Olympus C-5500 Sport Zoom

Announced Jan 5, 2005 •

This is waht I bought for my first digital camera over 5 years ago. I was very happy with it- very good images- natural colour good resolution, focus) And good control to get the image you want. it was the perfect camera to introduce me into the world of photgraphy and dgital photography. I miss it. I accidently smashed it tinto a rock in NewZealand a couple years ago... not I carry a E-620 the best camera Ive had since the c5500... and I have an uncle who is still enjoying his.

I have owned this camera for more than one year. In general it is a excellent machine! Very well constructed and with dozens of features, some of them simply can't be found in new models of any brand. Image quality, after some use, is superb. You must be patient with this camera because it will take your time to learn how to operate it. Problems: - Very slow sometimes to focus; - Too big to fit in any pocket; - Movie clips only 320X240 (but with image stabilization).

This is my second digital camera and second Olympus. I bought this C-5500 after reading about it on this site. The first few months I found no problems but after I started using it more for special events like plays, film, weddings and my graduation I got back the photos of those events the image quality had dropped a great deal. For my photographic needs this is a very unsatisfactory camera, for the adverage joe this is a reasonable compact.

Nice feature set for a compact camera. It is lightweight, has a fast startup time, and great time lapse feature. The 5x zoom is really great when you can't get close enough to the subject. Problems: Battery life is appalling. It needs really fresh NiMh to run at all. Mine has a current leak that runs the stored batteries dry in about 15 days of non use. Flash is under powered. I have a C-3030z that is much better on both flash power and battery life.

I like the camera but I bought this particular model because I had read that it could take 2.7 fps up to 5 pitcures, in HQ (sequence). But I can't do that.... Does any one know how to do it?? I could really use some help.

Glad I bought a 512 Mb memory card! Images from this camera approach SLR-quality. Focusing appears to be fairly accurate and center-weighted. Thiis is one of the best digital cameras I've seen for under $300. I bought a Tamron flip-top nylon case at Ritz Camera that fits this camera perfectly. I'm all set for picture taking for the next several years with this outfit. Problems: I don't see a menu for adjusting white balance. Maybe it's fully automatic on this camera, but I haven't ...

A great camera, I have been using it since early May. Excellent settings options and histogram feature is really neat. Great value for the price. Problems: You must read the online(cd version) of advanced manual to get full use of the camera.

I just recently purchased this camera after alot of researching and more researching. I have seen some comments about other cameras being light and how they really like that. This camera is built solid. A person can take pics with one hand or not. I wasn't sure how I would like the idea of the flash. But I really like it. For me, it beats having to waste a few mins in selecting flash on other models. Here, you just push a button, flash pops up and ready to go. I find it conviently located so ...

The Good: This is my 9th digicam over the past 4+ years and to my mind it may be the "sleeper" of '05. This camera has great image quality, fits the hand well, excellent control and flexibility and a 5X zoom ... all at a price around $300. It feels and acts like much more than a mere "point and shoot". The menu system is excellent. There are 4 "My Camera" choices available to customize various settings to your liking for quick recall - so just about every setting you would want is available. ...

This camera is a very good camera for the everyday family photographer. For the price this camera is hard to beat. The auto settings are good but once I started playing with the settings it came alive. I would reccomend this camera to anyone looking for a good quality reasonably priced camera.