screen | Four Thirds sensor

I still use it a lot after all these years. It continues to be a good camera. Dynamic range a bit limited, especially in bright light, but if you work with RAW files you can usually work with that.  Focusing  is a bit slow for fast sports, but it remains an excellent camera for portraits, and most things not moving too fast.  Both of the kit lenses are excellent, small, sharp and light.

photophile

Good operation & handling. Long battery life. Image stabiliser and live view. Problems: Not very good at dealing with highlights. Need to be careful in high contrast situations.

gmblack1910

I found out how hard it is to coordinate apeture, f stop etc . I use the automatic setiings. Takes good pictures but the zoom lens was expensive. It is an excellant camera though. Problems: Probably me!!

pricyl

not bad for entry-level DSLR. have good tones!

Olymp

+ body + handling + features + price

I have recently upgraded from an E-410 and although I received excelent results from the E-410, the E-510 is easier to hold and has an outstanding image stabilization system. Problems: None

This camera is one of the best I've used in a long time! Its a sturdy SLR that can be used for the most challenging situations, but it has an ease about it that's perfect for beginners or anyone looking to step up from beginner's-type cameras. The image quality is superb and the ease of the controls make tweaking the settings fast and efficient. All of this and it comes at an excellent price! I highly recommend this camera!!! Problems: Nothing so far. Read the instruction manual before ...

I have the E-510 since July 07. This my first post regarding this camera. I recently bought a set of Pro quality l2H Olympus lenses as a replacement for the two kit lenses. The change in the camera IQ was amazing. The 12-60 works like a champ, the 50-200 takes time to focus but gets there beautifully, the 50 is noisy and not quick to respond to focus but ammazing imagery and the 7-14 is a wonder despite that many complain about the difficulty of E-510 to get proper focus with extreme wide ...

This is my first DSLR so I'm no expert, but after a lot of "window shopping, I found my camera and two kit lenses for right at $600. At first I thought that was a lot until I remembered my Minolta SRT 100 was around $120 in 1971, or about $700 today. Not long after I bought it I found legacy lenses could be adapted. They work fine and I have two...a 50 mm and a 200 mm Zuiko. Auto is fine but working manually makes you really think about your shot. Problems: The only problem to date was a ...

Moved from E-500 now the price is a real "steal". Surprised how much better than E-500 in all respects. 12-60 lens is being sold very cheaply (£300 reduction at moment) so bought one also. The combination has lifted my photograhs way above anything I ever dreamed of. The "feel" of the camera and the 12-60 now puts it above any Nikon or Canon I have handled, and the results leave nothing to be desired. The focussing is so fast, and I am surprised how it copes with low light. Problems: None