Olympus D-490 Zoom (C990Z)

Announced Aug 1, 2000 •

Overall this is a good camera, it takes good pictures and works in many different situations. Problems: It's realatively heavy for its size, also it has a slow response time for taking the picture, so don't plan on capturing the moment unless it's posed. (Don't use it on moving objects)

I've took about 10,000 photos with this cam. My opinion: pretty good point-n-shot camera if you are not looking 4 masterpieces and do not want to spend lots of money on camera. Problems: The first and MOST serious disadvantage - CONTRAST!!! Very often the sky is white instead of being blue?? And ground is too dark simultaneously. But it seems that the camera is able to get good color information from the matrix. The second disadvantage - it's unable to turn movie mode on quickly: you have to ...

I like the camera because it is my first digi cam. No reason to complain about the image quality. Of course not in poor light conditions and while zoomed out. But it's normal. Still for me a good value for such money (<500$). I hesitated a long time weather to buy a Canon EOS 300 or c990z and I finally decided to take this. I have not regretted my decision. To be honest most of advantages for me come up not due to the type of the camera ut due to the digi concept itself. Never the less - a ...

EASY TO USE, RECHAREABLE BATTERIES A MUST. Problems: LENS COVER CAME OFF TRACKS AS A RESULT BROKEN TRACK SUPPORT

I've been using the whole Olympus D series from the 400 to the D-490z, especially with the underwater housing (that a friend brought over from Japan). I really like it for the size, price and picture quality. Problems: One locked up on me. Took it back to Cosco and they replaced it.

Used this camera at work for about 3 months. It was my first digitial camera so it is hard to compare with other cameras. It seemed like a great camera except for the two exceptions noted below. Problems: 1) Serial transfer to PC is very slow; newer models have USB. With big pics, you can spend 10 minutes moving pics to your PC 2) LCD is impossible to use in bright light. I think this is a problem with lots of cameras, not just this one.

This camera takes nice pictures, it has many features but still Problems: I had to replace the bateries after 15Min, I was shocked. When i replaced them it still kept draining those bateries like hell. And that is a sad thing for such a good camera. I dit it back to the store and i never buy a digital camera again.

Locked up after three months but, overall I have been very satisfied with my camera, Problems: after just a few months of use the camera locked up completely and the lens would not retract. I had to send it to Olympus for repair and was without a camera for a few weeks. Olympus had to replace some board inside the camera. When I last used the camera the batteries read fully charged, but while the camera was locked up it apparently was draining the batteries. Olympus sent the camera back ...

Generally I liked the camera. However, I found the photos contain some random yellow spots/string. It becomes a problem when you want to view at actual pixel setting or enlarge part of the picture. Problems: Yellow spots or strings found in pictures taken inside my house. Asked the store to replace the camera and I still see the same picture quality problem. Has anyone else seen the same problem?

I love the design of this camera and bought it to supplement my Olympus 2000, which is not quite so easy to stuff in a pocket. Unfortunately, there is a trade off in quality for size and convenience. I was expecting a camera that was on par with my Olympus 2000 (also a 2.1 megapixel with the updated version 2020 selling for about $580 in New York). After using this camera for about a week, I have found that the autofocus and metering systems are indeed a step down from that of the 2000. I ...