Olympus D-490 Zoom (C990Z)

Announced Aug 1, 2000 •

CAMERA FAILED AFTER LESS THAN A YEAR! I bought this as my second digital camera. It worked great and captured some very sharp images. Nice feature set and good feel. Then, without warning, it stopped working. I take exceptional care of my cameras, so I was stunned when the camera would not turn on when I engage the sliding lens hood. I followed the instructiions for non-responding cameras posted on the Olympus web site, but the camera will still not work. Checked with my local ...

Construction of the lens cover is scary at best! Over time it is bound to push the lens out of alignment. The small memory card that comes with it is way too small. Close up macro photography is average. This would be a good camera for a first time, snapshot oriented family. No serious photographers would be happy with it. LCD screen eats up the battery life and simple viewfinder is not accurate. Pictures are digital, therefore they are clear and have good color (no credit to the camera, ...

I have an Olympus C-860L, the camera build is quite good except for the obviously different grey and rather flimsy cover for the power and data outlets. The handbook also tells you not to use the Olympus 3v power supply but does not appear to tell you what you CAN use. Problems: White spots on the image - Olympus tell me this is a characteristic of the lens and dust particles in the flash? This does not help when I cannot take flash photos for white spots ruining the images

Short version: Bought camera, locked up after 1 month of use. I sent it in for repair, they did not fix it. I send it again and they say nothing is wrong with it. It works for 1 week then locks up again. I send it back for a 3rd time. They keep it at least 2 months, then UPS loses it. They replace the camera with a "refurbished" one. What a crock! Camera has worked fine since. Problems: Support is a nightmare. No USB. Small Smartmedia card included.

Good camera. Terrible support. I would warn others and recommend they purchase another brand name. Problems: Support stinks. In essence, their warranty reads ANY impact makes the warranty invalid... that includes setting the camera on a table top. I dropped mine 2 feet to a carpeted floor and they refused to fix the camera.