Olympus E-500 / EVOLT E-500

Announced Sep 26, 2005 •
8 megapixels | 2.5 screen | Four Thirds sensor
photophile

Superb in operation and handling. Nice colours. Problems: The sensor developed a fault after 5 years - a thin blue line running down the the right hand side of the frame, particularly noticable at ISO-400 and above.

Dwight Brown

Great camera with many features. I sold it to a friend after purchasing an E1. Problems: Only problem was what I considered a "not so great" jpeg engine, so I just shot RAW.

I love this camera -- have had it for over 2 years and am actually reluctant to "upgrade" to any of the newer models as long as this camera still works so beautifully for me! Problems: none

Ah, those colors! Not many cameras have colors like the E-500 have. The Kodak sensor really does it for me. I think it's the last Olympus to use that sensor. I generally use my 14-54mm lens with it. Great results. I also own the E-330, released just a couple of months after but I really wanted to own this one based on the pictures posted on pbase web site. Really worht it. Paid $299 brand new in the box last week, with one lens 14-45mm. I am currently waiting for my new E-520. Problems: No ...

One of the lightest and smallest SLRs of its time. Many photographic and creative options. Very good jpegs, punchy pictures. with pro glas this one can keep up with many more expensive models from other brands.

Owned for 15months. Great build, comprehensive features and fantastic image quality. Iso 200 is the best as it retains a natural sharpness. Its great up to iso 400 but a litttle noisy after that, you will need to put it through pp after iso 400 for the best resullts. The jpegs this camera can take are unbelievable and because of the low compression pretty well match what you could get from raw. Get the exposures there or thereabouts and you can just use jpegs all the time. Use custom white ...

I have had the E500 for 2 years. Excellent camera for hobby! + easy to use menu rich features clear & large LCD screen good contruction Problems: - iso 800 is not good, noise is too much USB 1.1, quite slow

I have had the E500 for 2 years and I use it mainly for cityscapes. The automatic focusing is consistently good and I cannot improve on this manually or with the focus bracketing feature. Exposure compensation adjustment works reliably every time. I use the 7-14 wide angle frequently and this works consistently well, though it's heavy. I use a tripod a lot. Problems: The press buttons around the "OK" one stick sometimes. Only two presets are not enough and so rapid extra adjustments are ...

I got this camera about a year ago for my wife when the 2 lens kit started really coming down in price. She went to the store and looked at the Nikon D40 and the Canon DRebel and almost immediately pronounced the E-500 the clear winner. I'd been using my E-300 for about 2 years before that and had been extremely satisfied with my camera. When the E-500 was announced as a replacement for the E-300 I didn't think I liked it. I wasn't happy that Olympus felt they had to design a plastic, more ...

I waited 2 years to get this camera. The price came down and I snapped it up. It's full of features and will take a while to learn them all. Everyday I find something new in it. Problems: You have to be careful of the wb button. You can hit it by mistake with you thumb. Other then that I love it.